EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a resident of southern Ontario our cars come into contact with probly more road salt than probably anywhere in Canada/North America. It is very usual to obtain dealer or better still after market rust protection. Our current car, a Vibe, gets treatment every other year at Krown Rust. Just wondering if any of you have got your Enclave treated?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
YES. Krown. Do it if you plan an keeping it more than 4 years.

My Krown guy told/showed me there are lines for the rear HVAC that run under the right side of the vehicle which are very susceptible to rot and I should actually treat that area twice a year.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,825 Posts
FWIW: I've been told before that adding extra rust protection is not only not needed, but in some cases it can hurt things, rather than help. The manufatures these days go to high measures for rust protection from the factory, and it shows in their warranties. Do as you wish, but make sure it doesn't void the already great rust-thru protection in place from GM
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
kidsenclave said:
FWIW: I've been told before that adding extra rust protection is not only not needed, but in some cases it can hurt things, rather than help. The manufatures these days go to high measures for rust protection from the factory, and it shows in their warranties. Do as you wish, but make sure it doesn't void the already great rust-thru protection in place from GM

I agree kidsencalve, rust proofing is not needed…

In a former life I was a project manager on PLC control systems for Ford paint line robotic installations using GM Fanuc robots. Most if not all paint lines used by the US automakers utilized triple full body emersion acid etching of the entire body to remove oils and slag. This is then followed by triple dip epoxy coat (E-Coat) all electrostatic BTW. Then application of prime, base and clear-coat finishes. Anti-chip is applied in some cases between the E-Coat and basecoat layers to A Pillars and other frontal areas prone to chip. Oven baking is performed between E-Coat, Prime and Base/Clear coat layers.

These finishes are phenomenal protection against corrosion. You should not see rust for decades under normal conditions. I define normal to include salted roads, as almost all northern states apply salt in the winter, Canada as well.

That does not mean they will not rust where there has been minor body damage, chipping and scratching. A good inspection of the undercarriage a few times a year is a good idea to indentify and recoat areas that may have been damaged.

The Buick anti-chip has a little bit to be desired, as I have a few chips in my Clave already. These chips “usually” occur between the E-Coat and Prime layer and typically do not expose the underlying steel to the elements. The E-Coat to Primer layer has always been the most challenging bond for the paint manufacturers. Me, I will take a few stone chips to rust any day.

All that being said I have been out of the paint side of the industry for 10 years, I am sure there has been even more progress since I have move on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
Thank you, SkiForLife, for the great post. One of the things I have enjoyed being here in this Forum is to get the insights and perspective of well-informed and experienced industry insiders. Thanks for the discussion. :thumb:

2Much
My pleasure 2muchCoffee, glad to dump a few memories.

A footnote to the post.. If one has to have body work on their Clave as the result of a fender bender, etc. Choose your body shop very carefully. The body shops that can correctly duplicate the factory finish are far and few between.

Ski
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SkiForLife said:
I agree kidsencalve, rust proofing is not needed…

These finishes are phenomenal protection against corrosion. You should not see rust for decades under normal conditions. I define normal to include salted roads, as almost all northern states apply salt in the winter, Canada as well.
I dont mean to brag but you just cant believe the conditions that cars are subjected to in Ontario, with excessive road salt being the most obvious problem.

I have no doubt the current finishes are much superior to those available even only a decade earlier but for one like myself that buy only new and then keep it beyond 10 years it has been my experience that it is the body, car that is ;) that goes first (i.e. not the engine).

And in the heart of salt country after market "Krown Rust" has a very good reputation (http://www.krown.com/) .
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
For what its worth, Krown is an inter/underbody rust protection and is not applied to the exterior paint finish. It repells water and cost $125 a year to apply on the E. It is not like the 1 time rust protection offered by the dealer or zeibart which require an upfront cost and annual inspections. I'm no expert in this area and I don't work for Krown but I do trust this stuff and it is guaranteed and I have not had any issues over the past 10 years. Maybe this is because of what Ski states.

Ski's insight is beneficial :thumb: but I'm sure he won't cover me if I get rust and not sure where GM will be in 4 years either let alone next month to back their warranty.

I will be happy to be the guinne pig (since mine was done) to show off the underside of my E in 4 years of Heavy salt and abuse to anyone else who has chosen not to. At that time I will have 135,000 km (80000 M) of which 1/3 will have been under heavy salt conditions with no under car washes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
288 Posts
I use Ziebart here where we are in Michigan. My plan is to keep the E for a long time - so I had it done. Any of our cars we keep, we've had this done. In addition to the rust protection it has additional sound dampening qualities too. I can tell the difference - which is another side benefit in my opinion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
TourGuide said:
I use Ziebart here where we are in Michigan.
Ziebart is available up here also. The debate re after market rust protection is whether a one time application (and I think this is the case for Z) can really protect for the life of the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,130 Posts
copperbeech said:
I dont mean to brag but you just cant believe the conditions that cars are subjected to in Ontario, with excessive road salt being the most obvious problem.

I have no doubt the current finishes are much superior to those available even only a decade earlier but for one like myself that buy only new and then keep it beyond 10 years it has been my experience that it is the body, car that is ;) that goes first (i.e. not the engine).

And in the heart of salt country after market "Krown Rust" has a very good reputation (http://www.krown.com/) .
It sounds like you have made up your mind. Others were simply providing feedback as requested. :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
zman said:
It sounds like you have made up your mind. Others were simply providing feedback as requested. :cheers:
Sorry dont get me wrong as I do enjoy reading the replies. And given that my current car gets the every other year Krown I was leaning to this for my vehicle also.

I guess my original post was intended to see how many of us actually invested in after market rust protection for the E.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
139 Posts
SkiForLife said:
My pleasure 2muchCoffee, glad to dump a few memories.

A footnote to the post.. If one has to have body work on their Clave as the result of a fender bender, etc. Choose your body shop very carefully. The body shops that can correctly duplicate the factory finish are far and few between.

Ski

No worries, did the Oakville assembly plant back in the day. You folks get nailed up there. Coat er' up and share the experience down the road.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
copperbeech/IMHIP2, would you recommend any particular Krown dealer(s) in GTA, preferably east/north/central? Or would any one do? There is a Krown shop in Pickering which is the closest to me.

In the past I've used the car dealer's product. I declined it this time knowing I could find a better better product but never got to it - the lazy bum in me. Well the winter is over now and guess I will have to get it done in the fall?

TIA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
vmtls said:
copperbeech/IMHIP2, would you recommend any particular Krown dealer(s) in GTA, preferably east/north/central? Or would any one do? There is a Krown shop in Pickering which is the closest to me.
I had been pleased with a Krown shop that had been recommended to me several years ago...in Scarborough down Markham Road. But the owner retired and since than I have used once the Krown closest to my home. Lets see what IMHIP2 has to say.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
vmtls said:
copperbeech/IMHIP2, would you recommend any particular Krown dealer(s) in GTA, preferably east/north/central? Or would any one do? There is a Krown shop in Pickering which is the closest to me.

In the past I've used the car dealer's product. I declined it this time knowing I could find a better better product but never got to it - the lazy bum in me. Well the winter is over now and guess I will have to get it done in the fall?

TIA.
I have been using the one in Newmarket since 1999. This store is family owned and they know me when I come in every year. Great service. The one in Pickering should be fine but ask around. I'm sure some of your neighbours or co-workers have it done there.

If you want the lifetime warranty you need to get the vehicle done before it is 5 or 6 months old (in service date) so waiting till the fall will cause this opportunity to lapse. In the spring they sometimes have specials. There use to be CAA discounts if you are a member (not sure if they still exist).

The Enclave is a Large SUV to them so with multi vehicle discount mine was 119.95 plus tax. Tried to get it done on the Saturday I picked the E up but they were only open till noon so I had it done on the Monday morning first thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
IMHIP2 said:
If you want the lifetime warranty you need to get the vehicle done before it is 5 or 6 months old (in service date) so waiting till the fall will cause this opportunity to lapse.

The Enclave is a Large SUV to them so with multi vehicle discount mine was 119.95 plus tax.
One of my cars I get Krowned every other year. I know this wont get the Krown warranty but I had read in more than one place that this routine would still protect the car and of course cut down on the cost.

Did the Newmarket outlet say they had seen many of the Lambda vehicles? Always good to go somewhere where they have experience with a specific model...considering they will be drilling into it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,087 Posts
Copperbeach

As far as I know Newmarket have done a number of Lambda. See PM I sent you.

I would also agree that if you don't care about the warranty and want to have protection at a lesser cost once every two years may suffice.

All our vehicle get it once a year though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,693 Posts
I've seen and read about the Krown system and was impressed with the literature. I don't need anything like that here in Missouri but I would do the Krown system before any traditional rustproofing systems like Ziebart or standard undercoating. I would like to see some long-term, first-hand results with the treatment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
179 Posts
IMHIP2 said:
I have been using the one in Newmarket since 1999. This store is family owned and they know me when I come in every year. Great service. The one in Pickering should be fine but ask around. I'm sure some of your neighbours or co-workers have it done there.

If you want the lifetime warranty you need to get the vehicle done before it is 5 or 6 months old (in service date) so waiting till the fall will cause this opportunity to lapse. In the spring they sometimes have specials. There use to be CAA discounts if you are a member (not sure if they still exist).
Thanks for the very helpful info, IMHIP2. This was a question I wanted ask here myself and I am glad copperbeech brought it up on time. Thank you too.

Like you said, I will get it done sooner rather than later in order to get the lifetime coverage. Yes, I am a CAA member and will keep my eyes open for Spring specials. Will start looking for Pickering shop references and if that fails will go to Newmarket since it is only once a year.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top