EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, we all know that it is mostly plastic. Now that chrome is making a comeback of sorts, I wonder if the new plastic/chrome is any better than the old stuff that would dull after a few years. I certainly hope so. :-\

·
Registered
181 Posts
I found the front bumper chrome does do well with a "golf Ball Sized Rock" impact at 70 MPH.
It didn't Bust it but put a "small Chip" in it. Only I seem to notice it unless someone else looks real close
I am glad it hit that instead of paint on the front of the car!

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
My six year old Pathfinder has same plastic chorme surrounding grill. I have recently noticed that it has a small bubble about the size of the dime.

I think it is basically plastic with a thin mirror like film coated with laminate. So eventually it will wear off, especially if anything with slight sharp edge hits it.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At least it won't rust. 8)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Actually there is chrome on your plastic and it is plated on using a process similar to the one used to chrome plate steel bumpers and trim. What you really see is nickel with a very thin layer of chrome. The chrome keeps the nickel looking shinny by preventing it from corroding/oxidizing. When you see the latest Explorers the big chrome bumpers/facias are all plastic plated. Same with the large chrome front bumper ends on the new GM 2500 pickups.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts