EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Enclave Premium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, new here. My wife and I have had a 2016 Enclave Premium for a little under a year now, and we love it. It is our first 'big' car (I know, for some families this is their 'small' car!), the other being. We recently purchased a 21ft single axle travel trailer, and this weekend was the first time I have towed it with our vehicle (brought it home from the dealer with family members truck do to scheduling issues). Our trip was about 2.5 hours of mainly interstate travel on I-90 in WI/MN. Being this the first time towing it, I want to compare my findings with others who are more familiar with towing with the Enclave.

Camper was pretty much empty (not stocked up yet for trips) besides power cords, fresh water hoses, etc. Tanks were also dry. I was the only person in the vehicle for the trip. Used Towing mode. Trailer dry weight from factory is about 2800#, but for argument sake let's say it currently sits at 3000#. Averaged about 11.5 mpg cruising at 65mph on somewhat rolling interstate roads. The engine would sit at 3k rpm most of the time, sometimes shifting up when going down hills or on flat sections, then sitting at around 2k rpm. I always seemed to be in control of the car, but you could tell the trailer was back there if there was a sudden cross wind.

How does this compare to your findings -- those of you who have towed more with the enclave/other vehicles in the family? Thanks in advance!

·
Administrator
767 Posts
Pretty similar towing my 4k boat/trailer. We also stick to a max of around 65 because after that it feels like we're working the Enclave too hard. Generally I switch to manual mode to lock the trans out of top gear because even with tow haul it will try to shift up to 6th on a downhill but can't hold 6th. I'll also manually drop to 4th when hills are coming up instead of letting the speed fall before the computer realizes it can't hold 65 up the hill in 5th with the cruise control on, then it has to work harder to get back those 3-4mph it lost before it shifted to 4th. By manually flipping it to 4th before the hill it just holds 65 nice and smooth.

·
Registered
18 Posts
While I haven't done highway speeds with a trailer on my '22 Avenir, we did recently tow a 2k+ lb trailer across town. He said it did well at 45/50mph and handled winding roads well. He's not used to hauling a trailer around, so was glad he didn't have to get on a highway with it.

But as our kids have aged, we've been tight on space inside our Enclaves for long trips. So when we got our 2018 Premium we got the tow pkg so we could do the hitch attachment for a luggage rack. (We're short people and the roof top ones seemed like too much work.) It handles phenomenally with the added weight, and our mpg really doesn't change. 7 people ranging from 85lbs to 245lbs, plus accompanying luggage means the Enclave is definitely putting in some effort. We get about 25mpg from Southwest FL to middle of Illinois, mountains and all.

Tbh I'm not sure I'd tow more than that 2k+ trailer for any length of time. Just because I'm sure my husband would insist on a truck at that point. 🤦🏼‍♀️🙄😂
Plant Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Cloud

·
Registered
2016 Enclave Premium
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the insight. The goal of this vehicle was never to do any serious, frequent towing. Just taking the camper out a during the summer really. I think it will handle it fine as long as we stay up on the routine maintenance and what not.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts