EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Several years ago I bought a 2009 Enclave CXL with the 19" chrome over aluminum wheels out of Florida. About 3 years ago I kept getting low-pressure warnings about my tires. I found myself filling tires 2 and 3 times a week. I now fill two of my tires daily. I've taken it to the dealer and my own mechanic and after being told to do several expensive fixes having to do with the valves and wheel re-beading, I have learned that this is a pitting problem because aluminum wheels should not be chromed.

I started checking with other Enclave owners with these 19" wheels and they are having the same problem. I have found very literally hundreds of Enclave owners experiencing this same frustration. There are probably thousands of victims as I have only checked a small sphere of owners.

Do any of you owners know if there has been any discussion about a recall or demanding a recall for these faulty wheels? I am interested in taking a Class-Action approach to resolving this with GM if we have enough owners (2,000 or more) who are fighting this same battle. These wheels can be upwards around $2,000.00 to replace per wheel. We have purchased these cars, paid for high-end, 19" wheels already. It should not be our responsibility to pay for them again because of an engineering incompetence.

I love the car but I can't stand this wheel issue. It makes me want to get rid of this car that is perfect for our family. Let me know if you have any information about this issue or any desire to see a Class-Action approach to resolution with GM.

Steve

·
Registered
956 Posts
I had a 2008 with 19” rims and one of the rims also developed a leak and my tire store also said that the crome was either pealing or pitted. They were able to slow the leak down to a slow acceptible amount by applying a black sealer to the spot. Their permanant suggestion was to either replace the rim or have it re-chromed.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I have a good friend that runs a tire shop and he sees this all the time. The problem is too many shops use soap and water as their lube for installing tires and that water has no where to go once it's inside the rim and really speeds up the corrosion process. He uses a special goop made specifically for tire mounting. I haven't had tires mounted anywhere else since I had him fix a set of rims with a slow leak by going all around the bead with a wire wheel and cleaning up the bead mating surface on the rim.

And good luck on trying to claim it's GM's fault. They're just going to throw it back on the installers for using water and soap.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
JayS
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing