EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I flat tow my 2017 Enclave behind my motorhome, (all 4 wheels on the ground). The book says to remove the battery 1 fuse, plus the 2 fuses under the rear passenger floor in order to keep from discharging the battery while towing. It also says to run the vehicle for 5 minutes each morning and at each fuel stop. Sometimes this forces you to install and remove the fuses multiple times each day, sometimes in rain, snow, and darkness. So, I ran a heavy positive wire direct from my motorhome battery to the Enclave battery. This couples together in the round multipin trailer connector. I also have the Enclave tail lights wired directly to the motorhome tail light circuits through the same connector. So, this last trip, I decided to leave the fuses in place, while following all of the other directions. To my surprise, the Enclave battery was completely dead at the end of the first day. This doesn't seem possible to me. Either I am completely missing something, or there is something quirky about the Enclave that I am totally ignorant of. I am an electronics technician by trade, so I have a better than average understanding of vehicle wiring, which typically is fairly simple. Can any of you shed any light on this for me. I doubt that I'm the first person to tackle this. I tried contacting Buick, but they simply replied, "go by the book", which means that nobody was willing to look into it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just throwing this out there, might be completely in the dark but do you have a common ground between the motorhome and the enclave?
Might need a complete circuit not just the positive.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Did you bypass the battery saver circuit on the battery? The little pigtail that monitors the battery drain will block the vehicle circuit from power source if the computer senses extended drain on the battery.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts