EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Consumer Reports tested 3-Row Crossover SUVs in the January 2008 magazine issue: (1) Toyta Highlander; (2) Buick Enclave; (3) Ford Taurus X; and (4) Subaru Tribeca. They were ranked in that order with the Highlander coming in first.

Comments on the Enclave: Highs - Ride, handling, interior room and flexibility, easy access to usable third seat, interior quietness, fit and finish. Lows: fuel economy, rear visibility, intrusive head restraints and some controls. Consumer Reports ranks the Saturn Outlook and GMC Acadia over the Enclave but the Mazda CX-9 under it. Consumer Reports indicated that "we had the transmission reprogrammed with a dealer available update, which made it downshift somewhat more reponsively, but we still found it to be relctant." They also found the six speed transmission "frequently upshifted too quickly, lugging the engine."

Midsized 3-row SUVs are ranked by Consumers Reports as follows (first ten):
1. Toyota Highlander Limited
2. Acura MDX
3. Honda Pilot EX-L
4. Saturn Outlook XR/ GMC Acadia SLT
5. Hyundai Veracrus SE
6. Buick Enclave
7. Ford Taurus X
8. Volvo XC90 (V8)
9. Chrysler Pacifica Touring
10.Mazada CX-9 Touring

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
You mean Communist Report....I mean Consumer Report picked a Jap car over an American auto with only minor, greatly subjective concerns????
I can't believe it! ;)

Wanna buy a bridge in Brooklyn? ;D

·
Registered
154 Posts
HOW IN THE HECK ANYONE CAN COMPARE THE ENCLAVE in the same size class as most of these cars??? WTH? Shouldn't it be in the "Large" catetory?

On a side note, I was behind a Taurus X yesterday -- that must win the ugliest car of the year award -- just horrible.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I'M SORRY, BUT THEY MUST ME DRIVING A DIFFERENT PILOT THAT I OWNED....There is no effing comparison between these two with the Enclave so much nicer including IN MPG than my rattle-trap Pilot. Now I know I don't believe anything they say....

·
Registered
612 Posts
In their ratings they rate all 4 as "better than average" for cabin noise, but not outstanding. In the Enclave video (click on the link below to see the 4 videos) the driver mentions how quiet the Enclave is. Hmm..

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...08/videos-three-row-suvs/small-suvs-video.htm

The Ford Taurus X looks like dung on wheels. It looks like a 1990 Taurus station wagon. Its worth watching the video just to see the gauges. Gauge Sweep on the Enclave vs "Gauge Shriek" on the Taurus X.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thanks Clave Man for the videos! I never did get to look at the new Highlander because the availability was limited. If I could not get an in stock Enclave, I was going to take a look. NO Comparison, I did not miss much!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Wow, thanks for the videos, I can't believe Consumer Reports puts them out there to demonstrate just how biased there written ratings are. The reviewer was loving being in the "luxury car" drive & styling of the Enclave and he had good to say about the Toyata is that is was sufficiently blah (with really big buttons :eek:) to meet any family's need.

That middle row seet thing looked like a pretty neat trick, but I'ld like to here some real world feedback on its usefulness.

One thing I agree with is I would like to get a back-up camera with out paying the extra $2K, I love my Garmin, so I will likely look into 3rd party options.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
First, let me start by saying that dung on wheels is my favorite quote of the day. :thumb:

Next, I can't believe the reviewer's response to the removable middle seat. Is that a joke? He actually likes the idea?

I wonder why he didn't sit there.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Now I know I made the right decision to NOT renew my subscription to Consumer Reports. After seeing the list and rankings, It is obvious where their head is........ :moon:

With that........a toast to the best looking vehicle on the road............ :cheers:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I did not watch the videos, but did anyone see any smokey haze in any of the vehicles when they were driving, or a bag of cheetos or twinkies on the seat? Anyone that could rate my old Pilot above this Enclave has to be putting something illegal into their system at the time :cheers:

·
Registered
612 Posts
Taurus X

Attached are three images

• The Gauge in the new Taurus X "crossover".
  • A Taurus station wagon from over ten years ago
  • A 2008 Taurus X

IMHO the mid nineties station wagon looks more like a 2008 crossover than the new one.

If they come out with a Eddie Bauer Edition Ford Taurus SHO - X I would have to cancel my Enclave CXL order!
(uh.. NOT)

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
i couldn't belive that they wouldn't recommend the enclave, since it is too new! they already admitted that it was a sibling of the arcadia/outlooks ....i recently saw a new highlander....it was the same price as the enclave i ordered...yet it was shorter & more narrow!!

·
Registered
376 Posts
Consumer Reports has a hard time accepting the fact the GM is now producing some excellent cars and SUVs. They've been biased on Toyotas/Hondas for a long time, and if it were up to them that's what everyone should be buying. So it's no surprise they would rate the Highlander better. But I think GM has come a long way and the Acadia/Outlook/Enclave are proof of that. When I first read their report on the Outlook a few months back, they seemed very positive but still had to mention the Pilot, Highlander, and RX350 were higher. That's just plain ridiculous.

Somehow when I look at Toyotas and Hondas, I find that they are built cheaper if I look underneath and in the engine compartment. The body panels seem thinner; the suspension seems cheaper; the chassis metal seems flimsy; the paint seems like it is only one coat; the body seems to rust fast if the paint is chipped off; the glass is thinner; etc. When I do a search on the web, I find Honda Pilots/Accords/Acura MDXs, etc., with major automatic transmission problems requiring a replacement (that doesn't last either). I also find Toyotas that have had sludge problems, broken camshafts and tailgates that bend easily on Tundras, etc. Somehow, though, you never see Consumer Reports mentioning these problems. If it were GM or Ford, you better believe they would mention it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I quit paying attention to Consumer Reports years ago. I did a jig when they had to rescind their "automatic recommend" for Toyota on new models. What a crock - *No* new car from any manufacturer should be an automatic recommend. And how do you possibly rate the Enclave BEHIND the Acadia and Outlook? Same vehicle, only quieter and more comfortable. Whatever. They *always* find something - "intrusive head restraints"? Gimme a break.

Bottom line - if it's not a Japanese car, CR hates it.

·
Registered
225 Posts
New2Buick said:
One thing I agree with is I would like to get a back-up camera with out paying the extra $2K, I love my Garmin, so I will likely look into 3rd party options.
You and me both. GM effectively padded the price of the camera by forcing us to buy some combo of Bose/DVD/Nav to get it. They knew darn well that if they unbundled the cam, too many people like us would buy it and stop right there. I bet they let Chevy buyers buy just the cam next year

This is one of the reasons CR rated Enclave below its siblings: "rear window is small. We recommend getting the backup camera". I agree. The Enclave sacrificed visibility for style in this case, and GM's greed makes it very costly to apply the obvious remedy.

·
Registered
225 Posts
chile said:
i couldn't believe that they wouldn't recommend the enclave, since it is too new! they already admitted that it was a sibling of the arcadia/outlooks ....
They didn't recommend the Highlander either, because of lack of repair history, and they do make exactly your point.

All four of these three-row SUVs scored very good or excellent in our testing. But because we recommend only models with sufficient data to predict average or better reliability, only the Taurus X and Tribeca are recommended from this group. Like the Highlander, we have no reliability data yet on the new Enclave. However, the similar GMC Acadia and Saturn Outlook have had average reliability in their first year.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Looks like CR tested an 8-passenger AWD CXL with sunroof, confidence, towing & luxury packages.

The luxury package was the source of two complaints about the Enclave. CR found that the power-adjustable steering column didn't have enough range of travel, and that the HID lights preclude daytime flash-to-pass, which is "a serious omission in our opinion". And the transmission, while acceptable, tried too hard to be thrifty. Sound familiar? Many members here have raised the same issues.

In spite of these nits, the three Lambdas tied the numeric score of the Taurus and Veracruz. All were classified "very good", along with MDX, Pilot, XC90 and CX-9. Among all mid-sized 3-row SUVs, only the new 2008 Highlander was "excellent" (and just barely).

It was actually a very positive review, consistent with the video (don't spend $50K before driving this!). If you don't believe me and want to see real bias, take a tranquilizer and check this out: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/reviews/buick-enclave-review/. They clearly despise GM/Buick, and the Enclave presents a real problem for them.

·
Registered
376 Posts
One thing CR never mentions is the past transmission problems of the Honda Pilot/Acura MDX. This is a cause for concern of purchasing a Honda product. Also, did CR ever look at suspension, chassis, body panels, paint thickness, etc. to really make the consumer aware of what he/she is getting for the money? I mean they really scrutinize the interiors of the American cars - GM in particular - so why not also scrutinize the chassis, engine, transmission, glass, etc.?

I've looked under Toyotas/Hondas only to find out how cheaply they are made underneath, something the average consumer may not even notice unless he really looks. Toyota/Honda cuts costs too, but it's not in the interiors necessarily but in what the consumer doesn't see - thinner sheetmetal, thinner glass, cheaper suspension designs, thinner-walled engines, etc. I've seen some Hondas in car crashes that have literally broken in two - no kidding.

·
Registered
758 Posts
PrairieWind said:
It was actually a very positive review, consistent with the video (don't spend $50K before driving this!). If you don't believe me and want to see real bias, take a tranquilizer and check this out: http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/reviews/buick-enclave-review/. They clearly despise GM/Buick, and the Enclave presents a real problem for them.
Yes, I have found the "truth" review site quite biased and inflammatory also. I won't even bother reading a review there - waste of time.

CR depends on their readership for information, and it exaggerates reliability data to sell copy. They make their reviews "relative" each year and its difficult to tell whether ANY of the cars that aren't reliable by their criteria actually are, since they are so stringent. I believe their own readership is probably enamored with Honda's and Toyota's - people who buy nothing else. Unlike many car enthusiasts that have moved way beyond CR ratings, if they were ever there to begin with.

TM

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I LOVE Consumer Report magazine!! My neighbor throws them out and I take them! (sometimes he even reads them a little!) It starts my fireplace logs beautifully!! ;D

Wonder if they report on that!? ;)

1 - 20 of 33 Posts