EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After three weeks of driving, here's my list.

The room! The primary reason we bought this car.

The room! Big enough to seat 5 adults and baby in comfort for many hours of driving.

The room! Enough room to make a minivan proud! [Which is what I think the Enclave is: a minivan for those of us that refuse to admit we are actually the minivan demographic.]

Quiet. Just the thing for long drives. It is so quiet that I have trouble judging my speed from the engine noise alone. [I can find a negative in anything!]

The performance doesn't suck. Faint praise? Not really. When we test drove the Enclave I think this was the first Buick I have driven in, umm, ever? When I thought of a 5000 lb Buick I thought a rolling and pitching land yacht fit for the geriatric crowd. [Sorry, that was not meant as an insult, that was my honest opinion of Buicks before I drove one. I was wrong.] The Enclave exceeded my expectations. I wanted acceptable acceleration and decent cornering in a smooth package. It delivers. My only wish would be for more torque at lower RPMs. [Once you grow accustomed to driving a car that reaches near-full torque at ~2000 RPMs, there's no going back.] It would avoid the car needing to downshift two gears to accelerate at highway speeds.

"SmartSlide" sliding seats. Slick slick slick. Although we end up not using them as much as expected and just walk between the two seats to the back. But they're still slick.

Articulating headlamps. I'm still bitter because this feature came out in the model year following our previous car, so I'm happy to have it in this one. If you live in a city you'll never appreciate this one because there are street lights everywhere, but for us out in the 'burbs it's nice for when the streetlights end.

Power tailgate. I love this one. I still smile every time it goes up and down on its own. I'm so easy to please!

The design of the steering wheel controls. The one set of controls Buick got right. Cruise control on the left, with small LED when it's powered on, and a big light on the dashboard when it's enabled, and nice +/- 1 MPH buttons. The volume controls on the back side is brilliant. It took a bit of getting used to, but now I think it's the perfect placement.

The storage areas. The glove compartment itself is almost big enough to seat another person!

Heated washer fluid. Rolled my eyes when I first heard of this one, how useless. I will admit I'm wrong. It's great when cleaning the window on cold days, something about the warm fluid makes it streak less (evaporate better?).

Power folding mirrors. Here's another one I rolled my eyes at. I thought maybe it's useful when I go to, say, Chicago and I'm worried about someone hitting my mirrors. But it turns out to be quite a useful feature when parked in my garage, by providing more room to walk around the car.

The extending sun visor. So simple. So low-tech. So wonderfully useful when driving west in the late afternoon!

The fact that the wiper fluid holds 1.5 gallons. Brilliant! Wiper fluid comes in 1 gallon containers, so this way I wait for the low fluid indicator to come on, buy a gallon, put the entire gallon in, toss the empty container, and don't need to worry about storing a half-empty container.

Comfortable front seats. I don't know why makes them any more comfortable than others, they don't look any better, but after a couple of hours of driving I'm still comfortable.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Those of us with pre-Enclave anxiety (a new DSM-IV diagnosis?) appreciate the positive posts. I keep thinking it's no big deal to wait for '09 if necessary- there will have to be improvements, right? Then, a positive post like this one keeps me encouraged. Thanks.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yeah, there can be improvements, but they would be minor. And there are threads covering them including the wish for a diesel option that would solve both the thirst and lack of enough low end torque.

I'd like to add that my favorite features are the DVD/Nav/Entertainment/XM system, the elegant ebony silk-sewn leather, the excellent ride/handling combination, the special quiet and ultramodern Michelin Latitude tires, the standard multi spoke 19" alloy wheels on the CXL, the fabulously elegant hidden hitch with its supporting accessories, and the overall styling. I love the transverse/compact engine layout as well as the way they finished it with its cover and neat wiring/tubing. The 110 volt outlet is a real plus. I also really like the extended warranty and that it is made in the USA by an American company that may have finally found its bearings (pun intended!).

I wish the heated washer fluid was a stand-alone option and agree with many of the critiques found in this forum.

TM

·
Registered
88 Posts
I just gave a long tirade of things I think Buick can do better so I thought it would be good to say something nice also!

jbradfor again has written an excellent post so I am glad he has joined the forum. We just got the car a week ago and took it on our first family trip and certainly the Quietness, ride, and comfort really stood out. :thumb:

We met another family there so at times we had 4 adults and 4 children with car seats with no complaints as to comfort or ability to fit.

Kids also really enjoy having their own radio.

Also like On-star and the easy access to real people. Nice features include the power lift gate, power folding side mirrors, remote car start, 115v plug. Ability to program so many things through DIC is nice. My wife and I also found the heated seats much more pleasant then on our Odyssey which just seem to make us hot.

Looking forward to my first use of the heated windshield wiper fluid!

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
That's a great review jbradfor. Thanks for posting. :clap:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had my Enclave for about four weeks now (2008)

I have everything, except the DVD, GPS (I have a Tom Tom GO) and folding mirrors.

The feature that I like, and one of the reasons that I bought the Enclave, is that it has seperate A/C and heating controls for the back. My hobby is show dogs (Chow Chows) and in the summer, I need them to be cool in the car. With my old car (Ford Explorer) I had to blast the A/C from the front in order to keep them comfortable (while I got frostbite!). Now I can set it A/C for them and for me and we'll all be comfortable.

I like the storage. There is a place I can put the cords for the GPS, iPOD and cell phone.

I LOVE the remote start up and the power gate. Helps when your hands are full. But I won't use the power gate when the dogs are in the back.

The entertainment system is great. I have had XM for several years and always wanted it incorporated into the entertainment system. I had an XM seperate radio in my old car that I had to run through the cassette player. The XM stations come in as clear as the radio stations and I can set up good mixture of stations on my favorites.

Not too sure about OnStar right now. I saw a bad accident on Christmas Eve and called OnStar to report it. They put me on hold for almost five minutes. I hope that is the exception and not the norm. I am investigating using my Verizon wireless with OnStar.

The rear park assist is great. Especially when one is parking in the city.

I am getting a sunroof installed later this month. I'll let you know how I like it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
dandemain said:
Not too sure about OnStar right now. I saw a bad accident on Christmas Eve and called OnStar to report it. They put me on hold for almost five minutes. I hope that is the exception and not the norm. I am investigating using my Verizon wireless with OnStar.
Was the accident in your Enclave? Or was this a different car? and YOU had to call onstar? All those commercials make it sound as if they automatically know (unless the airbags don't deploy?)

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
With all the negative pub lately (I am guilty with my tranny issues), I thought it would be good to revive this thread again as like many others, I still love most of this vehicle.

I think my favorite feature has to be features, I really like the comfort of the front seats, the leather is so soft (has silk in it) and I just feel like I am in an armchair in my living room, I also like the quiet cabin for sure, it is almost too quiet for when I hear a little wind noise from the drivers side window (cross wind) I am like..."hey what the heck is that". I also love the curve of the dash and how the metal trim blends with the wood, also love the real wood steering wheel. And finally the remote start that defrosts my windows and heats my seat. Oh also the power lift gate is great.

·
Registered
177 Posts
THERE'S SILK IN THE SEATS!?!?! How come I haven't heard this before? I've been gobbling up almost as much Enclave info as I can (since I don't have one) and I've never heard this. Wonder why Buick hasn't touted it either. Where in the seats is it?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
I read somewhere that they incorporated silk into the leather of the seats to make the leather softer. I had not heard that it was part of the sound deadening until that was mentioned by 2muchcoffee. I know the perforations in the leather was to absorb sound.

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
:love:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I won,t be getting my Enclave CXL until Febuary 16. But after reading about the favorite features of the Enclave ,my uncontrolable twitching has also seen a rise in uncontrolable salivating. I want my Enclave now. :blob:

·
Registered
17 Posts
My favorite Enclave feature is the great ride. It doesn't plow around corners like a luxury car but it doesn't beat me up like my Jeep. I love the way it handles. :thumb:

And I like everything else about it too. :)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Found a new one today.
If the fog lights are turned on, shutting off the engine turns off the fog lamps.
Enclave drivers will never be like BMW drivers ... driving around all the time with the fog lights on! :mad:

·
Registered
159 Posts
The best feature I found was the fact I could get all the good stuff I wanted without having to have the leather. Sorry I just don't like the leather interiors. I could get the CX and the fun stuff and save some money to spend on motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
JustDriftin said:
The best feature I found was the fact I could get all the good stuff I wanted without having to have the leather. Sorry I just don't like the leather interiors. I could get the CX and the fun stuff and save some money to spend on motorcycles.

:ditto:

Except for the part about motorcycles. I tend to go for handbags and shoes but to each their own. Now if we had cooled leather seats that would be a different story.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts