EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to take my comforter into the laundromat b/c my son got sick. The detergent lid wasn't on correctly and spilled along the edge of the weather mats. It's concentrated so I didn't add water b/c I knew it would foam. I've tried wiping it up as much as possible but there is a demarcation line in the tan floor. Thankfully it is clear detergent and not blue. No one will notice but me but I know it will continue to get worse once dirt gets attracted to the detergent.

·
Registered
509 Posts
It's already just soap...so, really, you should just start with some water, a brush if needed, and rags and just get it foamed up and out of there. Otherwise, it isn't going to get better with time--and you'll still have detergent goop in the carpet.

That's a simple clean up job, if you just find some time, water, and towels/rags.

·
Registered
349 Posts
A spray/vacuum type of carpet cleaner will take it out. I have a Bissell with a small attachment for cars. It would take a while to get it all out due to the concentration but it should come out completely.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I asked a carpet cleaner (friend) and his concern about using water was that so much of the detergent spilled that it would just keep foaming b/c the water would activate it. I know atleast 1/4 of the Purex bottle spilled out so it was a large amount. I do have a carpet cleaning machine at home though so I am going to wait and see how it dries before I attempt to clean it and make a bigger mess.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Maybe if you wet it prior to just using the vacuum only portion of the carpet cleaner. The longer you wait, the worse it will be. This weekend I was cleaning up a laundry detergent spill in the garage. Not sure how long it was there but it was thick and tacky and the only way I could remove it was to pour water over it and let it sit for a while to soften it back up.

Unfortunately, it is probably now covering the floor pan as it would have seeped through the carpet and pad. I know it sounds extreme but I once removed the carpet in an old Cavalier (teenager) when I spilled a gallon of milk on the passenger floor. I knew it would never come up completely and it would STINK forever. I pulled the seats and pulled the carpet and hosed it off for about 30 minutes. It worked like a charm but it was a total PITA.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear you about the milk! I had a spill a few years ago when the gallon of milk from the store had a leak. I always make them bag the gallons now. I think I am going to take the easy way out on this one and let my husband clean it however he chooses. I was stuck cleaning baby vomit for two days so I guess its fair. ;D The weather mats did do a good job with the exception of the edge.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I don't get to let my husband do anything mechanical because I'm the husband that gets stuck with all that :drunk: Although, I would gladly work on my car all afternoon as opposed to ....say...shopping for clothes ;D I consider myself fortunate that my wife loves hardware stores and electronics. As for cars, she knows how to start, drive, and gas her up. The rest she knows I will take care of. I asked her if she was going to figure out where the jack was. She replied "Why, I'll just hit the blue button. And if that fails, I'll just call you to take care of it!". And I wouldn't have it any other way :cheers:

Good luck with the spill. I think you know you are better off getting as much of it out of there or you will have a permanent dark spot getting darker every year :sosad:

·
Registered
509 Posts
It is going to keep foaming, because it's concentrated soap, but just take the time and keep wetting-scrubbing-vacuuming until it's gone. Better sooner, rather than waiting for the soap--even clear--to start getting goopy where it spilled. It will only foam so much...so I wouldn't wait, once you have an hour or so (depending how big of an area) to go at it.

·
Registered
405 Posts
At least it smells good! ;D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts