EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife expressed one concern when we test drove the new E. Her complaint was that the brakes required a substantial amount of pedal effort to bring the E down from 40-50+ speeds to a stop. I convinced her that this was something that would improve as the new brakes bedded in over the first 200-300 miles. To no avail. She still wasn't happy at 500 miles. So I upgraded the pads to Hawk LTS pads for better initial bite and increased friction. I did this upgrade for her on her previous SUV and I think she got spoiled with the improved pedal feel.

So we now have, sitting in our garage, a set of OEM (Akebono right?) pads with less than 600 miles for somebody to use as a factory replacement. At least 300 of these miles were highway miles. Let me know if you're interested. My ebay rating (user: a-aranda) is almost 200 with 100% satisfaction.

These seem to be available on the internet for $90-$110 with varying shipping prices. I'll let these go for half retail ($50) and I'll split shipping costs with you for a grand total of $55.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
ttl35esq said:
My wife expressed one concern when we test drove the new E. Her complaint was that the brakes required a substantial amount of pedal effort to bring the E down from 40-50+ speeds to a stop. I convinced her that this was something that would improve as the new brakes bedded in over the first 200-300 miles. To no avail. She still wasn't happy at 500 miles. So I upgraded the pads to Hawk LTS pads for better initial bite and increased friction. I did this upgrade for her on her previous SUV and I think she got spoiled with the improved pedal feel.

So we now have, sitting in our garage, a set of OEM (Akebono right?) pads with less than 600 miles for somebody to use as a factory replacement. At least 300 of these miles were highway miles. Let me know if you're interested. My ebay rating (user: a-aranda) is almost 200 with 100% satisfaction.

These seem to be available on the internet for $90-$110 with varying shipping prices. I'll let these go for half retail ($50) and I'll split shipping costs with you for a grand total of $55.
I'll go on record stating this is a pretty good price for front brake linings, and YES, they're manufactured by Akebono, and are NAO (non-asbestos organic). Technically, they're truck brakes, and were designed to do many things well (which they do). Low dust, very low material compressibility, excellent stopping power, excellent high temperature resistance and noise abatement. The 'FF' classification comes in handy and helps significantly with brake fade in high temp situations (down hills with extended brake engagement). I believe the rear linings may have an even better rating of 'FG', but those are not being sold here.

If I didn't already have a set given to me by the head of engineering at Akebono, waiting to be put on and tested around the end of fall this year, I would have already snapped these up.

Just sayin'.

The Falcon has spoken. Do with it what you will.

·
Registered
4,433 Posts
Our cars use Japanese brake pads? Interesting. Because OEM for Nissan has just run away as far as pricing goes, I just put Akebonos all around, and as I expected, no squeals or groans. Quality Japanese pads and slightly less than the USA made OEMs (for Nissan).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sold to rbarrios. Thanks!

I'll get them out in the next day or two.

rbarrios said:
Ive PM'd you.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Well Done, rbarrios :thumb: :clap:

. . Falcon

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
hehe-- thanks.
Ill keep them in storage...
lets see how much longer my factory pads will go.. (at 47K currently).
These are my front pads at 40,600.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
rbarrios, Holy Crap!!!

You still had at least 7.5mm left on your front linings at 40K+ miles???!!! WOW!!! :blob:

The reason I know this is because the pressure plate thickness (where the lining is attached) is 6.4mm. You can easily see the pressure plate in both photos, and it is clearly smaller than the friction pad by at least 1mm. The front linings when new are 9.5mm

I have a bit of engineering knowledge, and I'm impressed by the small amount of material that you've used up from those pads in that amount of mileage. With that in mind, perhaps you weren't the best choice for acquiring those used brake pads after all. :banghead:

Based on a standard changeout schedule for your driving/braking-wear/mileage habits, so, on paper, that brings you to 131,950 miles before reaching the 3mm mark, and time to change out the linings.

Unfortunately, both sets will be WELL beyond their expiration dates by then. :happy:

;D

. . Falcon

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I may change out at 70-80,000....
Im just saying that because thats when I changed out my front pads on my 2003 Trailblazer I think at that time it still had 20% left.
which by the way- at 170,000 still has the factory rear pads...
I need to check them one of these days--- when i have time.

But I think that ill change these out- when I notice the wear indicator getting close to the rotor.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
rbarrios said:
I may change out at 70-80,000....
Im just saying that because thats when I changed out my front pads on my 2003 Trailblazer I think at that time it still had 20% left.
which by the way- at 170,000 still has the factory rear pads[/color]...I need to check them one of these days--- when i have time.

But I think that ill change these out- when I notice the wear indicator getting close to the rotor.
Of COURSE it does. :happy:

I already did the math on the Enclave, so you should be getting a bit less than 200K out of the rears. Both brake sets are technically truck brakes, although the Enclave's original spec for the NS265H had to be changed due to groaning during the NVH testing. That's when the friction formulation was altered, etc., and the NS308H was born for the OEM lining.

Then, the AS320H was made for the aftermarket lining set (ACT1169A).

These are all Akebono numbers and only front sets I'm refering to.

The Falcon has spoken. Do with it what you will.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
FalconEddy
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing