EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would love to get some counsel on this.

I own an 09 Enclave. 16 months ago I had to replace a fuel injector and the spark plugs. Three months ago -- I replaced two fuel injectors [one the same one as the one of a year earlier] and a coil pack. The car has about 90K miles on it.

Yesterday I was driving and the check engine light came on. It was not flashing but solid. I noticed a slight hesitation when the light came on -- but otherwise the car ran well as nearly as I could tell afterwards.

I got back home [driving about 30 miles with the engine light on] and no other issue.

I am taking the car in tomorrow morning to check it out. The engine light is now off and drove fine in the limited time I drove it this weekend. The OnStar system showed the codes as P0089, P0300, P0301.

Would you have any recommendations on what to do next? I know my repair place will check it out. But they will also notice that the check engine light is no longer on too.

I used Techron in the tank just prior to my last recent oil change. I use a high level gas [from Shell] on many, but not all, fill-ups.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Hard to know just from the codes. First troubleshooting step will be hooking up a fuel pressure gauge and seeing how the fuel pressure looks. Could be an issue with the pump, the fuel pressure regulator or even an injector sticking open.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, JayS -- the repair place is seeing a history of misfires on #1 right now and their first place they want to start is replacing the coil pack as the cheapest possible option.

I drove it a little bit over the weekend and had no problems and no check engine light on. But obviously the misfires history [which I didn't notice and no light came on until Saturday] needs to be resolved.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
Some years ago I got that P0089 code.... It was 122,xxx.

Im now at 151,xxx and It has not happened again.
I only used HEET, in case it was water in fuel. And Techron in case it was carbon.

"on the highway- my CEL flashed for about 3 seconds.. maybe 6 flashes... (not solidly lit). Not even enough time to make a lane change.
I felt a bit of a stumble.

It did not set the CEL.

So far so good at 3500 miles into the trip----then flashing cel... then continued for another 200 miles to complete a 3700 mile trip.

When scanned- it showed P0089 and P0305 pending codes

52 misfires were shown on cyl 5.

1 day later and P0089 is gone.
no more misfires either.

Ill keep my eye on it.
But could be carbon buildup--- as I now have 122,xxx.
or- an issue with the injector on #5. (based on another thread on here from a member who got P0089 and P0305 and some other codes--were an injector change corrected the problem).
MPGs on the trip were excellent- and just that 3 sec blip...."

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you rbarrios.

I have seen quite a lot of issues with coil packs and I suspect that every single one of the coil packs will be eventually replaced on this 09. As nearly as I understand the most expensive awful repair that could stem from the P0089 code would be replacing the fuel pump [but I'm not a mechanic and can only go by what others say, which of course might be wrong!]. That's why my repair shop wanted to replace the coil pack first, in the hopes that that would resolve everything. I've driven it today after that repair and no light on. We'll see.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got a related question -- my mechanic replaced the coil pack for #1 and since then I have driven the vehicle with no CEL on or anything else I've noticed [but keep in mind I'm not that good at noticing things until it's too late and a CEL comes on].

He mentioned that replacing the coil pack for #1 did not require taking off the . . . what is it . . . the intake manifold?

I had a horrible thought -- what if he replaced the coil pack for the wrong injector number. Does anybody know if replacing coil pack for #1 requires the complexity that people have mentioned in the past regarding injector issues?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Final update on this issue for now -- I took the Enclave to the mechanic this morning and he ran diagnostics on it to see if the past four days of driving [around 75 miles] had created any new codes. There were none current or in the history from the past four days -- the car is driving well with the new coil pack for #1. I'm keeping my hopes moderate -- the 75 miles were not highway miles so we'll see.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I do believe that it’s the #3 cylinder/coil that requires removal of the upper intake manifold.

I had a 2009 that had a misfire on that coil. Dealer wanted 700+ to change the one coil and replace spark plugs. I was like WTF? They wanted 150 for the coil and 15 per plug and then labor. I was able to buy 6 coils for 200 and 6 plugs for 35 from eBay. Did the work myself and saved tons of cash. This forum was a big help with that fix.

·
Registered
419 Posts
That changing just the coil fixed it really makes me wonder how the OBD system flagged the fuel pressure regulator (code p0089). Glad it worked out and wasn't a major issue though. Also, you had a pending code for a different cylinder (p0305) but it doesn't sound like the mechanic touched that coil.

·
Registered
6,491 Posts
That changing just the coil fixed it really makes me wonder how the OBD system flagged the fuel pressure regulator (code p0089). Glad it worked out and wasn't a major issue though. Also, you had a pending code for a different cylinder (p0305) but it doesn't sound like the mechanic touched that coil.

I thought the same when I got my P0089. But then just went away.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts