EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! This question is for anyone who has an enclave that’s in the last five years.

I had and 2008 Buick enclave. And I loved it! In fact, I still have it because it’s worth more to me for the occasional trip than I would ever get for it.

I’m looking at a couple newer enclaves. Both are 2019, one is an Avenir. My 2008 had a couple of issues. One, it needed a new transmission around 170,000 miles. I know, I know… I tend to run cars till they’re dead, and I drive a lot! And I keep seeing that Hyundai and Toyota etc. run for 300,000 miles. My question is, do the newer ones still have transmission issues? Do they still have transmission issues?

Question number two is, I had big issues with sunroof leaking. I know you’re supposed to clean the drain hole, but the second time the leak happened it was an outside car. The damage was horrible! Has GM fix this problem? Or do I just need to buy one without a sunroof?

Last question I have, is the quiet factor really that much better in the Buick than it is in the GMC or Chevy version of this car? Anybody know? Thanks so much everyone!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Your post was 9 months ago so I don't know if your still looking for any info, but here goes. I just (3 months) leased a 2020 Enclave. As for sunroofs (Mine doesn't have one) I believe the negatives far outweigh the benefits. Unless you must have one, do without. As for the transmission, it's a weak point with a lot of manufacturers, but with some TLC it will last a while, but no one can pinpoint a time line. Avoid overheating the vehicle, a $250. tow is penny's compared to the possible damage you could do. Change your ATF during your oil change service in the 24,000 mile range. Clean fluid does wonders toward extending the life of a transmission. As for the quiet factor, mine is very quiet except the tires (Goodyear) seem a little noisy to me. Buick plays the quiet factor up, so there may be something to that. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
222 Posts
Ibis, the OP hasn't been back on here since the original post, but thanks for your reply. My experience with the 2018 has been very good so far and it is very quiet on the road along with the smoothest possible ride, IMO.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2011 Leather was soft and dead quite , horsepower to the road was fantastic. 19 in tire with Mich Lats.

My 2017 rides very very hard in comparison. The seals at the windows are not the same , the doors slam shut . Feels like less sound proofing . Disappointed for sure .
20 in tires . Did GM make some cuts ???

Overall the 2011 had a superior drive .

To note I just test drove the Avenir 2020 . Not impressed for that price.

My 2011 was also more comfortable , quite , held road imperfections at bay ....etc... than the 2020.

Really don't understand .

·
Super Moderator
222 Posts
Did the 2020 Avenir have the Technology package? The constantly damping suspension is only available in that package and without it the ride isn't as soft. I haven't driven an older model, so I can't compare the rides.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ride and Handling is somewhat relative. My 2020 Enclave (Basic, non tech package) rides pretty soft in my mind, but like Alvenir I have not driven an earlier model to compare. In my years with Rover, our "Active Suspension" models had a firmer ride and better handling in lieu of a softer ride that lots of people want. I'm satisfied with the ride and handling, but there is always room for improvement, but again it's all somewhat relevant.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have a 2018 Enclave Avenir w/Technology Package. While our previous 2009 Enclave CXL was excellent, the 2018 is superior regarding quietness and ride softness. Its drivetrain is superior in that pulling a 3,500 lb boat/trailer, the 9-speed auto holds gears much better and doesn't hunt for gears nearly as much as the 2009 6-speed transmission (both have trailering packages). I don't even need to use the trailoring button on the 2018 - I had to use it on the 2009. Been more than satisfied with the 2018 Avenir - so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just made the decision and purchased my 3rd E .

As mentioned the Avenir ( tech , yes )was ok but the oversize tires reduced ride comfort even when set on touring mode . Went for the Essence ( 18 in Goodyears ) as I have no need for Avenir extras , not even the sunroof , adds wind noise .....lol....

Ride is the priority over here . No disrespect to OP that have up models.

Side note .... ride and quietness is also fantastic in the Ram 1500 it surpasses most quite easily... believe it or not . Also to mention is the Telluride , though may be a bit rushed to market .

·
Super Moderator
222 Posts
Interesting that you mentioned touring mode. If I'm not mistaken, that only changes the display, not the ride. At any rate, good luck with your new Enclave.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I tend to agree with CocoB as mine is also an Essence with 18 inch Goodyears. They (Goodyears) seem a little noisy, but ride and handle fine. I also can do without some of the high tech extras and a sunroof, but two things I wish it had are better seats and rain sense wipers. My Grand Cherokee had several things that the Enclave does not. It would be nice to offer stand alone options, but that's not going to happen on these vehicles.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I recall the 2015/26 Grand Cherokee base was also a very quite serene smooth ride .

I guess the Car Writers / Reviewers are more interested in track results currently.....lol..... So we get todays manufacturing to impress them .
... big hard tires , tight suspension et all......

We lost a whole generation of drivers not knowing the difference .IMO.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I was very happy with the Grand Cherokee overall, but the vehicle hasn't changed in years so I wanted something different and domestic. The Enclave filled the bill nicely.

·
Super Moderator
222 Posts
My 2012 GC had a great ride and was an awesome vehicle but I wanted to see the ride difference in the Avenir. It is superior, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy another GC.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Interesting that you mentioned touring mode. If I'm not mistaken, that only changes the display, not the ride. At any rate, good luck with your new Enclave.
The 2019 manual doesn't have a specific explanation of Touring Mode, but it says that Sport Mode changes the steering and suspension for more precise control. So I would assume Touring Mode provides softer steering and suspension, but I don't notice any difference between the two.

·
Super Moderator
222 Posts
On models without the trailering package, there is a button on the dash for Sport Mode. With the trailering package there is a Tow-Haul button that works basically the same as Sport mode.

The Touring/Sport mode display is what I was referring to and is separate from the above. It's a bit confusing because changing the display option doesn't change the ride. From the manual:
"Display Themes (Uplevel) : There
are two instrument cluster display
configurations to choose from: Sport
and Touring."

·
Registered
170 Posts
I believe the poster was referring to Sport Mode, not the Sport Theme. On the 2019 Avenir the Tow/Haul Mode is not the same as Sport Mode. There is a Mode button which selects between Touring, Sport, and Tow/Haul. Tow/Haul mode adjusts the shift pattern and increases sway control while Sport Mode adjusts the steering and suspension.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Interesting perspectives on Sport/Touring Mode and Tow/Haul Mode. Alvenir, this is what my owner's material says regarding my 2018 Enclave Avenir (see pic). The 2018 with Tow/Haul most certainly does have sport mode - when not activated, the vehicle is in touring mode. Read the entire content of the attached pic. 2018 Enclave Avenir Driver Mode Control.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts