EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've read the older posts regarding the change to the PF63 for 2011 model year Enclaves. My wife and I purchased a 2011 Enclave CXL this year (July 2014) still covered by CPO warranty and included oil changes and tire rotations. I noticed when we purchased the Enclave it had a PF-48 oil filter instead of the PF-63 as the manual specifies and is also specified on AC Delco's website as well as other parts suppliers, not the PF48. Since the oil changes are still being covered by GM I figured the next time it went in the dealer would install the PF63. Nope, it's been in for oil changes twice to the same dealer and they have not installed the service specified PF63 filter yet. I contacted the service department simply asking why the PF48 was installed instead of the PF63. This is the response from the service department:

"Customer complained that we were using the "wrong" oil filter on her vehicle when she brought it in for service. I assured her at check in that we used her vin number to look up the filter and it would be correct. I did call backs yesterday and she said the service was good, but her husband noted we used the wrong filter again. Long story short, we are using "shorter" oil filter due to techs burning their hands. Parts assured me that the filter is compatible, and that it does not effect the performance of the filtration of oil"

One would think they would use what is specified by the manufacturer, especially since they are a dealer.

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
THe PF-48 and PF-63 are essentially the same.
THe only difference is the PF-63 is longer.

Back when they made the switch... one reason cited was more media for longer oil change intervals. When many of the 2009-2010s had the Oil Life monitor going up to 10,000 miles between oil changes.

If youre doing 3000- 5000 mile oil change intervals- the PF-48 is perfectly fine.

In fact- even when the PF-63 became the filter to use as per the manual.... in the 2011,2012,2013, 2014's....

guess what filter comes on it from the Factory.... yup-- the PF-48.

I still use the PF-48 on my 2010 Traverse. No need for the PF-63.. as im doing 5,000 mile oil change intervals.
Used oil analysis shows that filter is working pretty darn good.

On my 2013 Equinox I use the PF-63 because I do up to 7,500 mile oil change intervals on that vehicle (and I can get the oil filters for $3.87)

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
I use the PF63 because it's the one that came with the car. If a PF48 came with it, I'd stick with it.

The extra media doesn't really make sense, because oil filters have shrunk over the years, not gotten larger.

The density of the media would have more impact imho than the exterior size. My Nissan filter is like 50% the size of what came on the car--Nissan shrank it. I have no qualms about putting the smaller filter on, whether it's Nissan OEM (I no longer use as they're made in China, that's just me, I have used a couple), or WIX....

·
Registered
795 Posts
rbarrios said:
In fact- even when the PF-63 became the filter to use as per the manual.... in the 2012,2013, 2014's....
Actually my owners manual for my 2011 states to use the PF63 filter.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
gostate said:
Actually my owners manual for my 2011 states to use the PF63 filter.
As does mine. When the dealer put dino juice instead of Mobil 1 and charged me for the Mobil 1, they also used the PF63. I marked the old filters (let them do that 3X).

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
I have corrected the ommited 2011's

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fully understand the PF63 is longer than the PF48 and I am not questioning the filtration efficiency and yes I am aware they came with the PF48 from the factory. Yes, we also run 5000 mile intervals since the vehicle is still under warranty and the oil changes are covered. I would expect the dealer to use the filter that was specified for service, thats all. I will be running the PF63 once I start changing it myself, nothing wrong with a little added oil capacity or filter media.
This wasn't meant to start a big thread about what filter you use or why you use it, just that if you expect the dealer to install the correct part that GM specifies and even if you tell them to they may not do it.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
I do think that it is odd for the dealer to not use the oil filter specified in the owner's manual regardless of the acceptability of using the older filter design instead.

·
Registered
180 Posts
56napco said:
I fully understand the PF63 is longer than the PF48 and I am not questioning the filtration efficiency and yes I am aware they came with the PF48 from the factory. Yes, we also run 5000 mile intervals since the vehicle is still under warranty and the oil changes are covered. I would expect the dealer to use the filter that was specified for service, thats all. I will be running the PF63 once I start changing it myself, nothing wrong with a little added oil capacity or filter media.
This wasn't meant to start a big thread about what filter you use or why you use it, just that if you expect the dealer to install the correct part that GM specifies and even if you tell them to they may not do it.
Oil changes are covered?
Well that should tell you something. If the PF 48 costs less which one do you think the dealer is going to use?
Especially if they threw in oil changes with the purchase of the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
ICU said:
Oil changes are covered?
Well that should tell you something. If the PF 48 costs less which one do you think the dealer is going to use?
Especially if they threw in oil changes with the purchase of the vehicle.
. Did the op even have a question? ???

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes, oil changes were included as part of the CPO'd program. I kind of figured they would use the cheapest filter however I would also expect them to use the filter they specified for service, pretty simple to understand. As an engineer at a worldwide heavy equipment OEM, we expect our dealers to use the specified parts and filters when they service our customer's machines.

·
Registered
180 Posts
56napco said:
Yes, oil changes were included as part of the CPO'd program. I kind of figured they would use the cheapest filter however I would also expect them to use the filter they specified for service, pretty simple to understand. As an engineer at a worldwide heavy equipment OEM, we expect our dealers to use the specified parts and filters when they service our customer's machines.
You must not work for GM. ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
56napco said:
I make sure my dealer installs the PF63 by taking my own filter and oil, Pennzoil platinum. I am due for an oil change on the 2011 Enclave and I rarely, if ever, put more than 3000 - 4000 miles between changes.

When I had the first oil change at 1500 miles they installed the PF48, because, they didn't know that GM had changed to PF63 starting with the 2011 model year.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Sailfish said:
When I had the first oil change at 1500 miles they installed the PF48, because, they didn't know that GM had changed to PF63 starting with the 2011 model year.
What would be odd is the tech removed a PF63, so whether he or she knew it had changed for 2011 is not a valid excuse. I bet the parts guy gave a PF48 and the tech didn't care.

I didn't even know which filter was on ours and when I checked after 1800 miles, the dealer used a PF63. I probably wouldn't have started diy until they cheated on the oil, which they have an incentive to do since the vehicle does not require synthetic, merely a blend starting in 2011.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Where does the PF-48E fall into all of this. It appears to be another 3/8 inch shorter than the P48. The E version is what the GM dealer parts dept sold me on the last visit and swore that's the only thing that they put on the Lambdas of any vintage these days at that dealership. This particular dealer happened to be both Buick and GMC.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
john 070 said:
What would be odd is the tech removed a PF63, so whether he or she knew it had changed for 2011 is not a valid excuse. I bet the parts guy gave a PF48 and the tech didn't care.

I didn't even know which filter was on ours and when I checked after 1800 miles, the dealer used a PF63. I probably wouldn't have started diy until they cheated on the oil, which they have an incentive to do since the vehicle does not require synthetic, merely a blend starting in 2011.
Actually the 2011 was shipped with the PF48 instead of the PF 63.

At that time there were not enough PF63's being produced. Could not find any in stores and I ended up purchasing a case through RockAuto online.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
GerryL said:
Where does the PF-48E fall into all of this. It appears to be another 3/8 inch shorter than the P48. The E version is what the GM dealer parts dept sold me on the last visit and swore that's the only thing that they put on the Lambdas of any vintage these days at that dealership. This particular dealer happened to be both Buick and GMC.
. Always blame the parts guy! When I caught them using dexos and charging me for Mobil 1 (they accidentally stapled their copy to my receipt), the SA put on a show and yelled at the tech who said it was the parts guy's fault (how so, don't they fill from a hose?)

Why don't they all just admit they do this every day of the week? To put on a fake act like that is like being a child getting caught with his hand in the cookie jar, or a politician with an intern, or the COS.....

·
Registered
795 Posts
Sailfish said:
Actually the 2011 was shipped with the PF48 instead of the PF 63.

At that time there were not enough PF63's being produced. Could not find any in stores and I ended up purchasing a case through RockAuto online.
Actually, they still do. The vehicles are shipped with the PF48 because it is a shorter filter and will fit better in the engine crate than the PF63. They figure why design another engine crate for something so minor, just change it at the first oil change.

·
Registered
159 Posts
gostate said:
Actually, they still do. The vehicles are shipped with the PF48 because it is a shorter filter and will fit better in the engine crate than the PF63. They figure why design another engine crate for something so minor, just change it at the first oil change.
So is that the PF48 or the even shorter P48E that they are shipped with?

·
Registered
795 Posts
GerryL said:
So is that the PF48 or the even shorter P48E that they are shipped with?
The PF48. These engines are built at one of two plants either Flint South or St. Chatherine's Ont, Canada and shipped in crates to the plant in Lansing, MI. These shipping crates were designed using the PF48 and it's cheaper to ship it that way than to redesign the crates.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts