EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

First Dent

27K views 56 replies 32 participants last post by  GoldEnclave 
#1 ·
Some idiot slammed their red door into the rear passenger side quarter panel of the clave a few days ago and put a dent over the crease that runs around the wheel well. Just once I would like to catch someone doing that, there is no way it was accidental, people just don't care. My wife is taking better than me :angryfire: I think the dent can be reached through the wheel well, going to check on paintless dent repair. Thanks, needed to vent a little.

#27 ·
xrayman....I've installed one of those laser light things that works similar to the tennis ball method. It works pretty slick & is small & I think cost less than $20. When you drive in the motion turns it on & points to whatever area you want. I wait until the laser dot hits the analog clock on the dash & we're in perfect!.

:blob:

#28 ·
I use a 3Ft by 18" foam rubber pad that is centered on my back wall. I can see when the front touches.
Also my XM radio goes dead at about the right spot under the garage door telling also me when to stop. ( the garage door is metal)
I also removed two storage cabinets to make room in the front. The rear of the car is in 3Ft. from where the garage door is when closed.

#29 ·
firebird said:
xrayman....I've installed one of those laser light things that works similar to the tennis ball method. It works pretty slick & is small & I think cost less than $20. When you drive in the motion turns it on & points to whatever area you want. I wait until the laser dot hits the analog clock on the dash & we're in perfect!.

:blob:
Glad to hear it works as advertised. I have been fortunate that I have not needed any aides in my garage. When I built my house, I made the garage L O N G so I wouldn't run into issues like this. :thumb:

#30 ·
Only 600 miles in and I have my first scratches! I haven't even made a payment yet :( A large tarp type trhing was in the highway and with three lanes of heavy traffic I had no where to go. The lower plastic molding on the front bumper is all scraped up as well as the lower molding on the passenger side. I guess it was bound to happen but it still hurts....

#31 ·
Sad news boolie....sorry to hear that. :'( However, if it makes you feel better, the "cladding" parts should be relatively easy to replace and much better than had it scratched your paint. Did you report to your insurance? I would think comprehensive would cover it and the dealer's body shop could easily replace those pieces. I replaced a side molding around the wheel arch and lower passenger door on our Montana myself and it was fairly easy. Hope they are able to do the same for you, although....I know how you feel and nothing I have said will make it any better. Let us know when you get it back like new! :thumb:

#32 ·
Well, just to add a little more drama, last weekend went to the OU A&M game in Norman and as I (not my wife) ;D was exiting off of I-35 on a long circle ramp I shot out into what I thought was a merge lane and got slammed by a Dodge Neon in the driver side rear wheel. Got lucky and only scuffed the paint a little and scarred the wheel pretty bad, total damages = $1100. While getting the estimate done I asked my friend that works there about paintless dent repair for the door ding that started this thread and they just happened to have a guy there this week that does it, $75 minimum and you can't tell the dent was ever there, very impressed with his work.

#33 ·
I'm not excusing anyone but.... I have a 3 year old and a 4 year old. My wife is 7 months pregnant. I can remember a time when the 3 year old dented a vehicle next to us by grabbing the (Rendezvous) door to gain her balance after climbing out. We were very sorry it happened. I am waiting for my first dent on my Enclave. I am going to hate it when it happens too.

#35 ·
I remember my first dent on my Honda Accord. A box from my garage fell on my hood and left a good sized dent, but no creases. I called a bodyshop to do the dent removal on the hood and fix a couple on the rear door. While travelling at 60 mph, the right rear window exploded out of the car and millions of pieces of glass proceeded to cut/scratch the side of car and trunk. If my daughter would have been in the car, she would have been cut. Then I got caught in traffic, then it started to rain with my window out. I felt like Michael Douglas in Falling Down, I was mentally insane for about 30 minutes. The bodyshop did a terrible job painting half the right side of my car as the paint did not match and they tried to coverup a mistake they did with my car with some body filler (they denied it, though).

#37 ·
It's funny to see old threads brought up again, and see posters I've never heard of. Where are they all?

#38 ·
A few reasons, feel free to add more...............
Lost interest, never bought an Enclave, sold their Enclave, just shopping, lost their job, someone here on the forum annoyed them, died, moved to Mexico or China (like our jobs), got tired or bored (see Bored Games).

Some like me stay for the community, and for the chance to promote Buick and to offer assistance to Enclave owners & prospective Enclave owners.

#39 ·
Had mine a few months ago, shopping cart, windy day, no paint damage. I always park away from everyone to prevent damage. Bad thing is I only take the E out once every two weeks to go grocery shopping, safer in the garage. Took mine to Dent Dr. in Little Rock, perfect repair, didn't touch the paint. :)

#40 ·
I officially become an Enclave owner this week. I have been scouting around the website for several weeks to learn about the vehicle before purchasing.

#41 ·
would be nice if the height of the liftgate opening could be adjusted to prevent garage door contact. I think I heard the 2010 may have that feature, but for now I turn off the power lift at home and carry foam to put between the liftgate and the garage door when loading/unloading the hatch...

#42 ·
kidsenclave said:
It's funny to see old threads brought up again, and see posters I've never heard of. Where are they all?
I think that lots of people only visit the forum to get info on buying the car or to check in if they have a problem. If they haven't been here in a while it is probably a sign that all is well.

#43 ·
axiama said:
I think that lots of people only visit the forum to get info on buying the car or to check in if they have a problem. If they haven't been here in a while it is probably a sign that all is well.
Makes sense to me... :thumb:

#44 ·
Today is my 14th day of ownership. I came across this forum the day after purchase and was quite pleased to find such a resource. I expect to be a frequent visitor/contributor for quite some time...

#46 ·
rblt said:
would be nice if the height of the liftgate opening could be adjusted to prevent garage door contact. I think I heard the 2010 may have that feature, but for now I turn off the power lift at home and carry foam to put between the liftgate and the garage door when loading/unloading the hatch...
Ours clears by about two inches... The first time I activated the lift without thinking about clearance & watched like a stunned ox until it stopped just short of contact... :eek:

And welcome - the forum's a really great source of info concerning the 'Clave...

#47 ·
Welcome

The Enclave is much longer than our Rendezvous was so just to make sure my wife gets it in the right place I have a tennis ball on a string hung from the garage ceiling. When she pulls in correctly the tennis ball is centered on the steering wheel and when it touches the windshield the rear gate will open in the clear with the garage door up or down. So far so good.

#49 ·
rblt said:
We installed a thick layer of weather stripping at the point on the garage door there the liftgate hits. We still use the power feature but let our hand "slow it down" just as it touches the foam we installed. No problems at all since.

#50 ·
Good suggestions.

I can't pull any further into the garage as we wouldn't be able to open the upright freezer. I suggested replacing the upright freezer with a chest freezer that is not as deep from the wall, and doesn't require front access... but that suggestion didn't pass executive approval...

If I park at just the right point, the license plate light cover contacts the garage door frame - I thought a chrome aftermarket cover would be more resilient to contact - but the weatherstripping should suffice.

#51 ·
Unfortunately, I don't have that option. (The freezer is in the basement anyway)
My 1920's garage is soooo tight, I have only an inch to spare front and back.
My only option is to switch off the tailgate because it WILL it the garage door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.