EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Zman (geez, your handle makes me think of the "Big Z" Carlos Zambrano -- the 1st 14 game winner in baseball, for the hottest team since June, the Cubs! ;D)

I think the ones already mentioned would be great: rain sensing wipers (love this on my A4), bluetooth (I use/have ATT (Cingular)), heated AND cooled seats for both front and 2nd row captains, keyless ignition (just have the keyfob in your pocket or purse), insulated/padded sunroof cover(s) instead of the mesh screen (one reason we didn't order the sunroofs -- took a ride on a hot sunny day and it seemed like that would make the interior seriously hotter than no sunroof), LED taillights and LED running lights (the newest Audi (A5) has this).

I'd also like to see an ability to unlock some of the Nav/Radio features without having to resort to an add-on that will cost me a few hundred, plus pulling apart some of the dash (the GM Lockpick device that allows you to enter destination while driving, access POI's while driving, etc).

The lack of all of these things (obviously) didn't keep me from buying the Enclave -- probably the biggest/most important thing missing? Direct Injection Engine. I have this in my A4, it is terrific. I can drive 75-80mph and get 32 mpg in an AWD vehicle with automatic! I suspect we'll see a DI engine for next year.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Note that the A4 and Enclave are in totally different weight classes, not to mention a fair difference in cd. :)

Until you have sat in the war room with a group of engineers, marketing guys, bean counters, and management you can't know what factors really led to the decisions made. Perhaps the smart slide mechanism causes the seat back to be too weak to support the torque generated from the weight of a typical human head positioned 6" further from the pivot point of the seat back and base. Who knows? There could be dozens of such scenarios, from engineering to marketing to financial issues, and we will likely never know what really led to the current implementation.

I do agree that it seems likely it will be "fixed" in an new year model. Whether that means shaving cost, beefing up the seat frame, or working out some niggling ergonomics they just didn't have time for this go around I don't know. But it does seem a tractable enough problem that they will fix it. It isn't really like the transmission "issues" where people are expecting the impossible... economy of a 4cyl or 6cyl minivan with the power and size of a full blown V8 SUV, on regular fuel no less. Go figure that one.

I'll tell you what though... you figure out the 2nd row headrests and let me know. I'll take a look when ours arrives, and if I see a relatively straightforward solution I'll let you know. :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
osli said:
Until you have sat in the war room with a group of engineers, marketing guys, bean counters, and management you can't know what factors really led to the decisions made. Perhaps the smart slide mechanism causes the seat back to be too weak to support the torque generated from the weight of a typical human head positioned 6" further from the pivot point of the seat back and base. Who knows? There could be dozens of such scenarios, from engineering to marketing to financial issues, and we will likely never know what really led to the current implementation.

I do agree that it seems likely it will be "fixed" in an new year model. Whether that means shaving cost, beefing up the seat frame, or working out some niggling ergonomics they just didn't have time for this go around I don't know. But it does seem a tractable enough problem that they will fix it. It isn't really like the transmission "issues" where people are expecting the impossible... economy of a 4cyl or 6cyl minivan with the power and size of a full blown V8 SUV, on regular fuel no less. Go figure that one.

I'll tell you what though... you figure out the 2nd row headrests and let me know. I'll take a look when ours arrives, and if I see a relatively straightforward solution I'll let you know. :)
Osli,
Spoken like a true product development guy! Couldn't agree more -- having sat in on many of these types of meetings for many different products both consumer and commercial, I am sure you are correct about the fixed headrests.

I wonder if it will be as simple as having the same notch as the 1st row seats, which are adjustable, along with the spring mechanism collar? I doubt I'll receive my Enclave before you since mine was just put into the VOMS system this week (ordered at the dealer last week) -- but I'll continue to check this forum for any news of what we can collectively do to "fix" this issue.

Great post BTW! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
21 - 24 of 24 Posts