EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We went for our first long trip this weekend, about 700 miles round trip.  The car rode great.  When I left I only had 260 miles on it so had to drive 55 mph for the first 240 miles.  I have an AWD CXL.  I would like to report that on the way, which included up and over the catskills, driving 55, the DIC said I got 26.3 MPG.  when I filled it up, I calculated 25.8.  Very close.  On the way home, driving 68-70 with the cruise, the DIC said 23.8, and when I filled it I calculated 24.25.  the amount of gas used on the DIC said 13 and I put in 12.8.  Very impressive I think.  the people we were with loved it and we used it to travel around with all 6 of us in it.  They could not believe the mileage I got on the way down, one couple has a nissan SUV and got 16 on the same trip.  Two big guys in the third row still felt cramped, people in the second row could not believe how comfortable the captain chairs were and commented on the soft leather.

Enclave envy:  When I parked in Cape May, NJ, I was not away from the car for 30 seconds and a couple were looking at it including leaning in to look inside (slightly creepy).  When I came back there were 4 people doing the same thing.  Filling up with gas on the garden state parkway, the person next to me commented on the beautiful color and the truck (WDT) wanting to know what it was.  Lots of stares from passing cars.  Did not see a single one other than my own over the whole trip! 

Still think the trannie needs work, going from 2nd to 3rd is doggy and whenever it downshifts going uphill it still goes down two gears to fourth, revs at about 3 grand and immediately drops into 5th and 6th again.  Other than that, I was very impressed, drove quiet, smooth, etc.  What a treat to get better mph than the EPA estimates

·
Premium Member
7,065 Posts
bsox,
I am glad to hear that you had a great trip.
As I said in the thread I started......"ENCLAVE ENVY" says it all. 8)

·
Registered
525 Posts
"Enclave envy: When I parked in Cape May, NJ, I was not away from the car for 30 seconds and a couple were looking at it including leaning in to look inside (slightly creepy). When I came back there were 4 people doing the same thing."...bsox

I never walk away from any vehicle of mine without closing the windows and locking the doors!!! :eek:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
jacko said:
"Enclave envy: When I parked in Cape May, NJ, I was not away from the car for 30 seconds and a couple were looking at it including leaning in to look inside (slightly creepy). When I came back there were 4 people doing the same thing."...bsox

I never walk away from any vehicle of mine without closing the windows and locking the doors!!! :eek:
Yeah neither do I, I did not mean that. they had their hands up to the windows cupping out the sun so that they could look inside. I guess I was more trying to report on the MPG and performance and just added a little light hearted Enclave envy entry.

·
Registered
154 Posts
bsox said:
Still think the trannie needs work, going from 2nd to 3rd is doggy and whenever it downshifts going uphill it still goes down two gears to fourth, revs at about 3 grand and immediately drops into 5th and 6th again. Other than that, I was very impressed, drove quiet, smooth, etc. What a treat to get better mph than the EPA estimates
It's not downshifting from 6th to 4th....it's going to 5th but it's disengaging the lock-up torque converter to get the revs up higher thus releasing more power. I thought it was going to 4th also but confirmed from LKK2 (the GM transmission guy on this forum) that it's not 4th.

·
Registered
118 Posts
bsox said:
... revs at about 3 grand and immediately drops into 5th and 6th again.
I don't care for the 3,000 RPM surge either when it isn't really needed. Most highway hills are low grade affairs. What I have been doing while cruising the interstate is to set the transmission in L 6. Then as I begin to go up a hill that would normally cause a down shift, I manually shift to 5th before the Enclave shifts for itself. In doing this I avoid the torque converter unlock and RPM surge. I get a nice quick down shift to 5th gear and a smooth ride up the grade, shifting manually back to 6th at the top. If the hill is a long one, you also avoid a series of 6 to 5 to 6 to 5 to 6 to 5 to 6 shifts as you continue up the hill.

Granted this is a lot of fooling around to avoid a small torque converter unlock annoyance, but what else do I have to do anyway. May as well drive the Enclave myself.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Mapper said:
...What I have been doing while cruising the interstate is to set the transmission in L6 ... May as well drive the Enclave myself.
Don't have one yet, but from my understanding there is no downside to cruising at L6, since if you do nothing it acts the same as D. You just have the option of taking charge at any time. Of course, if you click down to L4, say, you have to remember to click back up to "overdrive" eventually for the sake of mileage, if nothing else. Am I correct in this?

·
Registered
118 Posts
PrairieWind said:
Don't have one yet, but from my understanding there is no downside to cruising at L6, since if you do nothing it acts the same as D. You just have the option of taking charge at any time. Of course, if you click down to L4, say, you have to remember to click back up to "overdrive" eventually for the sake of mileage, if nothing else. Am I correct in this?
I'm not a GM engineer, but that has been my observation. L6 engine and transmission operations are no different than D as far as I know. Perhaps lzwhb2 will follow up with the definitive answer. He is a GM insider.

But you are correct, forgetting to shift back up to 6th will get into your gas mileage. I have done that on occasion for a while after down shifting manually. One of the hazards of taking control.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
PrairieWind said:
It seems to rev exactly the same and downshift (to 5th I guess) the same. It does give you the option then to do as Mapper does with the manual downshift to 5th without unlocking the torque converter as explained very well by gavine. For those of you without hills around, this is likely a moot point, but as Mapper pointed out and as I noted on my trip through the Catskills, if you are on a long upgrade it will go from 6 to 5 to 6to 5 repeatedly and when it does this on its own, the rev to 3000 RPMs causes a significant surge forward to the point where after a few hills it is quite annoying. This can be avoided by doing it on your own as Mapper pointed out (and I did no my trip as well after a while), but that is also kind of annoying. Having said all of that, look at the mpg I got, I still can't believe that with the AWD as well as just how accurate the DIC computer was!!

·
Registered
86 Posts
L6 and D are equivalent.

With the latest trans cal, you shouldn't get that surge from a 6-5 shift. Maybe once in awhile, but far less than you did with the old cal.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lzwhb2 said:
L6 and D are equivalent.

With the latest trans cal, you shouldn't get that surge from a 6-5 shift.  Maybe once in awhile, but far less than you did with the old cal.
With this being the case, I would not have been able to take it with the old cal, this is annoying enough.  Mine was built in the first week of Sept. so I have been told it is the new calibration. Trust me, it is my only complaint with this vehicle.  I think the 275 horse power is enough, but I still think this problem can be fixed more.  But, again, I don't want to lose the mpg as this is great for this large of vehicle. It does go from 6 to 5 immediately revving to 3000 rpm and then within a second or two drops to 2500 or so and then depending on the hill drops to the cruising rpm again a few seconds later. This process is repeated until the hill is crested. On a long hill I have cycled through this 3-4 times which does not make for a smooth ride.

·
Registered
86 Posts
bsox said:
With this being the case, I would not have been able to take it with the old cal, this is annoying enough. Mine was built in the first week of Sept. so I have been told it is the new calibration. Trust me, it is my only complaint with this vehicle. I think the 275 horse power is enough, but I still think this problem can be fixed more. But, again, I don't want to lose the mpg as this is great for this large of vehicle. It does go from 6 to 5 immediately revving to 3000 rpm and then within a second or two drops to 2500 or so and then depending on the hill drops to the cruising rpm again a few seconds later. This process is repeated until the hill is crested. On a long hill I have cycled through this 3-4 times which does not make for a smooth ride.
The problem is the amount of times it does this? That was changed in the latest cal on purpose because of people complaining that it stayed in 5th gear too long. It shouldn't do this anymore, but the result is that maybe it shifts a little more often now.

What do you want? It not to shift at all or it to shift once and stay in 5th gear? It's one of those things where you can't satisfy everyone. Having to shift out of 6th gear relates to physics, but what it does once in 5th gear is calibratable. What it does now is based on feedback from 2007 owners.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lzwhb2 said:
The problem is the amount of times it does this? That was changed in the latest cal on purpose because of people complaining that it stayed in 5th gear too long. It shouldn't do this anymore, but the result is that maybe it shifts a little more often now.

What do you want? It not to shift at all or it to shift once and stay in 5th gear? It's one of those things where you can't satisfy everyone. Having to shift out of 6th gear relates to physics, but what it does once in 5th gear is calibratable. What it does now is based on feedback from 2007 owners.
Perfect, that is what I am talking about. You certainly can't please everyone no matter how hard you try. In my own opinion what I would like to see would be the dowshift into 5th and then once the torque converter unlocks and it drops to the 2500 RPM or so (I hope I am stating this correctly), would be to have it remain in 5th longer so that it didn't drop so quickly into 6th again (which again takes place in 2-3 seconds) because invariably it will then recycle through the process again if the incline is long enough or steep enough. I don't know if that is programmable or not. In this way, you would avoid the abrupt switch from the cruising RPM of 1600-1800 (65 mph to 70 mph) to 3000 as often. When I use it "manually" this is what you can make it do for the most part. I love the crusining RPM of 1600-1800, it is sooo smooth and on flat and only slight inclines it is great. Hilly terrain is not a pleasant ride at this time.

I thank you for your knowledge and time withthis issue.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I understand. It's one of those things that on the whole is better, but you just happen to find a particular hill that shows the consequence of making it better in the majority of other hills. What you've found should be the exception rather than the norm, but if you drive that road all the time, I could see it bothersome.

It used to be skewed a bit for the hill you are talking about, but then many people complained that it stayed in 5th too long.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
BSOX, got your question and with the new Tranny re-flash just finished yesterday, I haven't tried a real hill yet! Give me a day or two and I will be on a long, semi- decent upgrade. I'll report. But for now ....no. Haven't had passing gear issues at all! Can I assume the cruise was on?? Please let me know or I'll try both ways!

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Smokin SRX said:
BSOX, got your question and with the new Tranny re-flash just finished yesterday, I haven't tried a real hill yet! Give me a day or two and I will be on a long, semi- decent upgrade. I'll report. But for now ....no. Haven't had passing gear issues at all! Can I assume the cruise was on?? Please let me know or I'll try both ways!
Thanks, The cruise was on, but it does the same thing if you are not in cruise and you are giving it more gas to keep your speed steady, ie. downshifts and revs the same way. Definitely will notice it with the cruise on. I don't know if there is anything to do about it according to Izwhb2 who really seemed to be on top of the changes. I would just be thankful to hear what you experience after definitely having the new software installed.

Thanks ahead of time. Bsox

·
Registered
12 Posts
bsox said:
We went for our first long trip this weekend, about 700 miles round trip. The car rode great. When I left I only had 260 miles on it so had to drive 55 mph for the first 240 miles.
For the first 500, I should stay below 55 when I get the vehicle. Why is that? I travel an interstate every day.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OptimusPrimer said:
For the first 500, I should stay below 55 when I get the vehicle. Why is that? I travel an interstate every day.
That is the suggested break in period for AWD vehicles only I believe. In years past they always wanted you to do this for the engine, but had gotten away from that. Now this is suggested in the manual for the AWD. You would have to check if this is still recommended for the FWD version if you have that. Oh yeah, by the way, it is not fun doing it the garden state parkway either which is what I had to do. :(

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just got back from a 588 mile trip from Twin City area to Duluth and Grand Marais. What a road car smooth and quiet. Set the cruise at 72 when on the freeway. Impressed with the accuracy of the computer so far.
Computer 23.6 mpg
Actual 23.5 mpg
Computer 24.9 gal. used
Actual 25.07 gal. used
I usually fill up at a quarter tank but wanted to see when the fuel warning light came on. Put on 19.7 gallons when I got home and the low fuel light still had not come on. Gas gauge was between empty and 1/8th. Guess I won't be running that low again.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jjnnjohns said:
Just got back from a 588 mile trip from Twin City area to Duluth and Grand Marais. What a road car smooth and quiet. Set the cruise at 72 when on the freeway. Impressed with the accuracy of the computer so far.
Computer 23.6 mpg
Actual 23.5 mpg
Computer 24.9 gal. used
Actual 25.07 gal. used
I usually fill up at a quarter tank but wanted to see when the fuel warning light came on. Put on 19.7 gallons when I got home and the low fuel light still had not come on. Gas gauge was between empty and 1/8th. Guess I won't be running that low again.
Cool, I live in update NY now, but grew up my whole life in Minnesota, have done that drive many times. The beautiful North Shore mixed with a beautiful car, it doesn't get much better than than. That is a pretty hilly drive too once you are North of Duluth. Impressive milelage. how were the downshifts for you going up the steeps? Do you have AWD or FWD?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts