EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had my wife take the 'Clave to work, she was driving through Philly at 6AM flowing with moderate traffic in the left lane southbound when a truck in the north bound lanes became tangled up with a pick-up and lost control. The truck (the big one) was jack-knifing at speed heading right for her with only the concrete barrier separating a head-on. She looked and swerved into the middle lane as the truck exploded into the divider, the divider thankfully kept the truck on his side of the highway. Sparks, truck parts and concrete divider material rained down on the southbound cars including our Enclave.

Though shaken, and literally shaking, she thought the car probably just sustained some superficial paint damage and she would pull over when it was safe and check it out, that's when all the warning lights came on. A large chuck of something went through the lower grill, the radiator and the a/c parts. She pulled off the highway and coasted to a stop as the over temperature annunciator came on and the DIC said "do not drive".

She called me, we decided to call 911 and report it as part of the bigger accident, which was the big story in the news channels as it closed the highway, thankfully no one was seriously hurt. The police didn't come right away so she called back and we remembered to hit the blue button, the folks at Onstar were very helpful...I wondered later if they should have called us when we got the do not drive annunciator.

One weird thing was that the warning tone probably associated with the overheat and fluid loss would not go off no matter what she did and the oil change life went to zero % even though it had 90% before the incident, which makes sense.

So it needs a windshield and radiators and some minor bodywork. They are going to pull the engine codes and change the oil and run diagnostics to make sure the engine is OK. The parts are on order and readily available from GM so we should be up and running soon! ;D

One thing we learned is that even with our upgraded rental car coverage $30 a day can't get an Enclave like vehicle, we ended up with a Jeep Cherokee, I can't believe how loud the thing is. We are going to increase our rental coverage again as it's fairly cheap to do.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Wow, I'm glad the Enclave took the brunt of the accident and not you wife. It sounds as though she could have been really hurt if her guardian angel wasnt' watching out for her. I hope you are able to get the repairs done quickly and not have much of an insurance hassle. The fact that Onstar didn't call her is a bit distrubing esp. for the impact going through the grill.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Enclavious said:
Wow, I'm glad the Enclave took the brunt of the accident and not you wife. It sounds as though she could have been really hurt if her guardian angel wasnt' watching out for her. I hope you are able to get the repairs done quickly and not have much of an insurance hassle. The fact that Onstar didn't call her is a bit distrubing esp. for the impact going through the grill.
Absolutely, if that truck broke though the median divider I sure several people would have been killed.

We are not having an insurance hassle at all, NJM, great company!

Another plug should go to Metro Buick in downtown Philly, the closest dealer to the accident and where the road side folks sent the flat bed. Joe their service writer/manager? was excellent, he has called me daily to update me on parts availability and the adjusters conversation. We'll see how it comes out but so far I'm very impressed with the dealer!

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
Wow, how terrible. I'm glad to hear that your wife is OK.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
So sorry to hear about the accident johnt, but so glad it wasn't worse and your wife is ok! It is nice to hear about the multiple warnings and the DIC even saying "Do Not Drive". Did you ask onstar why they didn't automatically call?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Onstar would only call if they get the message of airbag deployment.

·
Registered
21 Posts
johnt26: We drive frequently from Lewisburg, WV to visit my wife's folks in Levittown PA and use the turnpike from Carlisle thru Philadelphia; I know just how dangerous that road can be, especially during rush hour. I am glad that your vehicle can be repaired, but mainly I thank the Lord that your wife and all those involved are ok. Trust that recovery for all persons and all things will be rapid. Have a great day!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wow John, sorry about the accident, but thankful your wife's okay. How scary, but it's comforting to know all the safety that's built into the 'Clave. ;)

·
Registered
484 Posts
Wow! Your wife did have an angel on her shoulder :angel: Happy to hear she is OK. And, happy to hear your Buick Dealer is a good one.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Enclavious said:
I didn't know that. I guess you have to hope you don't have a serious injury in a high speed rear end collision then.
Wouldn't the head curtain air bags the cover the rear hatch area deploy if you were involved in a high speed rear-end collision? Just curious, because it seems the ones to each side of the 3rd row seat could cover the rear window.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, it's back!!, sort of.

Thanks for all the kind thoughts from everyone following the incident! :thumb:

All the mechanical stuff is done (radiator, condenser, windshield, oil change due to overheat) but we are still awaiting several body parts. The damage is superficial to mostly the lower grill but requires the whole bumper cover to be replaced. Parts guy has "no idea" how long because they laid-off so many people in the distribution system that all he gets is voicemail...a plea has gone out to the regional manager.

It is nice to have the 'Clave back!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts