EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
So does anyone know if the PF48e is even appropriate for this vehicle? That seems to be what my local dealer's parts dept is providing when you ask for a filter for a Lambda.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,478 Posts
GerryL said:
So does anyone know if the PF48e is even appropriate for this vehicle? That seems to be what my local dealer's parts dept is providing when you ask for a filter for a Lambda.
Yes it is. The "E" represents a new design for the AC Delco filter. That includes a smaller size than the previous non-E filters, a plastic core inside and perhaps the biggest difference, it is no longer made by AC Delco. From what I understand, it is now manufactured by Champion Labs.

I personally have been buying the old style made by AC Delco on internet sites and am stock piling them. I have read a few reviews about the "E" filters and although most say they are fine, I am sticking with old school while I can.

AC Delco has started phasing in these new E filters around 2010 I believe, and are still adding different ones to the new line. I'm not sure how long the 48 or 61 versions have been available as an E type.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,673 Posts
I Just bought 3 PF-63 filters..... and they are PF-63E's
They came from a parts wherehouse that supplies dealers and shops with AC DELCO parts...

I still had a PF-63 old design but decided not to use it as the top was slightly bowed in --- possibly dropped or too much weight on the box...

anyways- Ive always read its not good to use a filter with a damaged can.

But I did place them side by side and compare them. they are definitely diff.. thought I think lenghtwise they were the same.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
rbarrios said:
I Just bought 3 PF-63 filters..... and they are PF-63E's
They came from a parts wherehouse that supplies dealers and shops with AC DELCO parts...

I still had a PF-63 old design but decided not to use it as the top was slightly bowed in --- possibly dropped or too much weight on the box...

anyways- Ive always read its not good to use a filter with a damaged can.

But I did place them side by side and compare them. they are definitely diff.. thought I think lenghtwise they were the same.
With the PF48s, the E version is about 1/4" shorter. Haven't yet seen a PF63e.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,673 Posts
here ya go---
Have some in the garage...
PF-63
vs
PF-63E
then PF-63E and PF-48E








 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
rbarrios said:
But I did place them side by side and compare them. they are definitely diff.. thought I think lenghtwise they were the same.
Well I screwed up and a couple of months ago I bought 2 PF47E's I don't know why I thought the number was 47 But I did.
Today I changed the oil and removed the filter. I grabbed the (what I thought was right) PF47E and wrote today's date on it.
THEN I looked at the old filter and noticed it didn't look the same. Put them side by side and sure enough what I took off was
a PF48. It appeared about ½" longer and the grate for the oil to go through was different too. Felt like an dummy to make a mistake like that.
It's not like it's the first time I changed it. Oh well off the store. First store didn't carry AC delco so went to Walmart. They had 48E's right
next to the 47E's and the boxes were exactly the same size. They had PF63's so I decided to try one of those. Can't understand why the
filters are getting smaller. So Rbarrios - you will have to let us know for sure if the PF63's are exactly the same size as the PF63E's as it appears
the E is a shorter version. ???

So now I have 2 47e's that are probably useless to me. Anyone know off the top of their head what engine uses the 47's?

Just a FYI is I added oil and used all of a 5.1 quart bottle and ½ of a 1 qt bottle, so a little more than in the past with the 48's but not much more.

Now I just have to decide if the 48E's are going to replace the 48's and if the 63E's are shorter do I want to stock up on 63's? ???
Of course the 63's are more money.
I should have opened the boxes of the 47e and 48e to see how different they are. Maybe I could use the 47e's Is there a chance that
the part numbers are different but they are the same inside? IDK. Do you think AC delco has tech support and knows what the differences are?

Oh a hard lesson to learn but I doubt that I will make that exact mistake again - at least in the near future. ;D

Are the 63's the same exact height RB?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,673 Posts
i dont have an old PF-63 on hand.
Its currently mounted in the equinox....
it wont be getting an oil change for another 5,000
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
rbarrios said:
here ya go---
Have some in the garage...
PF-63
vs
PF-63E
then PF-63E and PF-48E








Interesting, would you by chance have a 48 to put next to the 48E. Also I'm surprised at the difference in diameter of the 48e and the 63 at the base gasket. I've used only 48s for the last seven years. Is the base machined area on the engine large enough that it can fully accommodate what looks like a notably wider gasket diameter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,673 Posts
the PF-47E has 1,597 applications.


ICU check your PM's
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,673 Posts
GerryL said:
Interesting, would you by chance have a 48 to put next to the 48E. Also I'm surprised at the difference in diameter of the 48e and the 63 at the base gasket. I've used only 48s for the last seven years. Is the base machined area on the engine large enough that it can fully accommodate what looks like a notably wider gasket diameter?
I Just put the PF48E and 63 E on top of each other and they are a perfect match diameter wise
It was the angle of the camera.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,673 Posts
i have a pic of a factory PF-48 and a PF-63 side by side
from our Equinox.




and from a 2012 traverse
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
rbarrios said:
I Just put the PF48E and 63 E on top of each other and they are a perfect match diameter wise
It was the angle of the camera.
Ahhhh....an optical delusion
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
rbarrios said:
the PF-47E has 1,597 applications.


ICU check your PM's
Thanks - it seems there are not very many newer vehicles that the 47e's are used on.


Did/can you confirm if the 63 and 63E are the exact same lenght?
You don't have to take a picture (unless you want to) just curious if they are exact or are shorter like the 48 vs 48e.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,673 Posts
wont be able to until I remove the used one on my Equinox.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,673 Posts
PF48 vs PF48E


 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,961 Posts
Still, the difference between the 48 and the 63 doesn't look like a 1/2 a quart.... ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
rbarrios said:
PF48 vs PF48E


Am I the only one that thinks ACDelco puts the labels on upside down.

If you were to spin the filter to the left like the label shows you would be unthreading the filter.
I know it's not a big deal but this is just not right in my opinion.
I guess it would be too hard to flip them so they read right. :banghead:



Thanks for the image RB. Now, is there a reason they made the filters smaller and I assume that they
will be claiming that they work as good or better then the version without the "E"?
It also seems like the "E" version will be replacing the non "E" so I guess we won't have a choice in the near future.

Wasn't the whole reason to go to the PF63 over the PF48 that it cleaned more oil?
So I guess when Rbarrois confirms that the 63E is smaller then the 63's - well then I guess I will be using the 63E from here on out.
Maybe it's a way for them to get more money out of us. So what else is new......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,961 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,961 Posts
rbarrios said:
i have a pic of a factory PF-48 and a PF-63 side by side
from our Equinox.




and from a 2012 traverse
Both of these filters are PF63's in the picture - even the part numbers are the same.
 
21 - 40 of 59 Posts
Top