EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
You missed the word REPLACE/W so the smaller one is a PF48 which was installed at the Factory.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Ugh. Fine print. :happy: Thx ICU!

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
I think that the smaller factory filter is actually a PF-48 with a label indicating to "replace with PF-63" and the PF-63's replacement part number to insure that folks use the specified PF-63 beginning after the first oil change.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The engine crate realization make me happy . I knew there was another reason that the 48 was used at the factory and was to be replaced by a 63. This forum rocks

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
who here still believes in a break-in oil change? I personally do because oil is cheap.....

I had this discussion when I bought a new BMW in '07. I wanted the oil changed at 1,200, but didn't do it until 1,600.

I had major difficulties making the appt.--over and over, the person answering phone said your car does not need a break-in oil change, you can go 15,000. We are not going to take your money even though you are willing to waste it. I finally had to put my foot down and ask to speak with the service mgr.

You have to realize, back then, 40k was a lot for a car, and the car was very new--twin turbo, true duals, etc. Even a E46 M3 driver stopped in traffic and started asking me about my car.

The svc. mgr. said the reason you are getting the resistance over the phone is most people lease nowadays (2007). If you lease the car, what do you care, do the bare minimum. If it were me, and I owned it, I would do what you're doing, and change the oil at 1,200. This is old-fashioned and likely to be unnecessary, but I would do it anyway.

Under the hood of every M car is a label stating to change the oil in the first 1,200. Even though my car is not an M, it is a twin turbo and imho deserved the same! :thumb:

·
Registered
363 Posts
Perform a recent oil change on my Outlook because I checked the oil level and found it almost one quart over-filled, thanks to the dealership. :banghead: A PF48 was installed. When I removed the drain plug, the oil exited under pressure (sprayed) vs. the "normal" laminer-type flow out of the drain hole.

I have a magnetic drain plug, and I noted some fine metal tailings on the magnet. (It was recently back at the dealership for a front timing cover seal [leaking] replacement and a timing chain replacement, as a pro-active measure - no DTCs).

I replaced the PF48, which for the 1st time since I have owned the Outlook, I needed a cap wrench to remove it because it was what I call "liability-tight".

Installed a PF63 and filled with Pennzoil Platinum 5W30. I also checked, drained out and cleaned the PCV catch culvert in the air intake snorkel.

Speaking of other mechanic oversights, I noted the airbox mounts were loose. At the foot of the airbox, the lowest mount holds a grommet, which slides over a pin on the fender well. The grommet was totally AWOL, so the pin had nothing to grab onto. I had to get a replacement grommet :banghead:

Moral of the story - since I was so busy with work travel and other events, I failed to check the oil level after the servicing at the dealership. Also, when the dealership drops the engine cradle, do yourself a favor and look for any obvious oversights (oh, also found a missing plastic rivet for the front radiator beauty cover, too).

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
XRDreamliner said:
Perform a recent oil change on my Outlook because I checked the oil level and found it almost one quart over-filled, thanks to the dealership. :banghead: A PF48 was installed. When I removed the drain plug, the oil exited under pressure (sprayed) vs. the "normal" laminer-type flow out of the drain hole.

I have a magnetic drain plug, and I noted some fine metal tailings on the magnet. (It was recently back at the dealership for a front timing cover seal [leaking] replacement and a timing chain replacement, as a pro-active measure - no DTCs).

I replaced the PF48, which for the 1st time since I have owned the Outlook, I needed a cap wrench to remove it because it was what I call "liability-tight".

Installed a PF63 and filled with Pennzoil Platinum 5W30. I also checked, drained out and cleaned the PCV catch culvert in the air intake snorkel.

Speaking of other mechanic oversights, I noted the airbox mounts were loose. At the foot of the airbox, the lowest mount holds a grommet, which slides over a pin on the fender well. The grommet was totally AWOL, so the pin had nothing to grab onto. I had to get a replacement grommet :banghead:

Moral of the story - since I was so busy with work travel and other events, I failed to check the oil level after the servicing at the dealership. Also, when the dealership drops the engine cradle, do yourself a favor and look for any obvious oversights (oh, also found a missing plastic rivet for the front radiator beauty cover, too).
Doh, doh, and doh!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
XRDreamliner said:

hate to use this cliche, been there, done that. Not only overfilled, but dripping from the crossmember, which was the last time the dealer ever touched my oil. No integrity. Can you imagine a BMW tech doing something like that? It would show a lack of respect for himself being factory trained, and also the vehicles that he works on. At GM, it's par for the course. I can't imagine these people touching Vettes or CTS-V's or anything nice.

Oh yeah, they stripped the airbox so I told them to replace it, and there are push pins missing from all over under the hood. In 2014, how does this happen, seriously?

·
Registered
363 Posts
john 070 said:
hate to use this cliche, been there, done that. Not only overfilled, but dripping from the crossmember, which was the last time the dealer ever touched my oil. No integrity. Can you imagine a BMW tech doing something like that? It would show a lack of respect for himself being factory trained, and also the vehicles that he works on. At GM, it's par for the course. I can't imagine these people touching Vettes or CTS-V's or anything nice.

Oh yeah, they stripped the airbox so I told them to replace it, and there are push pins missing from all over under the hood. In 2014, how does this happen, seriously?
It most likely is due to techs "beating the clock" on the repair - it puts money in their pocket... "it says 4.5 hrs. ha!, I can do it in 4 hr." The other issue is come-backs - the SA hates to have cars come back from knowledgable customers who actually look under hood and see these oversights and guffaws. I bring it back for the missing rivet, I get the eye roll from the SA. I tell them the crankcase got overfilled, while more obvious, it is like I'm asking for their 1st-born child. In my history with this dealership, they seem to fix the major stuff properly, just expect the seemingly (to them) minor finishing steps to be not so well executed.

Oh, almost forgot, anyone else ever find a tool in the engine compartment? I know how they secured the airbox bolts, because the tech left the torx bit attached to the 1/4" drive extension at the base of the windshield! So I got a free tool out of the deal... :drunk:

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
XRDreamliner said:
It most likely is due to techs "beating the clock" on the repair - it puts money in their pocket... "it says 4.5 hrs. ha!, I can do it in 4 hr." The other issue is come-backs - the SA hates to have cars come back from knowledgable customers who actually look under hood and see these oversights and guffaws. I bring it back for the missing rivet, I get the eye roll from the SA. I tell them the crankcase got overfilled, while more obvious, it is like I'm asking for their 1st-born child. In my history with this dealership, they seem to fix the major stuff properly, just expect the seemingly (to them) minor finishing steps to be not so well executed.

Oh, almost forgot, anyone else ever find a tool in the engine compartment? I know how they secured the airbox bolts, because the tech left the torx bit attached to the 1/4" drive extension at the base of the windshield! So I got a free tool out of the deal... :drunk:
haha back when I was a poor struggling college student who liked Volvos, there would often be Snap On specialty tools left under my hood. But I would always return them.

I had to have my car fixed at a dismantler. He was such a good guy, I would tow my car in Easter Sunday and wake the proprietor up off the couch....long story short he was good at what he did (like work on 6 cyl. Volvos) but drank while he worked, as well as feeding the local wildlife (chipmunks, squirrels, birds). So I guess he would often forget to retrieve his tools etc.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a 2011 Enclave and have faithfully been using The PF-63 since new. I am confused at all the different pictures of Pf 63's, 63E's & 48's. I have always used a 63 which is longer than a 48. I've always had to order them, usually 2 at a time. Finally asked an auto parts why they don't stock them, as I thought, by now they would. He told me the 63 is optional but not necessary. I too, was under impression that the 63 would provide a little extra oil.
What gives???
Buick, feel free to chime in!

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
PF-48 on 2009-2010
PF-63 on 2011+.......from the factory they come with a filter that LOOKS like the PF-48- but is actually a PF-64. (yeah- fooled me too)

·
Registered
6,673 Posts
Installing the Correct Replacement Spin-On Oil Filter
April 10, 2015

Beginning in 2012, the V6 engine (RPOs LFW, LFX, LLT) available in 2012-2016 Enclave, LaCrosse; 2012 SRX; 2013-2016 SRX, XTS; 2012-2013 Captiva (VIN L), Impala; 2012-2016 Equinox, Traverse; 2014-2016 Captiva (VIN L), Impala (VIN W), Impala (VIN (1); and 2012-2016 Acadia and Terrain (excluding police vehicles with RPO 9C1, 9C3) was redesigned with tighter engine tolerances. The oil pressure was increased to accommodate these tighter tolerances. As a result, the oil filter specifications of the production oil filter and the service oil filter were also improved to meet the new engine requirements.

When servicing these V6 engines, it’s important to use the recommended replacement ACDelco PF63E oil filter (GM #19330000) (Fig. 14) to ensure proper engine oil filtration and engine performance.

These V6 engines are factory built with an ACDelco PF64 oil filter, which may be confused with the ACDelco PF48 oil filter because both oil filters have the same appearance and oil can size. However, these two oil filters have different internal specifications. The OEM PF64 oil filter has a much higher bypass valve rating that matches the service oil filter requirement of the PF63E, which was specifically chosen to match the performance demands of these engines.

The ACDelco PF64 oil filter installed by the factory meets the specifications of the ACDelco PF63E, but due to the length of the ACDelco PF63E oil filter can, the engine plant cannot build with it because it currently interferes with the assembly line process.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Engine oil filter PF 48 vs PF 63

I had vacuum pump servo checked which was ok , software updated and new oil & filter.

Think it was around £276 worth of warranty work. which given the fact the garage rates are some on the lowest in the uk , would be nearer £350?

since the update, i-stop takes a little longer to come on when stopped, almost like its forgotten to activate.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Bruiser said:
I have a 2011 Enclave and have faithfully been using The PF-63 since new. I am confused at all the different pictures of Pf 63's, 63E's & 48's. I have always used a 63 which is longer than a 48. I've always had to order them, usually 2 at a time. Finally asked an auto parts why they don't stock them, as I thought, by now they would. He told me the 63 is optional but not necessary. I too, was under impression that the 63 would provide a little extra oil.
What gives???
Buick, feel free to chime in!
My owner's manuals states PF-63 is the filter for our car, then again it lists the wrong wiper blades. Anything with E is the newer/cheaper design (it's all over the web, even pics of them cut apart). Personally not willing to knowingly install a cheaper product, so when the 10 PF63's are done (in the basement), switching to WIX. I totally understand the PF63E is good enough, but knowing that it's physically constructed in a cheaper fashion means it's not going on our car.

Walmart still has PF63's as of a month ago, but the price is jacked. Amazon too, showing how smart they are. When something is in demand, the price adjusts upward.

·
Super Moderator
21,166 Posts
Re: Engine oil filter PF 48 vs PF 63

[/color]
GoGoodwill said:
I had vacuum pump servo checked which was ok , software updated and new oil & filter.

Think it was around £276 worth of warranty work. which given the fact the garage rates are some on the lowest in the uk , would be nearer £350?

since the update, i-stop[/color] takes a little longer to come on when stopped, almost like its forgotten to activate.
??? Is that hill hold?

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, I've read the older posts regarding the change to the PF63 for 2011 model year Enclaves. My wife and I purchased a 2011 Enclave CXL this year (July 2014) still covered by CPO warranty and included oil changes and tire rotations. I noticed when we purchased the Enclave it had a PF-48 oil filter instead of the PF-63 as the manual specifies and is also specified on AC Delco's website as well as other parts suppliers, not the PF48. Since the oil changes are still being covered by GM I figured the next time it went in the dealer would install the PF63. Nope, it's been in for oil changes twice to the same dealer and they have not installed the service specified PF63 filter yet. I contacted the service department simply asking why the PF48 was installed instead of the PF63. This is the response from the service department:

"Customer complained that we were using the "wrong" oil filter on her vehicle when she brought it in for service. I assured her at check in that we used her vin number to look up the filter and it would be correct. I did call backs yesterday and she said the service was good, but her husband noted we used the wrong filter again. Long story short, we are using "shorter" oil filter due to techs burning their hands. Parts assured me that the filter is compatible, and that it does not effect the performance of the filtration of oil"

One would think they would use what is specified by the manufacturer, especially since they are a dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, I've read the older posts regarding the change to the PF63 for 2011 model year Enclaves. My wife and I purchased a 2011 Enclave CXL this year (July 2014) still covered by CPO warranty and included oil changes and tire rotations. I noticed when we purchased the Enclave it had a PF-48 oil filter instead of the PF-63 as the manual specifies and is also specified on AC Delco's website as well as other parts suppliers, not the PF48. Since the oil changes are still being covered by GM I figured the next time it went in the dealer would install the PF63. Nope, it's been in for oil changes twice to the same dealer and they have not installed the service specified PF63 filter yet. I contacted the service department simply asking why the PF48 was installed instead of the PF63. This is the response from the service department:

"Customer complained that we were using the "wrong" oil filter on her vehicle when she brought it in for service. I assured her at check in that we used her vin number to look up the filter and it would be correct. I did call backs yesterday and she said the service was good, but her husband noted we used the wrong filter again. Long story short, we are using "shorter" oil filter due to techs burning their hands. Parts assured me that the filter is compatible, and that it does not effect the performance of the filtration of oil"

One would think they would use what is specified by the manufacturer, especially since they are a dealer.
I had the same problem and my research found this from GM Teck Link. With the auto shut off feature I would follow GM's recommendation not the do it cheap as possible dealer's, not all oil filters are equal. Remember, if you have a warranty issue using the wrong filter will be brought up.

"The PF64 and PF63 (Fig. 20) filters are commonly confused as an ACDelco PF48 and/or PF48E filter because both oil filters have the same appearance and oil can size. ... The PF48/PF48E has a pressure specification of 15 PSI (100 kPa) while the PF64/PF63E has a pressure specification of 22 PSI (150 kPa)."

Spin-On Oil Filter Replacement – TechLink

·
Registered
1 Posts

how would this help the tech not burn his/her hand if by making it shorter you are actually closer to the heat source lol. Total money grab/cost cutting measure not surprised at all

41 - 59 of 59 Posts