EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got home form my first road trip in the Enclave. With 538 miles on the meter, I took a 12 hour round trip from Columbia, MD to Albany, NY. One the way up, I took the Jersey Turnpike over the GW Bridge in NYC and then continued North. One the way back, I took the Garden State Pkwy. Just breaking in the car, I didn't exceed 75 mph on the way up. One the way back, I was doing a lot of 80 - 85 mph. On the way up, I detoured through the heart of the Catskill Mountains to visit some family.

Between highway driving, city driving, hilly mountain region driving, and high-speed congested highway driving...the Enclave performed very well. There were a few moments when I wished the transmission responded a little more quickly, but I don't see what the fuss has been about. Once I had a "feel" for this bigger, longer vehicle (my previous car was a VW Passat) - the Enclave did everything I wanted it to do.

I am bit lead-footed, and I was leading the pack in the left lane for much of the trip. Visibility was excellent for switching in and out of lanes on the Jersey Turnpike and Garden State. On I-87 North there were long up hill stretches, and the Enclave performed well. At 5500 lbs, it isn't as nimble as my Passat, but I managed it well in congested traffic.

Normally I hate taking the long drive to Upstate, NY. It is a completely different experience in a luxury car. Smooth, quiet(er), and lot of conveniences. I have not figured out how to reset the MPG meter, so I don't know what my average MPG were for the trip. But I only re-fueled once each way. And I typically refuel at a about 8/8 of a tank.

I have seen some of knocks on the Enclave's transmission, etc. I think I understand what they are talking about. But it isn't a big deal or inconvenience to me. Being a first time SUV owner, I thought this stuff was par for the course when driving bigger vehicles. Anyway....

I absolutley love this car. So far it is doing Ok as my commuter car (only 20 minutes), and it is an excellent long distance cruiser.

Oh! I have nicknamed our Enclave, and it is "The Go!". We were imppressed by the "git up and go" for such a large vehicle with a 6 cyl. My wife thinks it is stupid...but it isn't her car. ;D

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Great review. It is simple to reset the DIC MPG, while it is displayed on the DIC just push the "check" button and it will reset. What were your revving at 80-85 mph. I don't drive that fast, it is possible that at that speed you are at a high enough rpm that you have more torque and would not see the downshifting as much. I have been on 87 a lot and going up the long gradual climbs, mine cycles a lot.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bsox said:
Great review. It is simple to reset the DIC MPG, while it is displayed on the DIC just push the "check" button and it will reset. What were your revving at 80-85 mph. I don't drive that fast, it is possible that at that speed you are at a high enough rpm that you have more torque and would not see the downshifting as much. I have been on 87 a lot and going up the long gradual climbs, mine cycles a lot.
I don't recall revving that high to sustain the speed. There was some cycling, but I wasn't paying that much attention on sustained climbs. I paid attention more so with the quick accelerations (merging, passing, etc). One thing I did notice: The engine is quiet.

·
Registered
154 Posts
bsox...it's still does the downshift when going 85mph. The RPM's are still very low even at 85 so it decides to downshift on hills. Personally, I think there's enough momentum when going 85 to take it up the hill without down-shifting but the cruise control is very anxious to maintain the set speed so as soon as you get to 84.5 mph, it seems to floor it in order to get back to 85 and then, once it up-shifts to 6th gear again and the speed drops to 84.5, it panics once again. I'm starting to think the cruise control is more to blame for the cycling than the transmission. I had mentioned before that I'd rather lose a couple of miles per hour on a hill rather than downshifting so quickly. I manually decelerate the cruise when going-up a hill.

None of this means the transmission is okay as is....it still needs a "sport" mode so that it doesn't shift so early around town.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
gavine said:
bsox...it's still does the downshift when going 85mph. The RPM's are still very low even at 85 so it decides to downshift on hills. Personally, I think there's enough momentum when going 85 to take it up the hill without down-shifting but the cruise control is very anxious to maintain the set speed so as soon as you get to 84.5 mph, it seems to floor it in order to get back to 85 and then, once it up-shifts to 6th gear again and the speed drops to 84.5, it panics once again. I'm starting to think the cruise control is more to blame for the cycling than the transmission. I had mentioned before that I'd rather lose a couple of miles per hour on a hill rather than downshifting so quickly. I manually decelerate the cruise when going-up a hill.

None of this means the transmission is okay as is....it still needs a "sport" mode so that it doesn't shift so early around town.
Good points. I just thought at higher rpms there would be more torque to explain why he did not have as many problems, I think it was cycling, but as he said he was not paying attention. I have not cruised at 85 so was not sure if it revved high enough for my theory to be correct, but as you say, no it is not and I believe you.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bsox said:
Good points. I just thought at higher rpms there would be more torque to explain why he did not have as many problems, I think it was cycling, but as he said he was not paying attention. I have not cruised at 85 so was not sure if it revved high enough for my theory to be correct, but as you say, no it is not and I believe you.
Also I am a first time SUV owner. The Enclave is the only SUV I have driven extensively. Whether the Enclave is cycling or not, it just hasn't been an inconvenience to me yet. When I want to get up to 85, I just push down on the accelerator - I rarely use cruise control (I like being in control), but that could change now that I have the Enclave.

I will start payng a little more attention to the Enclave's rpms. After owning a VW that has had so many problems for so long, I am stil conditioned to looking at the temp gage and warning lights. :) That thing would crap out on me at any moment.

·
Registered
24 Posts
We returned recently from our 6 weeks in Destin FL. Left January 29 planning on making it through northern Iowa before the forecast blizzard came through. Got as far as Albert Lea MN and ran into complete whiteout blizzard conditions. Pulled into Comfort Inn at 10:00AM. Heard later that 35 W was closed in northern Iowa. Next morning I used the remote start from our second floor room. It was 17 below and 34 below wind chill. I was happy to see the lights come on after it started. Put on about 3350 miles total. Saw 3 Enclaves on the way down and 2 on the way back. However there were too many to count when we got to Destin. Some were local, but most were snowirds like us from as far north as Ontario and west to Wyoming. Guess we old f**ts still like our Buicks. This is my wife's car so don't drive it that often. Did notice wind noise at highway speeds coming from upper rear driver's door, but not as noticeable from passenger door. Our Enclave was built the end of August so has the latest tranny reflash. On slight freeway grades as everyone here knows it shifts from 6th lockup to 5th no lockup and almost immediately shifts into 5th lockup. I think it would be better and more fuel efficent if the tranny were programed to shift from 6th lockup to 5th lockup and then if necessary shift into 5th no lockup. I set the cruise at 70 - 73. Best mileage was about 23mpg. Here is something that I haven't seen mentioned. On several occassions my wife has said when she takes her foot off the accelerator when coming to a red light the engine keeps pulling at the same speed usually between 35 and 45 mph. I told her about GM trannys going into free wheeling and do not brake the car like her previous Maxima. She understands that. Yesterday it happened again when I (for the first time) was with her when it happened. You need to step on the brake to disengage the engine.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
"Our Enclave was built the end of August so has the latest tranny reflash."

Dont bank on it, mine was built in August of 07 also and even though the vehicle inventory sheet stated it had the latest tranny flash, it didn't. I t was run through the scan tool at the dealership on my first oil change and it showed it wasn't the updated version......just some food for thought when you take it in to be serviced. It is funny it seems the 08/07 builds tend to have the driver side air noise more than other builds. I had to get mine fixed it was so annoying.....

·
Registered
333 Posts
Just got back from a Philly to Lake Placid hockey weekend, son's team won silver after being beaten in the Gold Medal game in OT :-[..great weekend though.
Since we didn't have winter in Philly this year I really got to use all the cold weather "stuff". It never got above 20F for 4 days, 0 at night and snowed for 2 1/2 days. The E performed great, 80 MPH cruise both ways, 19.8 MPG, not bad. Used the remote start everyday from the hotel room then the heated washer fluid. Shuttled people to and from the rink in the early AM since the minivans couldn't climb the steep snow-covered hill to the hotel. Watched the car in front of me slide all the way down that hill bouncing off of both curbs then sliding onto a busy street, no-one hit him thankfully, the E didn't even slip, very nice!! Lots of minivan folks introduced to the clave and impressed!

Found that the weathertech front mats and the husky rears really do hold a gallon of water/melted snow. Had issues with ice on the headlight housings and rear back-up sensors, hopefully headlight washers will be added in later model years. Still not really satisfied with the way the weathertechs fit in front, they stick-up on the edge near the door which doesn't look great and catches my foot...MacNeil replaced my first set, still fits almost as bad.
The vehicle itself, awesome for snow/cold! :thumb:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Still not really satisfied with the way the weathertechs fit in front, they stick-up on the edge near the door which doesn't look great and catches my foot...MacNeil replaced my first set, still fits almost as bad.
"Weathertechs?" ???

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
lingohocken said:
"Weathertechs?" ???
Winter floor mats (company name is weathertech)

·
Registered
333 Posts
lingohocken said:
"Weathertechs?" ???
Sorry for talking in "code" here is the web-site:

http://www.weathertech.com/

Much has been written here about all-weather mats on this forum.

We are in Bucks too, Holland/Newtown area, see ya on the road!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great Road Trip!! My dad has been lovin it and He is a Foreign Car Guy.

I applaud GM for bringing out this design which will meet the needs of many. The Enclave is stylish. Fit and finish look good. It's got room. It handles well as well.I absolutely love analog clocks in cars.

Looking foward to a more fuel efficient model in the future!

Check out http://www.buyingadvice.com for more reviews!

Attachments

·
Registered
314 Posts
We are in Bucks too, Holland/Newtown area, see ya on the road!
John, Our township is next to Newtown, so maybe we'll spot your baby around the Acme or Genuardi's lots. We're likely to get an early 2009, although my wife grumbles about the size as compared to her current Grand Cherokee. You must be darned near the only Enclave owner hereabouts, because when I'm considering a new car I look for owners in parking lots to query them about how they feel, an unscientific approach that in the past has proven very useful. But I haven't seen a single Enclave hereabouts -- not once!

·
Registered
314 Posts
But I haven't seen a single Enclave hereabouts -- not once!
Go figure. Today, while having supper at Ted's Montana Grill, we saw not one but two Enclaves -- a parked silver and a brown whooshing by (drool). Counting the weeks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Southside - I'm from Columbia, Md too. Am awaiting my FWD WDT Enclave. It is supposed to be ready around mid-April. I"m so happy you had a good experience with your roadtrip. I often drive to the Hudson Valley area and am very familiar with I-87, NJT and Garden State.

I am going from a mini-van to the Enclave, from a string of foreign cars (with which I was mostly very happy) to my first American car in years. Hoping it will be a good experience. Haven't seen too many Enclaves around our area. Continued good luck with yours.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts