1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Regardless that we b!tch about cars today, the simple fact is that they are much more reliable and last much longer than cars used to, with way less "routine" maintenance than before. They are also much more complicated, and when an item breaks, especially an electronic item, they can be very expensive to fix. You have to take the bad with the good, depending on how you look at the situation.

Who among us would choose to go back to cars without electronic ignition and fuel injection for our daily driver? Who wants to go back to replacing tires every 10-15k miles (and that was for the good tires)? When was the last time you went out to your car when it was zero degrees or below and wondered if the car was going to start? Carbureted cars were much harder to start in very cold weather than fuel injected cars; you still have the potential for the battery to be the issue, but not the fuel delivery. Want to have to change points and condensor every 20k miles, and change plugs also? How about thinking that 100k miles was a lot of miles to put on a car (even in the 70's that was a lot of miles to have a car last)? Sorry, not me, TODAY is the good old days for cars.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
BadAV said:
Regardless that we b!tch about cars today, the simple fact is that they are much more reliable and last much longer than cars used to, with way less "routine" maintenance than before. They are also much more complicated, and when an item breaks, especially an electronic item, they can be very expensive to fix. You have to take the bad with the good, depending on how you look at the situation.

Who among us would choose to go back to cars without electronic ignition and fuel injection for our daily driver? Who wants to go back to replacing tires every 10-15k miles (and that was for the good tires)? When was the last time you went out to your car when it was zero degrees or below and wondered if the car was going to start? Carbureted cars were much harder to start in very cold weather than fuel injected cars; you still have the potential for the battery to be the issue, but not the fuel delivery. Want to have to change points and condensor every 20k miles, and change plugs also? How about thinking that 100k miles was a lot of miles to put on a car (even in the 70's that was a lot of miles to have a car last)? Sorry, not me, TODAY is the good old days for cars.
+1

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
+2 good response. LOL I remember changing the oil, filter and when needed the plugs on my 1968 Plymouth Fury III sport coupe. Yep I did....all by my lonesome.

2011 Enclave has 32,125 miles on it. Husbands Q50 has 2,976 having used it last weekend to drive to Chicago, Holland, Mi and back home.

I do not see trading in the Enclave for many many more years down the road. Husband's Q50, the same. And no additional warranty purchased because as my husband said, what are the chances you spend $3,000 (estimated cost) for the warranty and during that time the expense covered is only $3,000.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
sailfish
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing