EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was getting a P0023 code (2012 Enclave) engine was chugging slightly = Bank 2 exhaust camshaft position sensor on a 2012 enclave. Royal PITA. Bank 2 exhaust is located just to the left of the Oil fill cap (near top of engine). Unfortunately, it is hidden behind a ton of stuff that needs to be removed to get to it. Heres what it took: Detach negative battery cable from battery. Remove10mm holding ac line near top front. Remove (2) 10mm holding overflow tank (move aside). Remove Fusebox cover. Loosen (2) phillips 10mm bolts (holding fuse wire harness) inside fusebox. Remove (1) 13mm bolt connecting positive battery terminals to fusebox. Unclip and remove fusebox middle part (with fuses) removing wire harness from bottom. Unclip/remove fusebox bottom. Remove (3) 10mm fusebox aluminum baseplate. Unclip wire harnesses from baseplate. Remove front plastic cowling hiding radiator cap. Remove upper radiator hose (both ends) catching drips with bucket below. Remove (2) 15mm engine mount bolts (holding rubber figure 8 mount). Remove (2) 15mm engine mount bolts to completely remove mount part holding big side of figure 8 rubber mount. Slide rubber figure 8 mount out sideways. Remove 10mm ac line bolt down below rubber mount area. Remove (2) 18 mm bolts from part of mount that bolts directly to engine. Remove (1) 10mm camshaft position sensor bolt. Remove sensor. Detach sensor wire clip. Reverse to replace everything. Note: you might want to put a new radiator hose on while you have it off. Refill coolant. Lots of parts to remove - it wasn't that bad once I figured it all out but just a lot of little maneuvering to get such a small part out. I would give yourself 1.5 hours (or more) to remove and 1.5 hours to replace. This same/similar procedure can be used to get to the alternator on this car also.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope - Check Engine Light came back a day later - Argh... Still chugging a bit when running into overdrive gear.
So many little interrelated issues on this vehicle. Latest sequence was, car sounded like it was chugging/like muffler hole - CEL came on. Found exhaust flex joint near front (spring like mesh joint) was leaking exhaust. When I was driving to get flex joint replaced at muffler shop - got "service charging system" message on dash and battery died and couldn't restart (car has new battery which tests fine). Had flex joint replaced thinking CEL was due to maybe O2 was getting to nearby O2 sensor. Ended up having to replace alternator (major PITA job with lots of maneuvering and fit issues getting back in - note: later discovered after replacing alternator, Camshaft position sensor Bank 2 is above/sorta obscured by alternator/motor mount so hard to get to - lots of stuff to remove to get to as I indicated in above instructions). Replacing alternator seemed to fix the "service charging system issue" and battery charging seems fine. After all that I disconnected battery cable and cleared codes. P0023 (along with P2099 & P0430 ) came back. Car is running sorta rough when it goes into overdrive. Cleared codes again but fully expect code to return as engine is still vibrating/running rough in overdrive. Hope it's not the timing chain. Replaced Bank 2 lower O2 sensor and cleared codes but came back. Sort frustrated with this car at this point. I know my torque convertor is going because of trans shudder on light acceleration (I add shudder fix to trans every month or so to get by). GM crap IMO. Back to the drawing board to figure out what the issue is on this Enclave. Hesitant to take to dealer as I got taken for $1300 recently on my 2015 Jeep Cherokee when dealer replace ECM/PCM and problem was only a loose batter neg terminal. Maybe I need to start testing wires and connections for signal - wondering if watching live data feed on code reader would show me if sensor is getting/giving signal? Never used a code reader for live data diagnostics.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts