EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What can be done beyond regular maintenance to get maximum fuel efficiency, power, and performance from a Buick Enclave?

For instance, I came across:
Innovative Performance Chip/Power Programmer for Buick Enclave 3.6L - Improve Your Fuel Mileage, Save Gas & Gain More MPG, Increase Horsepower & Torque with this Engine Tuner.
Any need for and experience with this?

I'm also considering a Derale Transmission Cooler to help with towing.

·
Registered
126 Posts
If that chip would help you can be sure Buick would have already done it. Don't waste your money.
As for a transmission cooler if you plan on towing beyond the max for your Enclave without the towing
package you should have it to go up to 4500lbs.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
This isn't a performance vehicle and it has some reliability issues, imho it wouldn't be prudent to monkey around with it. (it is starved for torque, how sweet would it be to get say 25% more at a lower rpm)

But, I would like to see GM's software connected to the car myself, before remapping or changing anything around.

I have a coworker who keeps asking me why I don't reflash my BMW, I could have 380 HP at the wheels for a mere $700, when the car is out-of-warranty anyway. I personally just don't feel anything is free, sure every 4th guy on the forum has done it, but they're 16 and mommy and daddy bought them their car. I don't know what it does to the longevity and know there's no turning back....

·
Registered
3 Posts
i would like to see more performance in the Enclave. This is the same 3.6L motor that is in the Cadillac SXT. so i know it can stand a little more HP?

·
Super Moderator
552 Posts
Some cars it's definitely worth it, especially over on the Euro side where so many share engines and the factory just tunes them differently for each car. The 2.0 TSI in my VW CC is used all across the Audi and VW lines and makes wildly different power depending on the vehicle. I've got a stage 2 tune on mine and it's night and day different from the stock car with zero driveability/reliability issues.

The problem for the lambda crowd is there hasn't really been a performance market for these vehicles. 99% of people buying a Traverse/Acadia/Enclave are fine with the power they make. I don't doubt there is a little room to squeeze out some extra HP since the 3.6 LLT from the lambda is also in the 2010-2011 Camaro making 312/278 HP/TQ but unless that tune is coming from a reputable tuner I'd stay away. The fact that they're tuned to run 87 tells me there's room to mess with timing curves and make a 91 tune with better power.

Also, someone mentioned it being the same 3.6 in the Caddy... it's not. Cadillac uses the 3.6 LFX, which is an upgraded version of the LLT with better injectors, valves, fuel pump, manifolds and exhaust. No tune is ever going to get an LLT to LFX numbers without upgrading those parts first.

·
Registered
6,671 Posts
Someone did indeed add a turbocharger to their Acadia.

theres a post about it with pics.
If you want to go that route.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Someone did indeed add a turbocharger to their Acadia.

theres a post about it with pics.
If you want to go that route.
How much of a difference did it make?

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Some cars it's definitely worth it, especially over on the Euro side where so many share engines and the factory just tunes them differently for each car. The 2.0 TSI in my VW CC is used all across the Audi and VW lines and makes wildly different power depending on the vehicle. I've got a stage 2 tune on mine and it's night and day different from the stock car with zero driveability/reliability issues.

The problem for the lambda crowd is there hasn't really been a performance market for these vehicles. 99% of people buying a Traverse/Acadia/Enclave are fine with the power they make. I don't doubt there is a little room to squeeze out some extra HP since the 3.6 LLT from the lambda is also in the 2010-2011 Camaro making 312/278 HP/TQ but unless that tune is coming from a reputable tuner I'd stay away. The fact that they're tuned to run 87 tells me there's room to mess with timing curves and make a 91 tune with better power.

Also, someone mentioned it being the same 3.6 in the Caddy... it's not. Cadillac uses the 3.6 LFX, which is an upgraded version of the LLT with better injectors, valves, fuel pump, manifolds and exhaust. No tune is ever going to get an LLT to LFX numbers without upgrading those parts first.
As far as I know, the 2.0T engine in my Audi Q3 is mechanically similar, or perhaps identical, to those powering other Audi models. I think that you are correct in stating that Audi essentially just tunes them differently, resulting in different output and performance from model to model.

·
Super Moderator
552 Posts
As far as I know, the 2.0T engine in my Audi Q3 is mechanically similar, or perhaps identical, to those powering other Audi models. I think that you are correct in stating that Audi essentially just tunes them differently, resulting in different output and performance from model to model.
Yep, VAG (Volkswagen Auto Group... aka, Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, SEAT, Škoda and Volkswagen) share drivetrains all over their brands. It makes sense economically since so much money goes into drivetrain design, engineering, tooling and testing to simply tune what you have for the market segment vs having different mechanicals for each car. Check out all the cars and huge differences in HP for the EA888 variant of the 2.0 TSI you have in your Q3 and I have in my CC.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Volkswagen_Group_petrol_engines#2.0_R4_16v_TSI/TFSI_(EA888)

GM does the same thing but they don't stretch the HP levels so far across the various brands so there aren't the huge gains available with just a simple tune like on the VAG side. Plus in the case of the 3.6 there are the mechanical changes on the higher HP variants that prevent big gains from just a tune without the additional hardware upgrades as well.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Two other things to consider. 1st is the mileage. I wouldn't mind a little bit of extra power but I've got 170k miles on the E and have already had to replace the motor. The tranny/t-case/rear end also have 170k miles. How hard do I really want to push those? If my E had 20k or 30k miles, I might consider doing something to boost the power but at 170k..... 2nd is the rest of the components. Everything else, from the transmission to the transmission to the rear end to the brakes, etc are set up for a luxury touring barge. What if you had 400hp? Wouldn't you drive as if you had 400hp? 20 or 30 more hp is one thing but if you want a Corvette, buy a Corvette.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts