Thank you :thumb:
It works now.

MRBUICK
Much more better as my youngest used to say :D

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Remember, when I was born, there were no computers. We used a chisel and a stone tablet. :angel:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
MRBUICK said:
Remember, when I was born, there were no computers. We used a chisel and a stone tablet. :angel:
And you blame me for propagating the age rumor...

Hey remember back in college where we used to drag our women around by the hair to the fraternity cave...now that was a good time. Then the wheel was invented and everything went to he**.:thumb:

G

·
Here's a reference article talking about the LSJ article:

The Lansing State Journal reveals the reason Buick Enclave and Chevrolet Malibu sales are stuck in second gear: parts. According to Gary Cowger, GM's group vice president of global manufacturing and labor, "a lack of components" underpins this December's decision to shut down a third shift at Lansing Delta Township factory. "Even if that had kept running, we still wouldn't have been able to make more Enclaves." What's more… "As you know, we put that third shift on for a while to try to ramp up. But at the tooling rates of the supplier base, you'd have to buy another set of vendor tools (to make more parts) and that takes time. We're maxed out from a tooling standpoint." Cowger also implied that the Chevrolet Malibu drought is down to the same parts problem. "What we're doing right now with the Enclave and CTS and (Chevrolet) Malibu is doing a very detailed analysis of the bottlenecks in the supplier community so you can invest in the right tool sets out there and increase the capacity of that product at the plant." Cowger admits GM underestimated demand for all three cars, but said it's "a good thing." Try telling that to the 1000 GM workers who got laid off, or the GM dealers desperate for product to sell. Oh and don't think we've forgotten that back in October, when GM announced they were shutting down the third shift, they told the LSJ they "eliminated the third shift to keep from overproducing the crossover vehicles made there." I wonder why they didn't bring up the parts issue then?

Source: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/news-blog/buick-enclave-chevrolet-malibu-supply-mystery-solved

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Thanks for the link. I love articles like this. When you are involved in product development you understand exactly what they are talking about.

I remember when GM shut down the third shift everyone was complaining about how stupid GM was to constrain supply, what are they thinking, no wonder they're in trouble, why don't they shift the mix of vehicles made to make more Enclaves, etc. I wanted to say that there probably was a good reason and we didn't know what was going on internal to GM, but since I didn't know for sure I bit my tongue.

I feel GM is somewhat vindicated here. Now it is unfortunate that they underestimated demand but you simply do not turn the supply spigot on and off to meet demand. It takes time. Sometimes you still don't want to invest in the addtitional tooling if it is only going to be for a short term need. Then you end up with expensive tooling sitting around under utilized.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bsox said:
And you blame me for propagating the age rumor...

Hey remember back in college where we used to drag our women around by the hair to the fraternity cave...now that was a good time. Then the wheel was invented and everything went to he**.:thumb:
At least you understand :hijacked:

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now, back to our normally scheduled programming...............
Sorry for the detour. :angel:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts