EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago, the Enclave started having a problem cranking up and running after putting gas, any amount of gas, in the tank. After putting gas in the tank, the engine does not start as it normally does, but rather seems to have a clicking sound coming from under the hood while trying to run. The battery is fine and the motor is being cranked over just fine. After cranking the engine about four times, it will run just fine. This ONLY happens after pumping gas into the tank. Once filled with gas, the car starts and runs perfectly until the next time I get gas again. Has anybody ever heard of anything like this? Any ideas what could be causing this? The dealer service writer said something about the charcoal filter in the fuel system. Thanks.

·
Registered
657 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
21,166 Posts
I'm pretty sure that cfedor replaced his purge valve solenoid. You might want to shoot him a PM.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
auto parts will have them.
Just depends on how long you can wait before you refuel again----
Do price comparison on parts stores, ebay, amazon.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rbarrios said:
auto parts will have them.
Just depends on how long you can wait before you refuel again----
Do price comparison on parts stores, ebay, amazon.
Thanks, I ordered one on Amazon last night, to be here Wednesday.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Replaced the surge valve solenoid, and just got gas today and it started perfectly! Thanks to all.

OTOH, the transmission started slipping just this afternoon. :eek:hno: I wouldn't think the surge valve solenoid would have anything to do with it, though.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
mtrot said:
Replaced the Purge valve solenoid, and just got gas today and it started perfectly! Thanks to all.

OTOH, the transmission started slipping just this afternoon. :eek:hno: I wouldn't think the Purge valve solenoid would have anything to do with it, though.
Purge Valve Solenoid works in conjunction with the tank top mounted Vapor Canister and limits the amount of fuel vapors discharged into the environment. While the Purge Valve Solenoid is in a normally closed position, it opens to vent fuel vapor into the intake. When it fails, when the Purge Valve Solenoid is removed, you can blow thru it like a straw when it is BAD. Only when it is energized, should it open.

Sad news on your transmission. See my comments in that thread and the lengthy TSB included. Hope it helps you sort things out.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Give the transmission a couple of days. These are strange beasts. ???

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Replaced the surge valve solenoid, and just got gas today and it started perfectly! Thanks to all.

OTOH, the transmission started slipping just this afternoon. :eek:hno: I wouldn't think the surge valve solenoid would have anything to do with it, though.

UPDATE: Well, my Enclave recently started exhibiting the same behavior of being hard to start after filling the tank. Sure enough, it has a code for the surge valve canister again, which means the one I installed in May 2016 lasted about 2.5 years. Of course, the warranty on that part is 2 years. But it's a $30 part, and I just got a new one and installed it. Hopefully, this one will last more than 2.5 years, or I won't have the car that long.

·
Registered
6,786 Posts
overfilling/topping off?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
overfilling/topping off?

No, not this time. The last time I had to replace this part, I read that overfilling could have been the cause of failure, so after I replaced it, I have not once topped off the tank. I always stop filling when the pump automatically shuts off. So, the part failed anyway after 2.5 years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would engine light check register the solenoid as evap leak? Asking because I've been having this same trouble and my engine light JUST came on and its reading evap leak. Dealership recommended it to be the gas cap not right but i confirmed that's not the issue. Thank you!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts