EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got in from a NY >> Va road trip of 1100 miles total! We did 15 MPH around some deadly curves in the Blue Ridge Mountains, and some 100MPH shots on the W. Virginia highway! WOW! The Enclave rides/sounds the same at 25MPH and 100MPH !! Solid, steady and ample passing power. I will not be wanting a "re-flash" on the tranny,now! I learned the nuances of a 6-speed auto and I think Buick has it right! Any tampering would, I believe , cause the dreaded "hunting for a gear" reported in so many other 6/7 speed autos!! I love the manual shift feature!!

One anomaly to report............I checked day after arriving in VA and Dex cool canister was 1 full quart low! Had never looked at when I got, just 10 days ago , and I checked it "cold" , as required in manual! Delivered this way????
The 19" chrome wheels are unbelievable! Ride handling are fantastic! I compared to my friends 2007 Buick Ranier truck (like an Envoy) w/ 17" wheels/tires. BETTER!!!!

We're home now and no leaks at all. Will watch this situation.

Love our Enclave!!!!

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS..........Got an average of 23.8 MPG doing 70-80 MPH mostly, and some slow, uphill mountain curves and quick shots to 100, as mentioned previously!!!! WOW! :blob:

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Wow from me too!

I have taken mine on a few trips as well, have driven it over 2000 miles and yet to see the average going over 17mpg. I have reset the counter a few times as well just to ensure the average wont go over a long period. But still it stays mostly around 16.3 and 16.8mpg

Did you get a tranny software upgrade or you are happy with the Pre-August version? I will be surprised if you are with the old version.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Doesn't this seem like a huge difference? 16.8 vs 23.8

Seems like more than what could be explained by different driving styles.

Is the transmission software supposed to help fuel economy?

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
At 100MPH, I don't know how much different could the driving style would be. However, one thing I could think of is load, I had 4 and sometimes 5 adults in the vehicle and two kids, and the route was pretty much the same, up and down hill, with an average of 70/80 mph with some traffic bottlenecks as well.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
coop said:
At 100MPH, I don't know how much different could the driving style would be. However, one thing I could think of is load, I had 4 and sometimes 5 adults in the vehicle and two kids, and the route was pretty much the same, up and down hill, with an average of 70/80 mph with some traffic bottlenecks as well.
Coop, it's on the level!! I reset it coming and going and it was about the same! Only my wife and I in vehicle (total 275 lbs!) plus 75 lbs luggage. The 100MPH was for 30 secs max! (twice) My Average MPH was 63. This included mountain trails (10-35 MPH) and one bottleneck of maybe 20 minutes, plus the usual NY bridge slow downs (10-25 MPH) briefly. We travel off-hours only ;)

NO! Tranny is '08 original software and I'm inclined to keep it, right now. I'm very pleased and as a comparo: our previous whip was an '04 caddy SRX (500 lbs lighter!) but with a Northstar V-8 (320 HP) and a 5 speed auto! We did same trip twice with it , and numbers were about 18.5-20.5 MPG with similar driving miles. You seem way low? But extra weight does hurt......especially on quick starts!

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I would blame it on weight, I guess we had around 850lbs of people and cargo weight.

On my Pathfinder I reset the trip counter on each refill, and I only refill when the needle hits E. This evening I refueled the tank and put 15.22 Gallons while the trip counter read 288 miles, a rough 18.877 MPG and I drive that truck way too rough. I mostly drive it to work, about 32 miles each way, just myself in it and only hit traffic when crossing the bridge (leave early and return early). It's a 2001 model and EPA rating is 15 City and 19 Hwy, so 18.877 is as close as you can get to the sticker, one thing to remember these were the old EPA numbers, according to 2008 EPA rating these should be 14/17 C/H.

I guess my driving style on the Enclave is much more mature and well in control like an average "Buick driver", since it is new as well as I am driving with very precious stuff in the car seats.

I guess I need to borrow the Enclave from my wife for a week and do a trip counter test on the Enclave similar to the Pathfinder to get a true comparison.

·
Registered
577 Posts
a rough 18.877 MPG

I would hate to see if you were trying to be exact! :thumb:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Wow! Smokin SRX, I am impressed with the sound of your trip in your Enclave! It sounds like you had a blast! I am so jealous reading your posts, coop and Smokin, back and forth about your trips in your Enclaves, but I will have mine soon enough! And yours will be used...lol! :wine:

Carry on... :cheers:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I think zman has the best deal, he has been driving his '08 since Apr '07. I will it 18 months before I consider is used. Till December '08 it is NEW.

Thanks, it is one of the best vehicles i have ever owned and best for road trips.

Rosita I hope that you get at least a few months of ownership in your 2008 or else it will be old leaving the showroom in 2009 :p

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
coop said:
I think zman has the best deal..
Thanks, but I don't follow you. ???

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Well certainly it was way above your level :p >:D

But the point was that you will be driving an '08 (i.e, the current model) the longest, from April of 07 till December 08, before the car is considered last year's model, and therefore you get the most value out of it.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
coop said:
Well certainly it was way above your level :p >:D

But the point was that you will be driving an '08 (i.e, the current model) the longest, from April of 07 till December 08, before the car is considered last year's model, and therefore you get the most value out of it.
Got it. I thought you were talking price or something. Hey, it was early. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rosita2001 said:
Wow! Smokin SRX, I am impressed with the sound of your trip in your Enclave! It sounds like you had a blast! I am so jealous reading your posts, coop and Smokin, back and forth about your trips in your Enclaves, but I will have mine soon enough! And yours will be used...lol! :wine:

Carry on... :cheers:
Godspeed!! You will love it! And I can confirm what Coop said about weight/mileage ....it's a highway cruiser and a boulevard bruiser!! OK mileage around town (12-15) but incredible on Highway (19-26 !!!) I got 25.5 MPG 3X, (on the DIC) over a 7-10 mile trip @ 68MPH , with cruise control "ON", lite traffic,
80 degress F . I set DIC as I approached the ramp................coasting of course!!! ;)

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
coop said:
I would blame it on weight, I guess we had around 850lbs of people and cargo weight.

On my Pathfinder I reset the trip counter on each refill, and I only refill when the needle hits E. This evening I refueled the tank and put 15.22 Gallons while the trip counter read 288 miles, a rough 18.877 MPG and I drive that truck way too rough. I mostly drive it to work, about 32 miles each way, just myself in it and only hit traffic when crossing the bridge (leave early and return early). It's a 2001 model and EPA rating is 15 City and 19 Hwy, so 18.877 is as close as you can get to the sticker, one thing to remember these were the old EPA numbers, according to 2008 EPA rating these should be 14/17 C/H.

I guess my driving style on the Enclave is much more mature and well in control like an average "Buick driver", since it is new as well as I am driving with very precious stuff in the car seats.

I guess I need to borrow the Enclave from my wife for a week and do a trip counter test on the Enclave similar to the Pathfinder to get a true comparison.

ive been told that it is hard on the fuel pump and other stuff if you let the gas tank get below 1/4 of a tank, repeatedly.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Gmoney_2010 said:
ive been told that it is hard on the fuel pump and other stuff if you let the gas tank get below 1/4 of a tank, repeatedly.
Yes, it is, particularly if made a frequent practice. Of course, some are doing it to "test", but it's still not a good idea again and again.

Otherwise, some great highway driving reports AND mileage :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts