EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

121 - 140 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Now you know why I was not happy with my 9X11 galley kitchen. ;D

The home I grew up in, that kitchen, definitely spoiled me with all the counter space and all the cabinets. I only wish my Father had been around when I remodeled my own kitchen last year.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
I had to send a couple photos of my husbands parents to his nephew this morning. Devin had asked if we had any photos of his grandparents and these are the 2 I could find.

1st one is the parents wedding. 2nd one is a family gathering with my husbands parents standing in the back row on the far right side.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
Mother passed June 2013 yet, I still miss her every day.

I snapped this photo Mothers day, 2012.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
OMG...TWENTY YEARS AGO TODAY!! Yep, today is our 20th anniversary. Here is a peek into what I looked like back then. LOL my hair is now red with blond hi-lights. But, I am still laughing each and every day.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Sailfish said:
OMG...TWENTY YEARS AGO TODAY!! Yep, today is our 20th anniversary. Here is a peek into what I looked like back then. LOL my hair is now red with blond hi-lights. But, I am still laughing each and every day.
Happy 20th Anniversary! :dancing:

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #127
This family memory today is of my half-brother Richard. He was my Father's son from his first marriage. Richard, or rather Dickie, was 17 years older than me. I remember bits and pieces of his visits when I was growing up. He died in a car accident when I was a freshman in high school.

He had been in the Army and this photo is the only one I have ever seen of him. It's tucked away with other family photos waiting for the time when I will sit down and put them into an album. Or rather more like it will be several albums. I know perhaps I should just scan them and keep on an external thumb drive. Yet, an album is something you can open up, look at each photo, run your fingers over the photo and remember....when.

Hope each of you have a wonderful and safe Memorial Day weekend.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
WOW....my husband has given me carte blanche to have a new wedding ring designed. I am totally flabbergasted. He said on our 20th anniversary that I had a choice.....ring this year, china next year. Or china this year and ring next year. Snickering the "china" is referring to remodeling the bathrooms.

I said "what the **** are you talking about"....

I have what I think is a pretty awesome ring, he and I picked it out when he asked me to marry him Christmas 1995.

He said that after 20 years, I could go out and either pick a new ring out or have one designed. Again I said "what the ****??"

So.....the last couple weeks I have worked with a designer and, with my husbands approval, have come up with what I consider the perfect design. He likes it and **** so do I. My BFF Grace and her better half were with me on this process. Her better half had one designed at the same jeweler I am using.

I am SHOCKED...I tell you...SHOCKED.

**** I landed one pretty totally awesome fella. LOL I said in the beginning we work because, we make each other laugh....and we do.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
It was 3 years ago yesterday when my husband had his heart attack.

A day doesn't go by that I don't think about that time. I remember when my neighbor was driving me to the hospital, after I received a call from his office, thinking....I don't think I could survive if he didn't.

My Mother had been buried exactly one week earlier. I actually said out loud "Mother, don't you dare let them take him from me".

I believe within my heart that she did and that HE listened.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
I sure hope that if I ever end up in a hospital that I look as good as he does here!! Good for him (and you!).

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
rockyp said:
I sure hope that if I ever end up in a hospital that I look as good as he does here!! Good for him (and you!).
He did and he still does. He was 57 then. Come to think of it, that was the age of my Father when he had his first heart attack. Strange how things pop to mind.

Thanks Rocky!!!

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
I spoke with my husband last night. He is in Nashua, NH for meetings this week. We were mainly talking about the phone call we received Friday from our family doctor's office.

The last 3 blood tests, which would be from the last 3 doctors appointments (we go every 3 months) has returned the result of....my husband's sugar levels are too **** high.

She said that he should start doing his own sugar test results multiple times a day and let her know the results of each day the following morning.

Sighhh....he said each test he has done while away, has not changed and his sugar level still remains too high. We have worked on changing how we eat, quantity of what we eat as well as adding lots of fresh veggies.

Over the years we knew that this may happen. His Mother died at a young age from complications due to Diabetes. His older brothers Bill and Mike did as well. Both were still in their 50's. The next one in line, Ed, is on an insulin pump. Then there is Tom, he is my age, we haven't heard from him lately to know if he has developed Diabetes. My husband is the youngest of the 5 boys......

As I said to him when we were ending our phone conversation, we will take this a day at a time, one step at a time.

Our next doctor's appointment is July 25th.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
My husband has been on a mission lately to track back both of our families as far as we can.

Mine, we can show where my ancestors on my grandmothers side (my Father's mother) arrived in the Carolinas between 1700-1720. Some of them settled in Virginia, Philadelphia and Lancaster, PA before heading west. My grandfather (my Father's dad) arrived in NYC between 1730-1750.Those who came in through NYC we can track to Lancaster, PA and again, they headed west.

Many of my ancestors fought in the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783). As well as the Civil War.

My husband's Father was adopted yet we have tracked his great-grandfather to where he fought in the American Civil War. We also have a medal of his great-grandfather's. We have had it fastened to a US flag displayed in a flag box along with medals belonging to his Father, who also served in the military.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Also, my husband was diagnosed with diabetes. He is taking a pill now, twice a day and checking his sugar levels as well.

Our next appointment with our family doctor is in 2 weeks. Hopefully he won't have to need a 2nd pill added for now.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Sailfish said:
My husband has been on a mission lately to track back both of our families as far as we can.

Mine, we can show where my ancestors on my grandmothers side (my Father's mother) arrived in the Carolinas between 1700-1720. Some of them settled in Virginia, Philadelphia and Lancaster, PA before heading west. My grandfather (my Father's dad) arrived in NYC between 1730-1750.Those who came in through NYC we can track to Lancaster, PA and again, they headed west.

Many of my ancestors fought in the American Revolutionary War (1775–1783). As well as the Civil War.

My husband's Father was adopted yet we have tracked his great-grandfather to where he fought in the American Civil War. We also have a medal of his great-grandfather's. We have had it fastened to a US flag displayed in a flag box along with medals belonging to his Father, who also served in the military.

That is very cool!

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
I am in shock....total shock and extreme sadness.

My cousin, okay she is my 2nd cousin, but she is one awesome cousin. Worked her butt off supporting her children.

Her son......only 17, died in a tragic car accident Monday night. The guy he was riding with ran a **** stop sign and the 1999 Pontiac sedan they were in, was hit broadside by a large pickup truck.

My cousin's son, he was the only one of three in the Pontiac wearing a seatbelt. The driver died on the way to the hospital. The guy in the backseat, has survived.

I just cannot imagine having a child die. Parents are not suppose to out live their children.

My husband and I are attending the funeral Saturday morning.......

The grief has overwhelmed me this week.....

http://www.whio.com/news/local/killed-randolph-county-ind-rollover-crash/3RvPGd5DTD0inwlPhOvUrN/

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
:mad: :(

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
My thoughts for today......

I am sitting out on the back deck, along with Joe, reflecting on our life. Feeling so blessed for where we are and, that we are together.

Four years ago today, my husband had a heart attack. My world was crashing down around both of us. It was also a week prior to this, I buried my Mother.

That day after receiving the phone call from one of the guys he works with on the base, I called a friend to come and drive me to Miami Valley Hospital. The drive was just a blur. The guys he works with, they came in to the waiting room, one by one, while he was having a stint put in. They sat with me, surrounding me, comforting me and they kept telling me what an amazing man he is. LOL, I told them, I already know that. They were there then and continued to stop into the hospital during the 5 days he was there.

Four years later, after the stint was inserted, he is doing great.

My friend who drove me, she left and Rob, an AF fella my husband works with stayed until I was ready to head home. He drove me home and made sure I was okay. The next day, Rob and another guy brought his little car home from the base.

We do still have issues with his heart, not from the heart attack though. For at least 10 years, a cardiologist has been keeping an eye on an aortic aneurysm. It has remained the same, just under the size they determine would be required for surgery. They are considering it has been there forever...and only came to light 10 years ago when he was experiencing chest pains.

I will say this, the day I received the phone call from the base, I thought the aneurysm had reared it's ugly head. It is the same thing which claimed John Ritter's life.... I was scared to death because, if they didn't get to it immediately......

We have fallen into a yearly routine of scans and tests of his heart, to see if the aneurysm has increased. If his stint is still doing what is suppose to do. If there are any blockages in his aorta's. So far, the heart is doing great.

Yes, it has been 4 years since that morning I was being driven to the hospital. I prayed to my Mother and said "don't you dare let them take him". She did and HE listened.

Yes, this is on my mind today as we sit on the back deck, enjoying this beautiful weather. Our crazy gang of 3 Shelties, laying on the deck, enjoying the weather as well.

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Tomorrow afternoon my husband has an appointment with his cardiologist. This will be a continuing thing, forever. It's the same test they have performed on him since his aortic aneurysm was detected several years ago, before his heart attack 4 years ago. I do not have to go along for this appointment. I am staying home with our crazy gang, sitting on the sofa in the lower level watching it get dark in the middle of the afternoon, solar eclipse.

Then on the 31st he has an appointment with his urologist. This appointment I will need to go along with him as he will be put under general anesthesia.

We had our family doctor's appointment last week and his sugar levels are spot on, no need in changing the medication he is currently taking. WOOHOO...on this!

121 - 140 of 149 Posts
About this Discussion
148 Replies
12 Participants
sailfish
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing