EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking over my Enclave today with my son & opened the hood & he asked "where's the battery?" Well, we started looking around & then as a last resort opened the manual which was no help at all. I know its there but it must be really buried!

Just wondering.... :help:

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks...I was wondering what that "hatch" was for but I didn't want to take it apart.. My son has an 03 Saturn with the battery in the trunk..away from the heat of the engine.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
My 2005 LeSabre has the battery under the back seat.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Had to bring this one back up, as I saw it searching around.

The reason for the battery location (as said directly by a GM Lambda engineer in a video) is twofold:

1) Lends itself to better weight balance. Granted, this isn't a light sports coupe, but every little bit helps, and taking the relatively large weight of a battery off the nose and putting it in the middle is beneficial on a small scale.
2) Being out of the engine compartment, and essentially interior mounted, it is taken away from the high heat, dampness, and dirt that invade the engine compartment over time and actually reduce the battery life. It also further cleans up the engine compartment, leaving more space.

There's quite a few cars that have the battery in the trunk or under the rear seat, and it's for the same reasons.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
caddycruiser said:
Had to bring this one back up, as I saw it searching around.

The reason for the battery location (as said directly by a GM Lambda engineer in a video) is twofold:

1) Lends itself to better weight balance. Granted, this isn't a light sports coupe, but every little bit helps, and taking the relatively large weight of a battery off the nose and putting it in the middle is beneficial on a small scale.
2) Being out of the engine compartment, and essentially interior mounted, it is taken away from the high heat, dampness, and dirt that invade the engine compartment over time and actually reduce the battery life. It also further cleans up the engine compartment, leaving more space.

There's quite a few cars that have the battery in the trunk or under the rear seat, and it's for the same reasons.

I like this idea!![/color]

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hey, I'm a believer! We just sold my wifes 2001 Bonneville, and before I did I thought I should put in a new battery. Well, once I found it under the back seat, it was a breeze to replace. AND it looked like the day it came from the factory. I couldn't believe how clean it was. I have to believe that it's location had something to do with the fact that it lasted 6 1/2 years.

Now, if we could just get our......oops....HER ENCLAVE :cheers: I can check out the battery location!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
This is really interesting. When did this start, I have never owned a car that didn't have the battery in the engine compartment. This would have driven me nuts looking for it. :confused: ;D

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
jacko said:
I owned a 1970 VW Beetle that had the battery under the rear seat.
Yeah, but I'm not sure that counts, it had an engine in the Trunk ;D ;D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Here's a view from below.
From a heat stand point it is next to the exhaust pipe, but out in the air flow is probably cooler than engine bay!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
jacko said:
That's true! And the gas tank was where the radiator belonged!!! :confused:
Also, if I remember right, under the back seat would have been a great place for the VW battery as the engineer said it was to get the battery out from under the hot engine compartment.  Those Beetles with the heater going full blast couldn't melt an ice cube on the back seat floor!!! :dancing:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts