EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at purchasing either an Enclave or Acadia. I currently lease a Toyota Sequoia which I really like, however, I'm looking for better gas mileage and more updated features.

Anyway, I thought for sure that we were going to get the Acadia. My husband and I test drove the Acadia and it was okay but I didn't care for all the chrome/plastic in the interior. I sat in an Enclave and thought it was beautiful but it was not available for a test-drive at that time.

All of a sudden, I've decided that I would prefer to get the Enclave.

1) My only concern is cargo space as compared to both the Acadia and the Sequoia. I know that technically the Acadia and Enclave are supposed to have similar interior space, however, the salesperson told us that a 4x8 sheet of plywood would fit in an Acadia but not in an Enclave. It made me wonder if there truly is less real space in an Enclave. We like to load up the back of our Sequoia when we go on a trip with our two kids. I still want to be able to do this in the Enclave without feeling like we sacrificed a lot of space. Also, if you have people in the third row, is there much space at all to carry items such as coolers, dufflebags or suitcases?

2) Also, I'm wondering if I will miss the feeling of being up high...the Acadia and Enclave seem to sit much lower to the ground.

3) Another concern is the perforated leather seats in the Enclave -- is this an issue with kids as far as the cleanability of the perforated leather? I've only had regular leather in my cars.

4) One more question: I'm not a big sunroof person but my husband is. This will mainly be my car but also the family car for trips. Is a sunroof a necessity?

Just wondering if anyone who has had both an Enclave and Sequoia or another larger SUV can answer the cargo capacity and other questions.

Thanks so much!

P.S. I'm thinking of getting the Enclave CXL AWD in Gold Mist with Cashmere Leather, DVD, Driver Confidence Package, and possibly sunroof.

·
Registered
25 Posts
baseballmom94 said:
I am looking at purchasing either an Enclave or Acadia. I currently lease a Toyota Sequoia which I really like, however, I'm looking for better gas mileage and more updated features.

Anyway, I thought for sure that we were going to get the Acadia. My husband and I test drove the Acadia and it was okay but I didn't care for all the chrome/plastic in the interior. I sat in an Enclave and thought it was beautiful but it was not available for a test-drive at that time.

All of a sudden, I've decided that I would prefer to get the Enclave.

1) My only concern is cargo space as compared to both the Acadia and the Sequoia. I know that technically the Acadia and Enclave are supposed to have similar interior space, however, the salesperson told us that a 4x8 sheet of plywood would fit in an Acadia but not in an Enclave. It made me wonder if there truly is less real space in an Enclave. We like to load up the back of our Sequoia when we go on a trip with our two kids. I still want to be able to do this in the Enclave without feeling like we sacrificed a lot of space. Also, if you have people in the third row, is there much space at all to carry items such as coolers, dufflebags or suitcases?

2) Also, I'm wondering if I will miss the feeling of being up high...the Acadia and Enclave seem to sit much lower to the ground.

3) Another concern is the perforated leather seats in the Enclave -- is this an issue with kids as far as the cleanability of the perforated leather? I've only had regular leather in my cars.

4) One more question: I'm not a big sunroof person but my husband is. This will mainly be my car but also the family car for trips. Is a sunroof a necessity?

Just wondering if anyone who has had both an Enclave and Sequoia or another larger SUV can answer the cargo capacity and other questions.

Thanks so much!

P.S. I'm thinking of getting the Enclave CXL AWD in Gold Mist with Cashmere Leather, DVD, Driver Confidence Package, and possibly sunroof.
You remind me of myself.

I had a Sequoia. Although I loved the look, I didn't love to drive it. I felt like the third row was too high and I was forever sitting up to see behind over the head rests of the Sequoia. I also didn't feel as though it had a lot of space behind the third row.

Two weeks ago I had planned on an Acadia. Had a great deal on a fully loaded White diamond at 1500 behind invoice. It was being driven by the dealer's wife. Anyway, overnight while they sent for it to get cleaned up, I sat on the Internet forever reasearching because, like you, I was unstatisfied with the plastic interior. I had remembered a friend telling me about a Buick. I said ,,,"But, it's a Buick" and turned up my nose. I sought it out that night, found one to drive the next day...and fell in love. I still really like the Acadia. It appeals to the sporty side of me, but the Enclave is more elegant and I love the interior!

I have had both types of leather. Frankly, perforated is slightly harder to keep clean.

I love sunroofs. I like light, but this is even better b/c there are roller shades.

I feel like the Acadia is 1/2" tigher all around, but both have ample room inside...that's what we went for..the room inside is amazing compared to the outside.

Sequioas do have the V8 though....

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
If you have a problem with filling up the back of the Enclave with the third-row seats down, you're taking too much gear. There's a ton of room back there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just measured the width between interior rear wheel wells and it is 48+ inches. The difficulty with 4 X 8 sheet goods is the width of the rear liftgate opening. On the Acadia and Outlook the bottom corners are almost square and they are 48+ inches wide at the bottom corner. The Enclave has a tapered liftgate and opening and it is less than 48 inches wide. Other than this small design change the interior cargo room should be almost the same for all three of these vehicles. This is one case where the stylists won out over parcticallity.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Re: Enclave Cargo Room vs. Acadia Cargo Room vs. Other SUVs plus other Questions

russstan said:
I just measured the width between interior rear wheel wells and it is 48+ inches. The difficulty with 4 X 8 sheet goods is the width of the rear liftgate opening.
How about length? That is, what's the longest item you could carry on the floor behind the front seats and still close the rear hatch?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi Baseballmom94!
I was concerned about the amount of room for all our "baggage" when going away also. But, we have 4 kids. Since you just have the 2, you can fold down the back seats and you would be all set with room to store everything. We, on the other hand will not have much room since we have 2 kids still in a double stroller that takes up the whole trunk. We definitely can fill up all the empty space inside.

We've only had our Enclave less than a week. So, I can't answer the leather question. We will eventually! That's for sure. ;)

We also decided not to get the sunroofs with our special order. It saved us money also. My husband has a sunroof in his Chevy Avalance and he never opens it. We are not big on the sunroof. So, ours does not have them. If you plan to buy off the lot, I noticed a majority of the Enclaves have the sunroof. But, you never know.

Will you special order it if you did decide to go with the Enclave?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Relative to the length of the cargo area:

At floor level it is about 4.5 feet long to the second row and 7 feet 2 inches to the back of the center console.

Since the rear liftgate has a bit of a forward slant and the seat backs have a backward slant the lenght will decrease as you get above the floor.

G

·
yes i have a large suv, more space than the sequoia has behind the third row, i have a yukon xl, yes i sit high and mighty and feel like im king or the road, and that big engine is an ego inflater but the enclave give you the more laid back luxury feel. You still sit high, this is still and suv-err CUV, and there is plenty of space with or with out the third row folded for four good sized suit cases, and toys and crap, but if you like power keep in mind this is still a v-6, i just think leather is leather, don't know much there. The sunroof is nice, adds alot of light to the cabin and gets rid of the closed in feel, i cant answer that for you thats kinda of an IMO question, every body is different there. ITs weather you want it or not.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate the replies. I'm looking forward to test-driving an Enclave.

We test-drove and Acadia so I'll be interested to see how the Enclave compares. Just sitting in an Enclave felt more luxurious.

I guess whenever you switch cars, it takes awhile to get used to the new feeling. For some reason, I'm attached to the Sequoia even though a lot of the features are outdated and it's a gas guzzler.

Do most of you think that SUVs are on their way out? -- do you know a lot of people that are "downsizing" to CUVs?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Re: Enclave Cargo Room vs. Acadia Cargo Room vs. Other SUVs plus other Questions

Why not get the towing packing and then use a hitch mounted cargo carrier? Here's a link as an example of some of the various types available:

http://www.prolineracks.com/flatbed-hitch-mounted-cargo-racks.html

With the 2" receiver, you can put quite a bit on one of these -- plus, you then have the bonus of having the transmission cooler, the towing switch (which is a toggle switch on the console that changes the shift points and shifting of the transmission). In my mind, this was the biggest no-brainer option for $425 -- and of course, if you do need to tow something . . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts