EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My wife and I bought a 2008 Enclave CXL a year ago, and it wobbles sometimes at highway speeds. Well, at this point we've had a lot of the suspension components--shocks, sway-bar links, wheel bearings--replaced, and it still has the problem. We just got new tires, too. At this point the only thing I can think of that might be the problem is that the front wheel bearings need replacing also (we only replaced the rear wheel bearings), or the front sway-bar links need to be replaced, too (we only replaced the rear ones), or that one or more of the rims is bent. A mechanic told us the suspension is tight, but it's like the chassis of the car is not secured tightly to the undercarriage of the car when this happens, and the chassis moves from side to side. Does anyone know what might be causing this problem, or have any of you had this problem? Any help in diagnosing this problem would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, My wife and I bought a 2008 Enclave CXL a year ago, and it wobbles sometimes at highway speeds. Well, at this point we've had a lot of the suspension components--shocks, sway-bar links, wheel bearings--replaced, and it still has the problem. We just got new tires, too. At this point the only thing I can think of that might be the problem is that the front wheel bearings need replacing also (we only replaced the rear wheel bearings), or the front sway-bar links need to be replaced, too (we only replaced the rear ones), or that one or more of the rims is bent. A mechanic told us the suspension is tight, but it's like the chassis of the car is not secured tightly to the undercarriage of the car when this happens, and the chassis moves from side to side. Does anyone know what might be causing this problem, or have any of you had this problem? Any help in diagnosing this problem would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Did you find a solution? Having same problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Same issue and can’t figure it out. Front end has a soft wobble @ all speeds. Steering is straight and no steering wobble. Tires are new and checked multiple times for tread separation/balance and all good tire wise. Newer sway links and bushings. No unexpected movement in joints, etc in front suspension when using a crowbar. No bearing grind or play in front wheels. No clunks or clinks … just a soft thumpy rhythmic wobble - almost like a wheel is out of round feeling (but wheels/balance/tires are all checked good). 150k miles, original struts.
would worn out struts cause a wobbly feeling like this. Car doesn’t bounce or sag that I can tell. Like a soft/muffled “whomp whomp whomp” sound when driving. Also, much louder when on curving entrance ramp to freeway (curving to right) it almost becomes a harder thumping. Hear of while coasting in neutral as well as in gear. If it were allowed to progress, I imagine it would become a cyclical rattle noise almost like lugs were loose (they aren’t). No pulsing when braking. Things sound/feel a bit loose in front end when I go over cracks in pavement but no sharp sounds or clunking. Upper dog one engine mount replaced… don’t see odd movement from engine when shifted in and out of gear.
almost like something has loosened but rubber is involve the the thumping because it’s a soft bumping.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem solved!!

First you'll want to find a good mechanic. I took it to one shop several months ago where they said they replaced the rear shocks but I'm almost positive they actually didn't replace them. Here's what the mechanic at the shop we took it to last week did to fix the problem:

• replaced rear shock absorbers with new ones
  • replaced rear upper forward lateral link with a new one
  • replaced rear upper left lateral link with a new one
  • replaced rear upper right lateral link with a new one
  • replaced front control-arm bushings with new ones (note: lower forward guide)
  • installed adjustable camber bolt and camber kit (an alignment CANNOT be done on these vehicles without these adjustable bolts- make sure they don't charge you for an alignment without these)
  • replaced the control arm with a new one
  • did 4 wheel alignment: left camber was off, was -1.8 degrees initially, adjusted to -0.6; left toe was off, was -3/32" initially, adjusted to 1/16"; right toe was off, was 1/8" initially, adjusted to 1/16"
These are very nice and very comfortable cars, but be prepared to replace a lot of things on them if they have over 150,000 miles on them! Ours is at 195,000 miles now. Hoping to get another 50,000 miles out of it! Happy motoring. :)

--John

1 - 5 of 5 Posts