EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The awesome dealer who is doing so much for us that we finally decided to work with has asked us to consider trading our current vehicle immediately, so that they can offer their current trade-in estimate. He says they cannot guarantee in another 8 weeks (or however long it takes to get the ordered Enclave) that trade in will be the same. My current vehicle has 48,700 miles, and is approaching 50,000........I'm sure this has something to do with it. He suggests we look at a rental for the duration of time from ordering to receiving.

Wondering what anyone else in this position did?

SM

·
Registered
717 Posts
I would ask what factors would change the tradein - if he indicates that anything avoer 49900 would make a diff then I would ask him if you could keep the car and provided you get it to him with the miles under whatever he says then the trade would stay the same (obviously door ding/scratches would come into play)

that way you could hold off on a rental until the last min and who knows maybe you wont drive as much :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree with goochman. I ordered my Enclave on 1/7/08. The dealer gave me an appraisal of $2380 for my 97 grand prix gt. At the time of appraisal I had 179,000 miles. He said since it had so many miles on it, the price shouldn't change in the next 8-10wks. I told him that I will easily put on another 6,000 miles in that timeframe. He said that wouldnt be a problem. Good luck :)

·
Registered
349 Posts
Re: For those who had to wait........did you trade your former vehicle immediate

We ordered ours last July. When we got the trade-in price, it was up to 62K miles which gave us 2000 more miles. When the delays started to occur, we parked the Town & Country for the last six weeks. When we finally picked up the Enclave, the dealer told us all they had to do was re-work the trade. I asked why and he said because you went over the mileage. We showed him it was at 61,742 and it was end of discussion. They honored the original quote. Had we been over mileage, it would have been an opportunity for the dealer to drop the price on the trade

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have ordered 3 different GM cars and on each I was given a trade-in value that didn't change. The time for delivery isn't my problem, it is theirs. That being said, I'm sure they adjusted the price for what they thought it would be worth in 10 weeks.

·
Registered
405 Posts
When I ordered mine the dealer was very specific that the trade would be re-evaluated when the Enclave arrived. Since I trusted them and they were honest about everything else, I did not worry ...too much :). They never even looked at the car for re- appraisal, just checked the mileage. And the price I was given for the trade was at least $500 more than I was offered anywhere else.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Re: For those who had to wait........did you trade your former vehicle immediate

Yeah, I don't think they discounted ours either as they were $1000 higher on the trade than any of the 4 other dealers we visited. This particular Buick Dealer was 2K cheaper than any of the others AND he is taking good care of us after sale. I consider ourselves lucky! Unfortunately, that doesn't say much about the vast majority of my experiences with dealers :angryfire:

·
Registered
758 Posts
We have been able to sell our cars/SUV for more money than a trade by advertising in the local paper. I always negotiate a price without a trade, so that it doesn't get "built in" to the price of the car.

TM

·
Registered
484 Posts
This is the first time we haven't traded in a vehicle.

We have a son and daughter-in-law with 3 boys, 3 years and younger, and their Chevy pickup w/extra cab just wasn't big enough for them. We let them know early in 2007 that we would be buying a new car. They wanted to buy our Town and Country and suggested it before we expressed the desire to buy a new car, especially since it is such a good van with no problems.

So, we took a big hit on the price and practically gave it to them. That felt really good, especially knowing our grandsons were in a good car and their Mom had a nice car to drive around after climbing up into the pickup for several years, jostling the carseats around. She is a petite woman. My heroine!

Gramma (of 19)

·
Registered
349 Posts

Tin Man said:
We have been able to sell our cars/SUV for more money than a trade by advertising in the local paper. I always negotiate a price without a trade, so that it doesn't get "built in" to the price of the car.

TM
Agree. And if you are trading, that comes up after you have settled on price. Usually that's when they offer you next to nothing for your trade. I was happy to get better than blue book and not have to deal with selling it. Plus in ILL, you pay sales tax on the difference; new minus trade so if you can save 8.75% on $9K then it definitely makes it easy ;D

·
Registered
52 Posts

Our old vehicle, 1992 Chevy Caprice Classic has 116,000+ miles on it. Blue book value of about $1500. Rather than trade it in, we are donating it to our Border Patrol Explorer Post to sell at their rummage sale so that it gets them a few bux (hopefully) to use for a trip to national competition in Ft. Collins, CO in July.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Why not sell on your own?

I did and getting 30% more than what the dealer offered. :thumb:

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got the same company line, "we'll have to re-evaluate when the car comes in". I parked my car, took the train to work for 6 weeks, and added only 90 miles from order time to delivery time. Given that, they decided to honor the original quote.

·
Registered
159 Posts

I didn't have to wait long but, the best part was that the Buick dealer gave me $1500 more for my Altima than the GMC dealer would on an Arcadia.

Got the Enclavejavascript:void(0);
Bold for $1000 less than the Arcadia with same equipment.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
My dealer gave me a price on my trade-in when I ordered my Enclave. They said the price would be good until whenever my new vehicle came in. I know it was a little on the low side, but love my dealer and am always treated well, plus got a fair price on the Enclave, so it was good with me. I think when they do this they take into consideration that you're going to put a few miles on it. It's all what you are comfortable with.[/color]

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
My dealer gave me a trade in price, I asked specifically what would happen in 8-10 weeks (which turned out to be 14 weeks) with the trade in as I would be putting miles on it. He said we were fine unless I put another 5-6000 on it. When the time came, the trade in price was the trade in price. I would not do it any other way. I certainly would not pay for a rental car IMO.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I highly recommend NOT trading your car in. I never understand why people are so worried about the price they are paying for a new car, yet are not that worried about the price they are getting on their old car.

I was given the same line, price may change between now and delivery of your order, but more importantly the price for a trade in given by a dealer is always less than what you would get if selling on your own. And with the internet to use as a tool, selling on your own is easier than ever.

My situation...
Buick Dealer #1 offered $7000 for my VW Jetta. Buick Dealer #2 $7500, GMC Dealer $7500 and Saturn Dealer $8100. All well less than blue book, $10,000.
Placed an add in cars.com (links from a lot of the blue book sites), autotrader.com (big advertising on TV and your add gets placed in the publication you see in grocery stores & convenience stores) and my local craigslist.com. My investment was apprx. $100 total for the ads on cars and autotrader.
Received approximately 3-5 calls a week. Some serious, some not. Sold my car in a month for $10,000. So basically I made over $2000 since I was willing to deal with the 3-5 calls a week until it sold. So at about 20 hours of time invested I made $2000 - $3000. I think most of us would be willing to make $100 an hour if you put it that way.

Only catch is my car sold faster than my Enclave has arrived so I have had 1 car for the last 2 months. :) I occassionaly rent a car when needed but I still have over $2000 in extra cash due to not trading in and selling on my own.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, we thought about selling it outright, but my FIL explained the law in TN.........if we trade with the dealership, we are only taxed on the sales price of the new car MINUS the trade-in value. If we sell privately then bring the $$ in as a downpayment, we are taxed on the original sales price with no trade in. It might be a wash if we brought in a few thousand more, BUT, it might not be worth the extra hassle of selling ourselves. That's just our situation. Otherwise, if it weren't for the taxes, I would whole-heartedly agree!!

SM

·
Registered
758 Posts
soccermommyabc said:
Well, we thought about selling it outright, but my FIL explained the law in TN.........if we trade with the dealership, we are only taxed on the sales price of the new car MINUS the trade-in value. If we sell privately then bring the $$ in as a downpayment, we are taxed on the original sales price with no trade in. It might be a wash if we brought in a few thousand more, BUT, it might not be worth the extra hassle of selling ourselves. That's just our situation. Otherwise, if it weren't for the taxes, I would whole-heartedly agree!!

SM
I believe in Kentucky this is true only with used cars, not new ones because of the tax structure - vehicles are treated like houses. :(

TM

1 - 19 of 19 Posts