EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is a review, but more of a comparison between the two vechicles.

2008 Lexus RX-350 with Premium Package (List $56,500 CDN) [Bought May] and 2008 Buick Enclave CX AWD with Leather, Sunroof, Machined Wheels, Convience Package, and DVD (List $52,035 CDN) [Bought November - already at 6000km after Christmas driving]. The differences in the equipment are:
+ Wheels: Lexus has 17", Buick has 18" (Lexus can go to the 18" for $900)
= Engine: Engine is pretty much the same, although the Lexus is much smaller/lighter, so it's better suited.
- Seat Memory, Automatic Tilt: The Lexus includes this, the Buick I choose does not, with the CXL it is included (The CXL was about $3000 more for Seat Memory, 19" wheels and a 110 outlet).
= Size: The Lexus is about 18" shorter and 6" thinner. If you want something easier to manuve/drives like a car, the lexus is better. If you want something that will haul 4 adults in comfort (or enough luggage for a week-long trip), the Buick is the winner.
+ 3rd row seat: The Lexus has 2 rows. The 3rd row may not be for adults (on long trips) but the car seats fit nicely there.
+ Cargo Size: The Buick has much more room when the 3rd row is down.
- Luxury: The Lexus just has a more luxurious feel. The leather is a little softer and the trim is a little nicer. I don't really view this a much of a negative against the Buick as the Lexus is near the top against any vechicle.
+ DVD Player: The Lexus DVD Player was $2100 and we didn't add it. This makes the prices look closer than they actually are.
- 6 CD Changer: Upgrading the Buick to the DVD only allows 1 CD. The Lexus has 6.
+ ipod Link: The direct connection for my ipod make the single CD no problem. I don't know if the radio transmitter or the direct connect is better, but at least I have the option...Waiting for PAL.
? Milage: I'm only getting about 13.5 L/100 km (17.5 MPG) on mostly highway driving. I think the Lexus is slightly better but I'm not 100% sure on that one.
= Dealership: I dealt with two great dealerships. The difference being at the Lexus delear, I got free Coffee/Expresso/Capachino and at the Buick dealer I had to pay a quarter for a coffee. Maybe that's why the regular service costs more with the Lexus (The massage chair).

Overall, I'm a car guy (from a Regal), so I find the Lexus easier to drive. It's more comforable and doesn't have the painful shifting when you are getting going. If you are more of a truck fan, the Buick give you a great ride and it's a bit higher up. Having said that, the Buick is easier to get used to (once you get over the change in size for parking).

Where the Buick wins hands down is the extra room. If you need the 3rd row, or regularly haul more that 2 adults, then it's a winner.

My final statement is that it is nice to see a car from Buick that can stack up against a luxury vechicle such as a Lexus. I am more than happy with my purchase so far (The Buick is mine :) )

·
Registered
164 Posts
Good comments. I want to add my 2 cents worth as I was dealing on the RX 350 as well. My 2year lease on a $54,500. CXL enclave with zero down and 30,000 kilometers per year including a wear package is $749. per month. On a $55,000. RX 350, same scenario only no wear package the 2 year lease was $1127. per month. I was leaning to the Lexus till they hit me with those numbers. I leased the Enclave. It is interesting how North American cars depreciate faster than most imports, yet lease prices are considerably more than off shore autos.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
womps said:
My 2year lease on a $54,500. CXL enclave with zero down and 30,000 kilometers per year including a wear package is $749. per month. On a $55,000. RX 350, same scenario only no wear package the 2 year lease was $1127. per month.
Wow, I would never had guessed that scenario. I just assumed there would be a greater depreciation on the Buick, thus a higher lease price.

·
Registered
379 Posts
The RX-350 is probably a little peppier than my 330 was. The 330 was somewhat sluggish, it was an AWD too.

We went on vacation with my aunt using the RX and if you need to haul much of anything, the Lexus loses. We had her wheelchair and had to use the other side of the back seat for the rest of the things needed for a week long vacation.

After that trip, we started looking at bigger vehicles (including the Lexus GX) but for the money, the Buick won hands down. It actually rides better than the RX, IMHO. Admittedly, ANY vehicle would be hard pressed to top the interior of ANY Lexus.

Just my $0.02 worth.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Good comparo! I would just add that the Enclave takes the on-ramp with almost no lean!! (I have 19" wheels). The Lexus leaned pretty hard on the go-around ramps, but rode nice.

Handling advantage: Enclave!

·
Registered
484 Posts
Here is what the Buick Dealer's Detail book has to say:

"PERFORMANCE, RIDE & HANDLING VS. LEXUS RX 350

No compromise platform. The RX 350 shares a platform with the Toyota Highlander. The Enclave's BFI platform was designed new from the ground up.

Wider Track. Enclave has a 5" wider front and 6" wider rear track for more stable handling.

More Horsepower. Enclave provides 5 hp more than RX 350.

6-speed transmission. The RX 350 provides only a 5-speed automatic.

Better highway mileage. Enclave is projected to have better highway fuel economy than the 2008 RX 350.

Longer Wheelbase. Enclave's wheelbase is a full foot longer than the RX 350's. A longer wheelbase contributes to a smoother ride.

Greater cruising range. Enclave's 22-gallon fuel tank and greater highway fuel economy add up to a greater cruising range than the RX 350 and its 19.2 gallon tank.

Larger wheels and tires. The RX 350 has 17" wheels standard and 18" optional. In contrast, 18" wheels are standard with Enclave's CX trim, 19" standard with CXL.

Bottom Line:
Stricktly a 5-passenger SUV, the Lexus RX 350 provides much less capability than Enclave. Enclave can accommodate more people, more cargo and provides more interior versatility, so it offers customers much more flexibility. Enclave is also a more luxurious vehicle than the Lexus-its stunning styling simply looks more elegant than the RX 350. Despite its substantially higher prices, the RX 350 does not offer such expected luxuries as Tri-zone climate control and available remote start. And don't be reluctant to talk about quality. Buick quality gets high marks from J.D. Power and other third-party rating services. In addition, Enclave's world-class fit and finish-inside and out-meets or exceeds what cross-shoppers will find on the RX 350."

I also notice on the pages showing comparisons between Enclave and 4 other SUVs that towing capacity is 4500 lbs vs. Lexus 3500 lbs.

Also, both Enclave and Lexus have Electronic Stability Control, with Enclave having roll avoidance. Lexus does not.

As also owning a 2006 Lexus GS 430, both my husband and I agree that the Enclave has it all over our Lexus, which has had some electronic problems. I don't enjoy driving it, the ride is bumpy (the Chrysler Town and Country had a better ride) and DON'T LET ME GET STARTED ON THE DEALERSHIP OR CUSTOMER SERVICE!

Lexus has never called to see if we are enjoying the car or if we have any concerns. Buick has called twice during our 2 month ownership. The Lexus dealer has steam coming out of my husband's ears. He notices steam coming from other customers when he has to take the car in. The closest dealership is 14 miles from our home. He is currently looking to get rid of the Lexus and go back to Cadillac where the service was superb. That really counts with him. I can't speak to Buick dealer service yet, because I don't have a reason to need it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
All seem to be valid points, personally I prefer my New Enclave over the Lexus RX we traded in for it. The service at Lexus was very superb and every time we took it in for service even the minor oil change and tire rotations they called and sent a letter to see if everything was ok. Once they even kept the vehicle a day longer than promised and they gave us a $50 gas card for the inconvenience. I believe the weight of the Enclave and the larger wheel base and size give the Enclave a more superior overall ride.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts