EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced an immediate metallic sound from the engine on cold engine start up. It sounds like a loose timing chain or piston slap noise. It lasts for seconds only. Have not heard it until we got the cold temperature snap here in Pennsylvania with over night temps close to freezing. So could be 40 in my garage. There was a thread about the oil filter needing a anti-drain back valve, which mine has. So that is not the problem. It does not sound like a starter issue. It's immediate on engine start up and lasts around 3 seconds, and then goes right away. I can't imagine piston slap would only last 3 seconds. It really seems to be an oil pressure issue. Perhaps there is a hydraulic time chain tensioner that is the problem. I did an oil change for the first time since owning the car and used Mobil One, as recommended. Perhaps for winter I should go back to petroleum based oil. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I thought about disabling the ignition and cranking the engine to build up oil pressure and then re-enabling the ignition and see what I hear when the engine starts. Wish there was a link to add audio to these threads. I'm going to try to record the sound on start up. Cheers.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
like this?
his cause was--- "It turns out all 4 of the Cam actuator solenoids were broken and not locking up. Also had a timing chain tensioner stuck as well. "

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OMG,
How much was the repair bill? I still have my old reliable 2004 GMC Yukon that I just listed on Craigslist. Perhaps I should throw the Buick Enclave on Craigslist and wash my hands of this piece of crap before it nickle-dimes me to death..

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
is that what it sounds likes?
in those 2 videos- I believe they were under warranty...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Has anyone experienced an immediate metallic sound from the engine on cold engine start up. It sounds like a loose timing chain or piston slap noise. It lasts for seconds only. Have not heard it until we got the cold temperature snap here in Pennsylvania with over night temps close to freezing. So could be 40 in my garage. There was a thread about the oil filter needing a anti-drain back valve, which mine has. So that is not the problem. It does not sound like a starter issue. It's immediate on engine start up and lasts around 3 seconds, and then goes right away. I can't imagine piston slap would only last 3 seconds. It really seems to be an oil pressure issue. Perhaps there is a hydraulic time chain tensioner that is the problem. I did an oil change for the first time since owning the car and used Mobil One, as recommended. Perhaps for winter I should go back to petroleum based oil. Any insight would be greatly appreciated. I thought about disabling the ignition and cranking the engine to build up oil pressure and then re-enabling the ignition and see what I hear when the engine starts. Wish there was a link to add audio to these threads. I'm going to try to record the sound on start up. Cheers.
Yes, I had it especially when I enter my garage over rthe garage apron to get to the garage floor. I was thinking rod knock but it didn't happen all the time. Got a stethoscope and asked my song to have a listen as I madir it happen with quick snap acceleration. I did not open throttle very far, just enought to make it happen. It was in the throttle body gears and motor assembly. No parts available to rebuild/ repair it. So I bought a new Throttle Body unit from Rock Auto and problem gone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did the dealership cover it under warranty? How many miles on your car at the time. Mine has 67K miles on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No, I didn't take into a dealer. I diagnosed it to be the throttle body and there are no replaceable parts, so I had to buy a complete throttle body assembly. Man, I miss the old days ofdiagnosing and repairing the component before all this technology and these BS junk parts. Planned obsolence.... parts are made to wear out to keep people working. JUNK!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a similar problem on my 2010 Enclave. There is a problem with the oil pickup that requires a rebuild kit which is installed with the engine out. There is a tech bulletin on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts