EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm hoping to solve a mystery. My new-to-me '11 Enclave has a loud ticking noise that I thought was a valve. After watching a few YouTube videos I learned it could be the fuel purge valve making the noise and that turned out to be the correct diagnosis. It was easy to test the valve...when I pulled the wiring harness out the ticking noise stops immediately. When I reconnect power to the valve it starts back up again. I was relieved to discover it's not a loud engine valve. HOWEVER....the new fuel purge valve arrived today from Rockauto and I can't believe it....same noise is occurring with the brand new valve installed. This cannot be a normal ticking noise, right? It's too loud in my opinion. Maybe I received a bad replacement valve? Is there another issue I'm not considering? Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The purge valve is most likely an electro-mechanical valve that will make a noise when it is activated. That being said, your original valve and the replacement valve are both probably working correctly. If either one was faulty, it should set a related fault code and turn on your check engine light if it reoccurs. The ECU may have a control issue which also should set a fault code and or check engine light. If you don't have any fault codes, your vehicle probably doesn't have an issue and trying another valve won't help. If that's the case and the noise is bothering you, you might try to insulate the valve to lessen the noise. Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. It doesn't bother me as much now that I know what it is ;) Too bad I bought a new valve for nothing tho.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am guessing it may not be the purge valve. You may have found my video on replacing the valve. The valve is a small solenoid type valve. I disassembled the one I replaced. Did you put your hand on it and feel the click correspond to the noise? If you remove the valve but leave the electrical connector on and hold it, can you verify it is indeed the valve? I'm also a bit surprised at how much the valve is actuating. I have no proof one way or the other, but based on what the valve does and why it does it, I do not believe it should be actuating (opening) that often.

(
).

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Hello A York.
I was not aware that was your video.
Ive referenced it many times on the forums to help out members.

There are a a couple of videos out there showing how the valve sometimes does indeed made that loud tapping noise.
It should not be making that noise.
I would order another valve- different brand and all and see if the noise goes away.
If it continues- I would suspect maybe bad wiring or dirty contacts

Actually-- Go out and check the plug-- make sure the plugs contacts are corrosion free.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's definitely the fuel purge valve. I hadn't seen that video (thanks for posting @A York but saw another one on YouTube and verified it was the valve by pulling the electrical connector. Maybe I'll get another valve but for now at least I know it's not an engine valve which was my initial fear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts