EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while driving a short distance the engine lost power, the check engine light came on as well as the traction control light, the AC was shut off and the temp gauge was pegged at 260 degrees and an audible alarm sounded that I could not turn off.. I imediatey pulled over and opened the hood. To my surprise no steam, water overflow contained water, not hot smell. Confused I waited till the temp guage came down to about 210 and drove the short distance to my mechanics garage.

Mechanic replaced the temp sending unit but the issue was not resolved ??????? Engine block temp was 206 degrees read with an IR temp gauge. Also had to disconnect the battery to shut the beeping audible alarm off.

Since the actual temperature of the engine did not rise above 206 degrees while left running for over an hour, it is reasonable to determine that the thermostat was working properly and there was water circulating thru the block.

At a stand still for now. Don't know what to do next. HELP !

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
you dont mention.
But did you remove the plastic shield- and check the coolant level in the radiator itself.
The coolant level should be all the way to the top- practically touches the bottom of the radiator cap.

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
yes do that.
Its possible for there to be air in the radiator. thus low on coolant.. yet the overflow bottle will not change.
experienced this last week when I replaced my radiator.
on the 2nd day- after a nice hot drive- the following morning- the level in the reservoir did not drop.
I knew it should have.
Removed radiator cap- the level was indeed a bit low.
Added coolant to the top to try to remove as much air.
Drove the vehicle again.
The next day- the level in reservoir dropped. Obviously the coolant had burped out more air- and this time- sucked in liquid as it cooled.
the following day the coolant level in radiator was high- touching the cap.
and every day since- the reservoir returns to the FULL mark on the bottle. So its safe to say- all air has beer purged.

I like to add coolant to the bottle (cold) so that it always stops at the FULL Mark on the side. that way its easy to tell if your engine is losing coolant. Especially since the water pumps on these are known to slowly leak

1 - 4 of 4 Posts