EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, just curious when you peoples first changed your oil. Maybe I'm dumb, (okay no comments :eyebrow:), but I was just waiting for Halle to tell me. I figured the car tells you when you have low air pressure, tells you when there is ice on the road, tells you there's a Starbucks up ahead, it MUST tell you when to change the oil! true? I think some people have changed their oil early but not sure why. My oil life is around 50% right now according to DIC. I have around 2500 miles on her. Happy Friday! ;)

By the way I finally posted a picture of Halle, though I'm not happy with it, it is too small and I don't know how to make it bigger without having to click on it. Any tips would be appreciated. ... :p

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I think you'll find that all of our responses will be analogous to discussing politics or religion. I am not certain there is any correct answer to your question but I kind of come from the old school of change the oil sooner on a new engine. I personally would probably change it now, but other may rightfully disagree.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
zman said:
I think you'll find that all of our responses will be analogous to discussing politics or religion. I am not certain there is any correct answer to your question but I kind of come from the old school of change the oil sooner on a new engine. I personally would probably change it now, but other may rightfully disagree.
zman's right about expecting a myriad of responses. I'm of the school that likes to change the oil early the first couple of times. After that I use the oil life monitor since I strictly use synthetic oil.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I had it changed at 7,500 miles, even though the DIC showed 25% life left.
It is important to rotate the tires, so I had both done at the same time.
10.000 mi is too long w/o a tire rotation, and why bring the car in twice?

Ours is a lease, so as long as I have it serviced within the DIC advisory recommendations I'm covered. Incidentally, the engine used NO oil in 7,500 miles, even though it still had the factory oil.

One caveat: Most new engines have a specific oil to help the engine "wear in" properly. Changing oil too soon may actually hurt rather than help,

·
Registered
358 Posts
Why is there such a discrepancy in mileage versus remaining oil life? I just had my first oil change last week at 4500 miles and 58% DIC reported oil life remaining.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Enclavious said:
But why is Halle's Mom already at 50% at 2500 miles? Is her oil quality less and why?
Below is the explanation of how the oil life monitor works. This and other information relating to your oil can be found in your On-Star monthly vehicle diagnostics report.

The GM Oil Life System is not a mileage counter. It is actually a computer-based software algorithm that determines when to change oil based on engine operating conditions. There is no actual oil condition sensor. Rather, the computer continuously monitors engine-operating conditions to determine when to change oil. Over the years, millions of test miles have been accumulated to calibrate the system for a variety of vehicles. The system was first introduced in 1988 and is now on more than 10 million GM vehicles.

I changed my oil at just over 1,200 to Mobil 1 synthetic and will change it every 5,000. Overkill perhaps but just what I prefer to do.

·
Registered
360 Posts
2MuchCoffee said:
58% would represent 4200 miles "used" on the 10,000 basis, don't you think? That's about 6% error in the DIC - maybe not so significant. I also agree with post#4 above on the 7500 cycle likely being the best for oil and tires "rotation." :)
I believe that there is more to the calculation that just "miles used". I believe that it also takes into account driving cycles, how long they are, how cold it is outside, etc. If a person made only 60 mile trips, their oil life would be higher than someone who did the same number of miles, but made short 3 mile trips, which is harder on oil. :thumb:

With that said, I am not sure that they don't use the 7500 mile point as the final end point for an oil change. ???

·
Registered
525 Posts
Let's see...$40,000 vehicle...$25 oil change...get 'er done!

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
We've all been listening to the 3000 mile oil change interval mantra for so long we are afraid to extend it. GM's algorithm is based on many miles of driving in varied conditions, with oil sampling as the basis for the algorithm. As already stated, the algorithm is not based only on mileage. It takes your driving style into account; short, in-town trips will have the monitor signal a change much sooner than someone who strictly drives on the highway.

I've been one of the people who always said I'd rather change my oil at 3000 miles than risk excessive engine wear. I did a lot of research on the web, reading real-life oil monitored oil change intervals, and decided several years ago to just go with the oil life monitor change interval recommendation. Even Consumer Reports (and I'm not a big fan) has done oil life monitoring and says there's no reason to change conventional oil before 5000 miles.

I do my own oil & filter changes and use synthetic oil only; the way I look at it, I can do my own service with synthetic for about the same price as having someone else do it with conventional oil. Synthetic is proven to be much better than conventional oil so I figure I've got assurance that my oil is still good when the oil life monitor says it's time for a change.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
My 2 cents...........Use synthetic only (5-30W, unless steady below zero climates-then 0-30W) and change every 7-10,000 miles, after first change, at about 3,000 miles on the break-in oil. But here's the variable: as just stated, drivers driving frequent short trips, putting only about 5K miles a year on their Enclave, could take 2 years to reach 10K miles. Too long for an oil change!

Use your own judgment on types of driving you do. Taxi's in the city for instance(mostly Stop & Go) change their oil every 2500 miles! Freeway drivers could go the 10K miles and change it perhaps 2X a year.

In all cases, I would default to the once a year minimum, as factors such as condensation, acids from combustion and filter breakdown, warrant it.

My DIC readouts sometimes showed (on past GM's) oil life down to 25% , when I had Synthetic oil (DIC cannot adjust for it) and only 4K miles since last change. I waited another 2-3K miles and oil still looked good.

Draw your own conclusions, but get Synthetic for little extra MPG alone, and reap rewards of fewer needed service stops, with a happier engine. Just about pays for itself in gas savings. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I just switched to Mobil 1 on my recent oil change at about 9K miles. I think I will be cautious and change it again at about 5K miles regardless of what the DIC says, but this time I am finally going to use a lab to analyze the used oil to see what they say. I'll report back in, but it is obviously going to be awhile.

·
Premium Member
1,997 Posts
I just had my oil changed for the first time last weekend. I was at 7% oil life remaining and 6,175 miles. That's after 7 months of driving. I'll ditto those that said driving style is a factor. Most of my driving is stop and go - I rarely drive a full mile without coming to a complete stop.

·
Registered
721 Posts
What we recommend to our owners is first change at 3000 and then use the DIC after that. The original 3 month/3k interval was established way back in 1969; oil and engine technology have come a long way since then. GM tells us that when you see the "time to change..." warning, you still have a "2 tanks of gas or 1000 mile" fudge factor, too, so no need to cut a trip short if you want your service back home.

The bottom line is you will not have any warranty-related issues if you use the monitor. Most GM vehicles built since 1997 have had this technology, and they say that if every owner that had it used it, we could turn off the spigot from Venezuela for 5 months per year. That's a lot of oil!!

·
Registered
758 Posts
"Break-in oil" or "factory fill" may or may not be a special oil that is needed to properly seat the rings as well as break in all the other metal parts that rub against each other. There have been reports of people using synthetic right away and as a result not having optimal engine break-in later.

Current manufacturers DO specify different intervals for certain engines for the first oil change: for their recent diesel motors, VW has it at 5,000 miles the first two oil changes and then every 10,000 miles. So it does matter and the engine manufacturers usually do specify the interval.

I would keep the "factory fill" oil until the specific factory recommended interval in order for the engine to properly break in. Anything else is speculation. Leave the 3,000 mile interval for the history books.

TM

·
Registered
410 Posts
Tralfaz said:
The bottom line is you will not have any warranty-related issues if you use the monitor. Most GM vehicles built since 1997 have had this technology, and they say that if every owner that had it used it, we could turn off the spigot from Venezuela for 5 months per year. That's a lot of oil!!
Who is "they"?

I was doubtful, so I decided to spend all of 30 seconds on google to check this.

How much oil do get get from Venezuela? According to http://www.hindustantimes.com/Story...adline=Chavez+threatens+to+cut+US+oil+sales,m my first google hit, they export 1.3 M barrels per day, half of which goes to the USA. As I recall, there are 55 gallons per barrel. Doing the math,
1.3 M * 0.5 * 55 = 35.75 M gallons per day.
Approximating 30 days per month, in 5 months that's
( 35.75 M gallons per day ) * ( 30 days / month ) * ( 5 months) = 5.4 BILLION gallons.
At 5 quarts per oil change, and 4 quarts per gallon, that's
( 5.4 BILLION gallons ) * ( 4 quarts / gallon ) * ( 1 oil change / 5 quarts ) = 4.3 BILLION OIL CHANGES.

I think Hugo Chavez is about a big an idiot as they come, but we don't need to make up mock patriotic statements to support our views.

[I'm assuming this oil savings from using less oil for oil changes, not from better gas mileage or some other reason, and ignoring the petroleum used to refine it, transport it, etc.]

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
jbradfor said:
Who is "they"?

I was doubtful, so I decided to spend all of 30 seconds on google to check this.

How much oil do get get from Venezuela? According to http://www.hindustantimes.com/Story...adline=Chavez+threatens+to+cut+US+oil+sales,m my first google hit, they export 1.3 M barrels per day, half of which goes to the USA. As I recall, there are 55 gallons per barrel. Doing the math,
( 35.75 M gallons per day ) * ( 30 days / month ) * ( 5 months) = 5.4 BILLION gallons.
At 5 pints per oil change, and 8 pints per gallon, that's
( 5.4 BILLION gallons ) * ( 8 pints / gallon ) * ( 1 oil change / 5 pints ) = 8.6 BILLION OIL CHANGES.

I think Hugo Chavez is about a big an idiot as they come, but we don't need to make up mock patriotic statements to support our views.

[I'm assuming this oil savings from using less oil for oil changes, not from better gas mileage or some other reason, and ignoring the petroleum used to refine it, transport it, etc.]
A little too much time on your hands maybe??? ;D

·
Registered
214 Posts
jbradfor said:
At 5 quarts per oil change, and 4 quarts per gallon, that's
( 5.4 BILLION gallons ) * ( 4 quarts / gallon ) * ( 1 oil change / 5 quarts ) = 4.3 BILLION OIL CHANGES.
I thought I read somewhere that there is only 42 gals per barrel. Also that only 1% of refining results in lube oil.
If you assume that 75% of the lube oil is motor oil, then Chavez's USA export only accounts for a more reasonable ;D
24.5 million changes in the 5 month period.

Wayne

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
axiama said:
I just had my oil changed for the first time last weekend. I was at 7% oil life remaining and 6,175 miles. That's after 7 months of driving. I'll ditto those that said driving style is a factor. Most of my driving is stop and go - I rarely drive a full mile without coming to a complete stop.
Geeeeeeez Axiama, are you having any fun with that Enclave?? [/color] :angel:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Okay guys, a question for you...if we can make synthetic oil, why don't we make synthetic gasoline? [/color] :eyebrow:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts