EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My long wait is almost over, and I should have my Enclave on Saturday!

I've heard here and there that you shouldn't drive it over 55 mph for the first 500 miles (to break in the engine). Is this really true?

We're planning a road trip next weekend, and I don't want to drive that slow for 500 miles if it's not truly necessary.

Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
My Dad swears by that rule (he is still driving a 91 Roadmaster), and has never had trouble with his engines...also uses Mobile 1 oil, however I have heard that you should break it in like you intend to drive it. If you are a speeder then go as fast on the Highway as you would normally. So I am still on the fence about that one...... I do however believe in changing the oil after the first 500 miles!

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I actually read this section of the manual as we were getting passed mercilessly on the interstate. The 500 mile rule applies to AWD vehicles - not FWD.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
thats interesting axiama.... i wonder why only awd....

·
Registered
221 Posts
The key here is don't abuse it. Vary the speed, no jack rabbit starts, easy braking, no high RPM, etc. Just treat it gently and you'll be fine. Drive 80? Probably shouldn't do that for the first 200 miles or so and believe me those miles come quickly.

Highway driving like stated above is better than stop and go in traffic. That is not the varied speed the manual suggests, IMO.

BTW, is there any other oil besides Mobil 1?

I think the manual says "especially AWD", doesn't it?

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
thanks for the clarification gshields.... those points you made are exactly the way i drive.... so it all works for me.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I think that "requirement" or suggestion is more for the transfer cases in the AWD powertrain than for the engine itself. Varied speed is more important than maximum speed. IMO, 10 miles at 75mph is probably better than 400 at 65mph, if those 10 miles come in the middle of some slower driving. Bad stop and go probably isn't the best, but a mix of around town, countryside/suburban, and mild (~65-70mph) highway/freeway should be just fine.

·
Registered
184 Posts
That old advice about "breaking in" a new engine is just that -- old. Modern car engines are already "broken in" before they are installed in the car. A new car engine is ready for regular driving -- with the emphasis on "regular." Just use it, don't abuse it.

Big Larry
[/color] :cheers:

·
Registered
525 Posts
From Owners manual:

New Vehicle Break-In
Notice: Your vehicle does not need an
elaborate break-in. But it will perform better in
the long run if you follow these guidelines:
• If you have all-wheel drive, keep your
speed at 55 mph (88 km/h) or less for
the first 500 miles (805 km).
• Do not drive at any one constant speed,
fast or slow, for the first 500 miles
(805 km). Do not make full-throttle starts.
Avoid downshifting to brake, or slow,
the vehicle.
• Avoid making hard stops for the first
200 miles (322 km) or so. During this time
the new brake linings are not yet broken
in. Hard stops with new linings can
mean premature wear and earlier
replacement. Follow this breaking-in
guideline every time you get new brake
linings.
• Do not tow a trailer during break-in. See
Towing a Trailer on page 371 for the
trailer towing capabilities of your vehicle
and more information.
Following break-in, engine speed and load can
be gradually increased.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Big Larry said:
That old advice about "breaking in" a new engine is just that -- old. Modern car engines are already "broken in" before they are installed in the car. A new car engine is ready for regular driving -- with the emphasis on "regular." Just use it, don't abuse it.

Big Larry
[/color] :cheers:
If all else fails follow the instructions or if in doubt follow the instructions. Few people free lance with medication why do it with your means of treansportation at $40K.

500 miles at 50 MPH is 10 hrs of taking it easy not a price to pay for peace of mind.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Canuck said:
If all else fails follow the instructions or if in doubt follow the instructions. Few people free lance with medication why do it with your means of treansportation at $40K.

500 miles at 50 MPH is 10 hrs of taking it easy not a price to pay for peace of mind.
You know what they say about instructions: "Just another guys opinion" ;)
Seriously though those types of reccomendations have been in every new car manual that I have ever had (from Chevy to M-Benz). So, there must be at least some validity to it. :thumb:

·
Registered
40 Posts
So many opinions. My neighbour, many years ago, was an engineer for Ford. He always told people to take the car off the pot and drive it at high speed. He used to say something like the engine was "green" and they rev them very high at the factory so they need to do that again with the resistance of the wind and road to fully break them in. They also apparently need to "burn off" any additional "crap" etc from the manufacturing process. Who knows? I tend to agree with Big Larry. Don't abuse it but I am sure the first 100 major service issues will be equally split between the free-wheelers and the manual-followers. I just wish I had one to make that decision. :sleepy: Just here waiting...

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you guys don't want to break in your car, I can do it for you for free ;D. I'll put in for the gas and I'll even keep it clean. I'll return the vehicle after 500 miles. PM if interested. :drunk:

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Maybe that's why Buick ranked so high in JD powers initial quality rating. Traditional Buick purchasers would have no problem staying under 55 mph during the first 500 miles........or AFTER the first 500 miles for that matter :sleepy:

·
Registered
184 Posts
My Dad, a lifelong Buick owner, used to consider the "breaking-in" period to be the first 10,000 miles. And even after that I don't think I ever saw him drive over the posted speed limit. He's 91 now and still takes his Regal around the block now and then.

Big Larry[/color]
:beer:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I really did the 55 mph bit on our awd CXL crossing PA on I-80. It was...maddening but I did get 26 mpg. Now, with normal driving we consistently get ~22 mpg. I'm happy. Someone else mentioned it but, since we all paid $35-40K I was highly motivated to not screw anything up! ;D

Jay

·
Registered
525 Posts
Just wanted to mention that the engine parts are machined to very tight specs, and probably tested at high speeds on the test bench(dynomometer?), and we don't have to worry about the rings and valves seating. I think the break-in is for the transfer mechanisms in the AWD system. Lots of gears that need to mate properly. And as has been mentioned already, my Enclave isn't a 5 year old street rod I paid 1-2 thousand for, but an incredibly sophisticated piece of equipment I hope to drive for at least 10 years.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Involute tooth gears do have a wear in period as the roll pattern from one tooth to the next is established. No degree of fine machining can remove that. While we aren't talking about metal flakes getting into the transfer fluid or anything, I think the point is to allow those teeth to establish their roll patterns slowly and safely... once the plastic deformation and microabrasion of the tooth surfaces are complete it is safe to "use and abuse" the transfer.

·
Registered
577 Posts
osli said:
Involute tooth gears do have a wear in period as the roll pattern from one tooth to the next is established. No degree of fine machining can remove that. While we aren't talking about metal flakes getting into the transfer fluid or anything, I think the point is to allow those teeth to establish their roll patterns slowly and safely... once the plastic deformation and microabrasion of the tooth surfaces are complete it is safe to "use and abuse" the transfer.
I like the way you talk dirty

"deformation and microabrasion of the tooth surfaces are complete it is safe to "use and abuse" the transfer."

I also agree.... :cheers:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts