EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can one get extra keys made - other than the dealer?
I have tried several places including Lowes and Home Depot and they all say they don't have the blanks that match my Enclave key.
Thanks,
Wetash

·
Registered
360 Posts
I would try a real locksmith. They typically are up to date on blanks for cars.

Good Luck. :thumb:

·
Registered
200 Posts
The key has to be programmed. I don't think anyone can do that but the dealer so I doubt anyone sells them outside a GM dealership.

The new age of high tech...they gotcha by da b..lls

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I haven't read the manual regarding this but I know for my Ford I had to buy the key from a dealer but I could program it myself.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The Keys that a Locksmith makes will only unlock doors. To get the one with the chip you must go through GM. They must program them for your car.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Ebay has a few blanks...

·
Registered
360 Posts
Jake_99 said:
The key has to be programmed. I don't think anyone can do that but the dealer so I doubt anyone sells them outside a GM dealership.

The new age of high tech...they gotcha by da b..lls
This is true. I was incomplete in my response. You need to go to the dealer or find a locksmith that can service the GM Pass Key III+ system. These keys have a "+" mark at the base near the plastic end.

Good Luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
721 Posts
It depends on whether you want to GET INTO the car or actually START and drive it. To run the vehicle, you'll need a Pass Key III blank, and you can only get those at a GM dealer. They run around $40. If you just want a "safe key" to get into the car, you don't need the chip and you can get one for under $10. I'd be very wary of buying something from Ebay to save $10 if you don't have any guarantee it will work; once you cut it, it's worthless if it doesn't work on your car.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Note that an OnStar advisor can unlock the car, but can't START it for you. So a non-programmable key that just opens the door is no bargain. As I understand it, if you are on the road alone some dark and stormy night and lose your only key, you'll need an open dealership to get underway again.

Remember "hide-a-key" magnetic hey boxes? Trouble was, there were only a limited number of places to hide the key on the car. Now, with OnStar, it may be worth the security risk (and the $40) to have a spare ignition key hidden somewhere INSIDE the car.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
PrairieWind said:
Now, with OnStar, it may be worth the security risk (and the $40) to have a spare ignition key hidden somewhere INSIDE the car.
Since I'm the main driver of the Enclave, I hide the second supplied key inside. Now, If I can just remember to not lock my cell phone inside! :banghead: :happy:

·
Registered
200 Posts
PrairieWind said:
Note that an OnStar advisor can unlock the car, but can't START it for you. So a non-programmable key that just opens the door is no bargain. As I understand it, if you are on the road alone some dark and stormy night and lose your only key, you'll need an open dealership to get underway again.

Remember "hide-a-key" magnetic hey boxes? Trouble was, there were only a limited number of places to hide the key on the car. Now, with OnStar, it may be worth the security risk (and the $40) to have a spare ignition key hidden somewhere INSIDE the car.
I did/do this all the time with my Expedition. But I don't need Onstar, I have a keypad on the door. If your key is locked it the car, what's the chances you remembered your phone?! Call the keypad guady, I call it practical. Why carry a FOB or key if you don't have to - AND - both you and your significant other can get to the car and USE it without both having to have a spare key/fob on you. I can't count how many times I've gone out the Acadia, only to return to get the KEY. I feel like I have a TV without a remote...

·
Registered
55 Posts
I bought two blanks from eBay. I took them to a hardware store and had them cut. They gave me some grief at first but then I explained I did not want them to program them, then they agreed. After they were cut I programmed them in the Enclave. It was in the book and really easy.

Here is an example...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300181949154

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bought two Enclave original OEM blank keys on ebay, had them both cut at Home Depot, and programmed them in the Enclave ignition using the instructions in the users manual. They work well and didn't cost much.
The only issue I had was finding a person at Home Depot who was willing to cut the keys in their machine. Their concern was that because there are no blanks that fit the Enclave key, there are no perfect slots in the key cutting machines that the Eclave blanks fit into. I just found someone who agreed to cut the keys anyway - using the key profile duplicator. The fun thing is that the Home Depot person refused to charge me to cut the keys because they hadn't provided the blanks.

Forgot who told me about being able to get the keys on ebay - but thanks very much for your post!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Tralfaz said:
It depends on whether you want to GET INTO the car or actually START and drive it. To run the vehicle, you'll need a Pass Key III blank, and you can only get those at a GM dealer. They run around $40. If you just want a "safe key" to get into the car, you don't need the chip and you can get one for under $10. I'd be very wary of buying something from Ebay to save $10 if you don't have any guarantee it will work; once you cut it, it's worthless if it doesn't work on your car.
Just noticed this post, Tralfaz. I was looking for a key blank without a chip... locksmiths don't seem to have them... Could it be I just picked the wrong locksmiths?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts