EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our friends recently purchased a 2008 CTS with the 3.6 engine & they recommend using synthetic "oil". The Enclave 3.6 engine recommends regular oil. Can somebody in the know explain why the difference? I assume the 3.6 engines are the same? I know a lot of people on this forum prefer syn. & I'm sure its better but thats not the question. Anybody know? I did a search on this board & didn't find that this had been discussed.

·
Registered
509 Posts
The engines are, technically, the same (considering the base CTS 3.6L, that is, not the DI version), it's just that Cadillac chooses to have theirs filled with synthetic from the factory and say to maintain it that way. Mainly because of the known benefits, including small bits in efficiency and performance, of a quality synthetic. Otherwise, no engine difference necessitating it, really.

It's not listed on the Lambda's because they're for a different market, and assume buyers may balk at "use Synthetic" printed on the manual and engine.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Since it is used in the Caddy, is it OK to change to synthetic on the first change for the Enclave?

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
rwagoner, I have switched every vehicle and motorcycle to synthetic. it will do no harm, only good. I change oil at 10,000 mile intervals with no issues.

·
Registered
181 Posts
The Service Adviser at the Buick Dealer I go to recommended "NOT" changing to Synthetic until I have 15,000 miles on my Enclave.
Something to do with a coating on the Pistons/Cylinder walls that needs to wear in good first.
When I had my 1993 Firebird GT they advised me to wait until 5,000 Miles, had it ten years 75,000 miles. Never used any oil to notice.
I want to go to Synthetic but will wait until 15,00 Miles to be sure as I intend to keep this car for several years. I have 8,700 on mine now. Have had it since June 1st.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Top Dog said:
The Service Adviser at the Buick Dealer I go to recommended "NOT" changing to Synthetic until I have 15,000 miles on my Enclave.
Something to do with a coating on the Pistons/Cylinder walls that needs to wear in good first.
When I had my 1993 Firebird GT they advised me to wait until 5,000 Miles, had it ten years 75,000 miles. Never used any oil to notice.
I want to go to Synthetic but will wait until 15,00 Miles to be sure as I intend to keep this car for several years. I have 8,700 on mine now. Have had it since June 1st.
If this is the case why would the caddie come with synthetic oil from the get go with the same engine?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts