EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

What is the ethnic background/nationality of the owner of your enclave?

• Caucasion/European American

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • African American

• Asian American

• Latino/Hispanic American

• Other

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to be as politically correct with this poll as possible. But I am Asian American and among myself, my family and my asian friends, we all typically drive japanese or foreign cars. So it was a stretch for me to buy a Buick. I'm just wondering if ethnicity plays a role in who buys the Enclave. Are Asian Americans being "converted" to American cars with this vehicle?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
:ditto: Good one![/color]

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
2MuchCoffee said:
Maybe Asian-Americans are smart and earn enough to "move up" to Enclave from some Honda or something. ;D
Maybe you misunderstood my statement. IMO, asians do not buy American cars because we perceive them to not be of good quality, reliability, etc. (Of course, I'm generalizing here) But you seem to be implying that we buy cheap cars, which is not the case. Asians often buy Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, etc. With the Enclave, I was wondering if the styling, quality and reliability would attract more asians to consider an American brand instead of other luxury brands. It's not a matter of "moving up."

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
nclave1 said:
Maybe you misunderstood my statement. IMO, asians do not buy American cars because we perceive them to not be of good quality, reliability, etc. (Of course, I'm generalizing here) But you seem to be implying that we buy cheap cars, which is not the case. Asians often buy Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, etc. With the Enclave, I was wondering if the styling, quality and reliability would attract more asians to consider an American brand instead of other luxury brands. It's not a matter of "moving up."
I can't speak to what 2muchcoffee meant here, but I was giving the "ditto" to a tongue-in-cheek teasing, as Americans are not really known for building "luxury" vehicles. No offense was meant.[/color] :cheers:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, I'm an Asian-American too. All I can say is that I bought my Buick Enclave because it was the best all-around vehicle out there for my familial needs and for the money I had. It really didn't matter to me if the vehicle was American, German, Japanese, or Swedish. As long it stood out or viewed favorably in each important category then I would have been interested. My only requirements were AWD, comfortable 7 to 8-passenger seating, and no minivans on my list! The other vehicle in my household is an '05 Subaru Legacy GT wagon.

·
Registered
22 Posts
kklui said:
Well, I'm an Asian-American too. All I can say is that I bought my Buick Enclave because it was the best all-around vehicle out there for my familial needs and for the money I had. It really didn't matter to me if the vehicle was American, German, Japanese, or Swedish. As long it stood out or viewed favorably in each important category then I would have been interested. My only requirements were AWD, comfortable 7 to 8-passenger seating, and no minivans on my list! The other vehicle in my household is an '05 Subaru Legacy GT wagon.
^+1....Except that we're a mixed Latino/Asian-American household.....my wife drives the Enclave and I drive an '05 LegacyGT. Before the Enclave, we considered Saab, Volvo, Audi and of course the other Lambdas. This is our first Buick and the Legacy is our first Subaru but in both cases so far, we are very happy with the value in their respective categories.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree with what all of you have said. I bought the E after looking at many other options. Like kklui, I needed a vehicle that can fit my expanding family (2 adults and 3 car seats). And like kklui, a minivan was out of the question. The E provides the room and also the styling and pride that I would like to have when driving around town. I'm in my 30's and my wife is in her late 20's so we didn't want to have the image that goes with driving a minivan. We are so glad that we found the E and are thrilled to show it off.
I started this poll just to see if other Asians were buying the car. So far everyone of my friends who have seen it are quite impressed.
Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
nclave1 said:
I started this poll just to see if other Asians were buying the car. So far everyone of my friends who have seen it are quite impressed.Thanks for your comments.
My friends too, nclave, no matter where they come from or their background. That's what makes it "sweet[/color]"! [/color] ;D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Nclave1,

I think it may be a matter of what Asian ethnicity you are.

If you are of Chinese extraction, then history should tell you that a Buick would be your first choice over any other Asian car. Buick is a revered brand in China. This goes back to the pre Mao Communist days. So much so, that one reason for the high quality of the fit and finish on the Enclave is to meet the expectations of the mainland Chinese market. The Enclave is a huge hit in China. I know it may be surprising to appreciate that in a country where the bicylcle was the main form of transport, that there would be such a huge demand for the Enclave. I believe there was an article noting this in either the NYT or other pub. As well, when GM announced last week their biggest loss ever ( and biggest corporate loss ever, they showed one highlight and that was the demand overseas exceeded US and pointed out the the Enclave in China.

Press

·
Registered
260 Posts
I'm 75% Chinese and 25% Filipino, but it doesn't really matter to me what I buy (goes for anything) as long as it meets my expectations of quality, style, and function.

BTW: Even though I am Asian, I am probably the most whitewashed person you will ever meet. I don't own or play a piano, my parents don't drive an import, I'm tired of Chinese food, I wear non-asian style clothing, I never get any money or red pockets on Chinese New Year, and I quit playing Pokemon a long time ago. But, I am really smart ;D

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
jonv112 said:
I'm 75% Chinese and 25% Filipino, but it doesn't really matter to me what I buy (goes for anything) as long as it meets my expectations of quality, style, and function.

BTW: Even though I am Asian, I am probably the most whitewashed person you will ever meet. I don't own or play a piano, my parents don't drive an import, I'm tired of Chinese food, I wear non-asian style clothing, I never get any money or red pockets on Chinese New Year, and I quit playing Pokemon a long time ago. But, I am really smart ;D
And C♥♥L, too owning an Enclave! [/color] 8)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
2005 Red Montana SV6 1SC Ext(Grey int), Touring Package, Trailering Package, Auto-level shocks, Dual Power Sliding Doors, DVD Entertainment system, Rear Spoiler, 17" Chrome Wheels, Traction Control, Stabilitrak
Oops, I just read your sig and you don't own an Enclave YET...you're cool, anyway, for bein' a fan![/color] 8)

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
press said:
Nclave1,

I think it may be a matter of what Asian ethnicity you are.

If you are of Chinese extraction, then history should tell you that a Buick would be your first choice over any other Asian car. Buick is a revered brand in China. This goes back to the pre Mao Communist days. So much so, that one reason for the high quality of the fit and finish on the Enclave is to meet the expectations of the mainland Chinese market. The Enclave is a huge hit in China. I know it may be surprising to appreciate that in a country where the bicylcle was the main form of transport, that there would be such a huge demand for the Enclave. I believe there was an article noting this in either the NYT or other pub. As well, when GM announced last week their biggest loss ever ( and biggest corporate loss ever, they showed one highlight and that was the demand overseas exceeded US and pointed out the the Enclave in China.

Press
Press, there was a thread here way back when we were all waiting for our ordered Enclave that China was getting, like a bizillian of then before we got ours...tee hee...it was all in fun! [/color] :angel:

·
Registered
758 Posts
I don't know if some people of European descent are generally taller, but I can only fit in some vehicles. Many American and Asian cars now have too little headroom inside or in the doorway for me to fit comfortably. So my choices in cars are skewed toward larger American SUV types and Swedish/German cars which overwhelmingly fit larger frames from my experience.

TM

·
Registered
644 Posts
Tin Man said:
I don't know if some people of European descent are generally taller, but I can only fit in some vehicles. Many American and Asian cars now have too little headroom inside or in the doorway for me to fit comfortably. So my choices in cars are skewed toward larger American SUV types and Swedish/German cars which overwhelmingly fit larger frames from my experience.

TM
This has been a huge issue for me, too. I don't think at 6-2 I'm exceptionally large by American standards, but the automakers are not considering size (homogenization being the key for them). I can't even get my head through the door of the Land Cruiser or Highlander or many other vehicles. Although I don't want one, I can fit and see in the Enclave with a moonroof which has to lower the headliner a bit. I liked the Volvo XC-90, but felt cramped. I'll miss my 16 year old Trooper when it's gone; has been a great car, with great headroom and features.

The salesman who sold us the Odyssey van was showing me the Pilot a year or so ago. With one butt cheek on the seat, my head was still 4 inches above the roof of the car. At that point, he sat sidesaddle in the seat and swung his legs in as a viable alternative. I told him I quit getting in that way when I stopped wearing skirts a few years ago! :eek:

BB

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
blurrybill said:
This has been a huge issue for me, too. I don't think at 6-2 I'm exceptionally large by American standards, but the automakers are not considering size (homogenization being the key for them). I can't even get my head through the door of the Land Cruiser or Highlander or many other vehicles. Although I don't want one, I can fit and see in the Enclave with a moonroof which has to lower the headliner a bit. I liked the Volvo XC-90, but felt cramped. I'll miss my 16 year old Trooper when it's gone; has been a great car, with great headroom and features.

The salesman who sold us the Odyssey van was showing me the Pilot a year or so ago. With one butt cheek on the seat, my head was still 4 inches above the roof of the car. At that point, he sat sidesaddle in the seat and swung his legs in as a viable alternative. I told him I quit getting in that way when I stopped wearing skirts a few years ago! :eek:

BB
Heh heh...tell me BB, at 6'2" how did you get the skirts long enough...?! Lol! You crack me up...[/color] :happy:

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm 6'5" tall and somewhere north of 275 lbs and I almost bought a highlander. Maybe I bend differently. I also know of dirt that is younger than I am so I'm pretty stiff in the joints. I always have had at least one small sedan or sports car and that probably makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
JustDriftin said:
I'm 6'5" tall and somewhere north of 275 lbs and I almost bought a highlander. Maybe I bend differently. I also know of dirt that is younger than I am so I'm pretty stiff in the joints. I always have had at least one small sedan or sports car and that probably makes a difference.
Now, I really want to see a bigger picture of that bike, JustDriftin! :cheers:

1 - 20 of 79 Posts