EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking through some old photographs and ran across one of my Grandmother. What a difference the women of today dress compared to back then. My Grandmother was born in the 1890's, Grandfather in the mid 1880's.

The women, from left to right are Aunt Sylvia, Grandmother Mae, Aunt Myrtle and Aunt Minnie. The last woman was a family friend and there was no name on the back of the photograph.

They lived on a farm around the corner from the one my Grandparents eventually owned and where my Mother was born, photo below of where my Mother was born in 1918.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Gee, she was born in a castle!! Here's my mom's birth place - born in 1919 - just outside of Cambridge, Nebraska...

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
WOW rockyp that looks like the house my Father was born in here in north Dayton.

It was several years ago when the farm was up for sale again and my Mother and I sneaked inside. There were three rooms downstairs an d three rooms upstairs. From what Mother told me she was born in the upstairs front bedroom.

I will have to take a photograph of this sometime as I have sitting in my dining room the high-chair my Mother sat in when she was small.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So....this is where I grew up, at least from the age of 5 on. My Mother, age 93, still lives in this house. Pretty amazing right?

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Sailfish, the two homes look alike from the outside, though the newer home looks MUCH newer and better kept.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They do that was the first thing I noticed when my Mother drove my Brother and I past the house when we were small! Two of her Aunts, Sylvia and Minnie (and their husbands) had homes/farms on the same road and we would stay there on occasion.

LOL my Great Aunt Minnie who's farm was across the road from where my Mother lived, didn't have inside facilities either and when my Brother and I would stay there when we were small it was creepy going out side when it was dark. Strange thing is when she grew older she moved into Eaton into a really tiny house and rented her farm out to her brother's son yet still for years the farm house didn't have inside facilities.

Like I said my Grandmother and her sisters grew up down the road and around the corner from farm my Mother was born on. Several of the family members had property along there. When they built I-70 some land from two of my Great Aunt's farms were bought up by the government for use.

The house I grew up in was built in 1832. I helped Mother when she wanted to have vinyl siding and new windows installed on it back in 1998 and then she had a new roof put in 3 years ago.

Not sure of the year built for the one my Mother was born in as I cannot locate the property in the online auditor's records. I need to know the address or the owners names or the parcel number assigned to it. Since it has sat vacant for several decades I have no idea who the current owner is. I think I may ask Mother next time I speak with her.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have been on the board less often lately. Yea I know most of you didn't even miss me.

My Mother has been placed in a nursing home, has been there for over a week now. She was rushed to the hospital Jan 1st with congestive heart failure.

At 94 she has led a pretty darn good and long life. I am having a hard time adjusting to the reality she may never live back in the home I grew up in.

My Brother and I haven't even discussed what to do with all the stuff in her house. Perhaps that is just avoidance on our part from accepting reality.

If your parents are still around...give them each a HUGE hug.

If not, you have my thoughts and prayers as it is tough, on everyone.

Next month it will be 33 LOL can't count, it has been 24 years since my Father passed away, and that day is also would be his 100th birthday.

Take care...have a wonderful day and upcoming weekend.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Happy Birthday Father! Today I am celebrating your "100th" birthday.

You left us 24 years ago today, on your 76th birthday and I do so still miss you.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Sailfish said:
Happy Birthday Father! Today I am celebrating your "100th" birthday.

You left us 24 years ago today, on your 76th birthday and I do so still miss you.

He would be happy to know that you still miss him. :comfort:

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My Mother passed away early this morning, her health had declined dramatically since Christmas when all of us were last together for dinner. She had a long life, 94 years this past December. She joins my Father who passed away February 1989. May they both RIP. One day I will join them again...until then I miss them both tremendously.

This is for my Mother.

God our Father,
Your power brings us to birth,
Your providence guides our lives,
and by Your command we return to dust.

Lord, those who die still live in Your presence,
their lives change but do not end.
I pray in hope for my family,
relatives and friends,
and for all the dead known to You alone.

In company with Christ,
Who died and now lives,
may they rejoice in Your kingdom,
where all our tears are wiped away.
Unite us together again in one family,
to sing Your praise forever and ever.

Amen

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
Sailfish
Our prayers are with you and your family.

MRBUICK and family

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today we lay my Mother to rest. Here is a poem I picked out to be read at her graveside service.

God's Garden Must Be Beautiful.

God looked around the garden, and found an empty space.
He looked down upon the earth, and saw your tired face.
He put his arms around you, and lifted you to rest.
God's garden must be beautiful for he only takes the best.
He knew that you were weary, and he knew you were in pain.
He knew that you would never, be well on earth again.
He saw the roads were getting rough, and the hills were hard to climb.
So he closed your weary eyelids, and whispered peace be thine.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Re: Re: Family memories

Sail I'm so sorry for you loss. Losing someone close to you is never easy.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
592 Posts
I am also sorry for your loss, but she is with her Lord, and you will meet again.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Sailfish said:
Today we lay my Mother to rest. Here is a poem I picked out to be read at her graveside service.

God's Garden Must Be Beautiful.

God looked around the garden, and found an empty space.
He looked down upon the earth, and saw your tired face.
He put his arms around you, and lifted you to rest.
God's garden must be beautiful for he only takes the best.
He knew that you were weary, and he knew you were in pain.
He knew that you would never, be well on earth again.
He saw the roads were getting rough, and the hills were hard to climb.
So he closed your weary eyelids, and whispered peace be thine.
Perfect.:)

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I remember when...one of those Sailfish and Mom's Wednesday adventure stories was this.

I headed out that particular morning at 8am driving the trusty 03 VUE heading to West Alex. Arrived at Mothers around 9am and off we went, about 30 minutes later, to Good Sam North, up near Englewood.

Arrived 45 minutes after that at the Doctor's office and sat and waited and waited.

FINALLY it was her turn and into the room we went and we waited and waited.

Then here comes the Doctor with this really really long and really really big needle. It wasn't the first time I saw him give her this shot in her knees and it wasn't going to be the last. (I shudder thinking that my own Orthopedic doctor may suggest doing the same thing to my knee...but not the story).

Once he was finished we headed back to the VUE and off we went to have lunch at the Buckhorn Tavern. LOL I had an ice tea and Mother...a coke with a shot of whiskey. She and I laughed and talked and chowed down on some really good liver and onions with mashed potatoes.

We left and headed to Brookville because she mentioned she needed a couple things from the IGA. BUT......when we approached Brookville she changed her mind so I headed to WA instead.

Just as I reached 503 north of WA she asked if I would take her to Eaton to Marsh's IGA instead. So...on further west we headed and sure enough she and I did her shopping. I chuckled and pulled out my credit card to pay and she protested and I said...quiet it is the least my husband and I can do.

Put the groceries into the VUE and I was ready to pull out of the lot when Mother asked if I could swing by the state store, she needed some refreshments. Okay sure...no problem, heck I could use a bottle myself.

I pulled into the parking lot of the state store and made sure what she wanted, not one bottle mind you but two, one whiskey and one vodka. Again she handed me some money and I said...nope not taking your money.

Started to head back to WA but she wanted to swing through the cemetery and I said...no problem. Checked on the floral decorations on Father's and my Grandparents grave, and now her own.

Arrived back in WA, unloaded the VUE helped put her groceries away and we chatted a bit longer and then I had to head back home.

Yes I left the house at 8am and these trips, I usually arrived home between 4 and 5pm. A long day but days I never regretted, not a single one.

Just wish there were more...but I have the memories the stories and they are filled with laughter, never anything else for she was MY Mother and I shall miss her every day for the rest of my life.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TSS said:
I am also sorry for your loss, but she is with her Lord, and you will meet again.
Thank you and she is and we will meet again, I know it in my heart.

Crystalblue08 said:
Sail I'm so sorry for you loss. Losing someone close to you is never easy.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
Thank you as well, it is never easy and shouldn't be really, especially if you truly love them.

MRBUICK said:
Sailfish
Our prayers are with you and your family.

MRBUICK and family
Thanks MRBUICK...thank you so very much.

And thank you as well GoldEnclave.

I am just going to take everything a day at a time.

Have a great day I have a ton of things to get done and it won't happen if I sit around having fun here.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My husband, my best friend, my life.......

My world just got crazier.

My husband had a heart attack Wednesday afternoon. He had a blockage which they removed and inserted a large stint. He is resting comfortably at Miami Valley Hospital.

My neighbor and dearest friend drove me up to the hospital yesterday afternoon, I just didn't trust myself as I was shaking so very hard. So much has happened the past two weeks...I looked up and whispered "Mother don't you dare let them take him from me today". I guess she heard....I know she heard...and I do know my Mother she knocked on the door and said "leave him alone".

I received a phone call from the guys he works with on the base, they weren't sure if anyone had called me yet, no the hospital had not. Jeremy said that they had a couple guys on their way to the hospital to be there with me and that he would be there as well later. He said he had a lot of calls to make, letting others know.

I did finally receive a call from the hospital, about half way to the hospital.

You would not believe all the guys he works with who came to the hospital to see him and be with me. They wanted to make sure I was okay and wanted to make sure their best friend was doing okay. They offered to get me something to eat, drink anything I needed just let them know.

Amazing as to how they surrounded me with comfort, wanting to make sure that I knew if I needed anything...they would be there.

Once the procedure was finished the heart surgeon came out to talk to me and these guys, they stood up with me, beside me and behind me...making sure...making sure everything was okay.

One of them, Rob, stayed until I was ready to come home and he drove me home, as my friend had left earlier, she has a hard time being at hospitals as her husband died almost 2 years ago from a heart attack. I handed Rob the keys to my husbands skateboard and they will be bringing it home sometime around noon.

Yes all of these guys....were there for my husband and were there for me. When we were able to see my husband they came in with me and he looked and said "well hey do you know my wife?" All of us laughed because a couple of them had said to me earlier "so your the mystery wife". Yes I laughed and laughed and they also told me how much my husband talked of me and they said "you know he loves you so very much". I said I know....I do know and I love him so very much as well.

I was laughing as I was getting ready to leave the hospital last night. You would not believe but my husband wanted me to bring back his laptop and I looked at him and said "**** no you need your rest". He said "I am in the online trivia contest and if I don't sign in tonight I will be eliminated". Nope....not doing it there will be other trivia games. He frowned and I leaned over and said...get some rest please I will see you in the morning.

Then one of the guys standing there with me said he would bring his by and I just looked at him....then the guy said..."on second thought I don't want your wife coming after me". I just smiled....just smiled.

When Rob was driving me home still another guy from the lab on the base called him and Rob was telling him how my husband really wanted a laptop and proceeded to tell him that he offered to bring my husband's laptop up to him and he had second thoughts after I said "what?". I just laughed and laughed and laughed.

Yesterday I had former Marines, former Air Force, I think a former Navy and lots of current government guys there showing their support and care for my husband and for me.

I was laughing yesterday while waiting to get into see him. The reason was because the former Marine was sitting next to me and he asked how I liked being married to an "Ivy League college graduate". I chuckled. I said well you do know him don't you? So now tell me does he act like an Ivy League kind of guy? He said only in brain power. I chuckled and said yep he is one very very smart cookie.

They will be back at the hospital today enforce for my husband today and yes, to show support to me as well.

After all our men, and women, who have served and are serving and are working to keep us safe....they are "the best of the best".

All is quiet in the house this morning. It was strange I slept a long 6 hours. No alarm woke me up and Jake, Elwood and Miss Lady GaGa our Shelties, not a sound out of them all night.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
This morning we were so excited thinking that my husband would be able to come home from the hospital, at least that is what the rumor was this morning.

BUT...nope didn't happen. I guess his heart decided during the night to do a **** "bleep" and the nurses came into his room to see if he was okay.

The heart doctor/surgeon came in today around 11am and said...because of the "bleep" which can be expected after what he experience he has decided to keep him until Saturday.

BUT..again if his heart "bleeping..bleeps" during the night he won't be coming home then either.

The surgeon also explained as to exactly where the blockage was and that my husband was very very lucky to have had the quick excellent response from the Paramedics on the base and the quick response of the medic/ambulance.

I can't thank the surgeon enough because once my husband arrived at the hospital he was up and in the cardiac care/surgery ward and on the table within an hour of his heart attack on the base.

That "golden hour" the first 60 minutes with the quick response and such probably save a lot of permanent damage to his heart.

We won't know how much damage there actually is until they do an exam in 2-3 months out.

All I know is I want him home soon.

LOL I may joke and such about his traveling and then if he is home more than 3 weeks I will ask "when is your next trip". But all in all...I do miss him and this incident...gives it a whole different twist on things.

Keeping my fingers crossed and you bet lots of prayers (hey yea I do pray).

Also one of the guys from his office was in this afternoon and told him that they were receiving phone calls from all over the country asking this "we hear ---- had a heart attack how is he doing?". Yes calls from California, Nevada, New Mexico, Florida, Chicago, Boston, Omaha, Alexandria VA and of course DC (the strange shaped building). All wanting to send their wishes for a speedy recovery.

Yep...my husband is one of a kind and I sure as **** don't want to lose him.

Have a great evening I am out of here...it has been a long long three weeks and I mentioned somewhere that I hate hospitals...well I hate Wednesdays even more.

1 - 20 of 149 Posts
About this Discussion
148 Replies
12 Participants
sailfish
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing