EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because Enclaveforum.net has been so helpful to me, I thought it might be useful to others to hear a few impressions/conclusions about comparisons between the Enclave and its competition. If this is too windy, skip it, and remember I'm not a car expert. I do lots of research on them before purchase, however. All comments welcome. Here goes:

Never having been to an auto show before, I was surprised by the fact that the models appeared to have as many hard miles on them as me. ;) Now on to a review of the cars.

Audi Q7 - I was very interested their touted diesel technology reportedly available before the end of 2008. However, a rep told me meeting emissions standards in all 50 states is taking more time than originally thought and it would likely be toward the end of the first quarter of 2009 before the "new" Q7 is in the U.S. As you all know, increasing gas prices is an issue for all of us. The durability of the engine, improved mileage, etc. are attractive; according to the rep, though, it will come with at least a $5000 price increase over the current Q7 with very few, if any, design changes. Overall impression: oppressive front end, nice profile, lack of height reduces cargo capacity. Nothing "exciting" about the interior and layout of controls. Quality of interior materials is good. Price of the diesel, according to the rep, will be $65,000-$70,000. Bang for the Buck Factor: Score Enclave 1, competitor 0.

Mercedes Mclass and GLclass - Interior quality is excellent on both vehicles. If memory serves, both have the annoying "grab bars" projecting from between the front seats to the dash. In my lottery winning dream, I thought the GL with suspension adjustments, etc. would be the one. Most accurate comparison would be MClass vs. Enclave, since the GL really can survive off-road. But, with 83.3 cu. ft. of cargo space behind the front seats in GL, 72.4 cu. ft. for the MClass, the Enclave is the clear winner. Additionally, the fit/finish of the Enclave in looking at the cargo floor when everything is folded down is actually better than the Mercedes vehicles. Reliability ratings of Mercedes is questionalbe in some quarters. Feature for feature, much more value in the Enclave (Mercedes $15-20K more for same). Visibility much better in the Mercedes cars, but design bling clearly goes to the Enclave. Since all are made in the U.S., which American made car to you want? Bang for the Buck Factor: Enclave 1, Mercedes M and G class 0.

Lexus RX - they have a hybrid, what's not to like? Beautiful interior materials that make you feel like you are in a luxury car. Nice front, atrocious rear (and I am talking about the car this time). Cargo capacity: 84.7 cu.ft., Buick wins. What's more important is the lack of headroom in all Toyota products with the exception of the Sequoia. If Lexus would recognize Americans as larger people, I'd be interested. At 6-2, 230, I'm not svelt, (okay, I'm working on it!), but I'm not exactly the largest man in America, either. Why should my greasy hair have to hit the headliner for that kind of money? Lexus, Toyota also bundle packages by region, so it's virtually impossible to get a car without a sunroof (with leaks or not). That extra 2 inches in headroom could make a difference. By the way, I can easily fit in the Enclave with or without the sunroof (mine sans sunroof, please). There is no comparison with the Enclave in terms of design (Lexus does beat out the other Lambdas, IMO). Dollar for dollar, feature for feature; Bang for the Buck Factor: Enclave 1, Lexus (any model) 0.

Volkswagon Tourareg - If I need to ford streams, sign me up. But, I don't any longer. It's really not the same kind of car as the Enclave. Still single and living in Colorado, I'd consider it, but inconvenient folding of seats for storage is annoying and would be a factor for me. I can't see this as a family mover. Lots of reliability questions. The design is fairly clean, IMO. I like clean lines and simplicity (in that regard, I wish the Buick portholes would disappear from the Enclave - it cobs up an otherwise interesting front). Good visibility for the Tourareg. Cargo volume for this car is a paultry 71.0 cu.ft., although is weighs an Enclave-comparable 5,086 pounds for the 6 cylinder, and a whopping 5,300 pounds for the V-8. Again, single, I'd consider driving it (no notification of that happening, so far). No doubts here; Bang for the Buck Factor: Enclave 1, VW 0.

Porche Cayenne - the Porche name and probable driving experience, but it's not apples to apples. Very expensive; big surprise. You know, when I looked at it, including the apparent build quality from a cursory examination, I didn't walk away (which I did fairly quickly) with a feeling of loss if I didn't have one. As with many of the others, poor cu.ft. capacity and nothing exceptional from what I could discern. Are we buying a name here or the real deal? Bang for the Buck Factor: Enclave 1, Cayenne 0.

Subaru: Great crash ratings and generally accepted as a good value. But small, and with the increasingly good reviews, the price seems to have jumped, as well. My wife wants to replace the van with something smaller after we get the larger family car like the Enclave, so we looked. Interestingly for those interested in the Enclave, the mileage on the Subarus isn't that good considering their size. Not really much of a comparison. Enclave wins.

Mitsubishi - they price them right to compete, but design seems lacking. No. Enclave clearly on top, even considering greater cost.

BMW X-5. I really wanted to like this car! You know, testosterone rush, reputation for driveability, etc., but there were serious quality control issues with this one. It was basically boring on the inside and the movable lashdown strips were a little weird. If it drives per reputation, great, but that isn't enough in a duel with the competition. Fit/finish were NOT good. Limited cargo capacity. With the exception of the classic BMW front, I can't go here. It's pricey. Surprised? Definite Bang for the Buck Factor: Enclave 1, BMW 0.

Suzuki XL7 - When this one came out, it received some good press. The problem in a nutshell is very, very poor quality of interior materials. Not even in the same league with many of the others. In brief, no.

Nissan Murano - a design update for '08, but still too "cute" somehow. When I first saw one a year or so ago, I was interested. However, even my very-interested-in-bling daughter says "no." Some like the transmission, but Enclave surpasses this one in design, storage and basically all other areas. Furturistic interior; guess I like bling, but in a more traditional presentation. Enclave 1, Murano 0.

Other Nissan and Infinity big boats - think mileage (see pump prices). And, as with Toyota, limited head space and the storage barely compares with the Buick. I won't review all models. Enclave wins on most points.

Infinity FX 35/45. Very sporty; love the design of exterior. Enough room for only a small suitcase behind the seats (yeah, I'm exaggerating, but not much). Cost, features, you know the drill: Enclave 1, FX 0.

Volvo XC-90 - before I discovered plans for the Enclave over a year ago, this was going to be the one for us. Interior quality of materials is excellent. This car feels more luxurious to us than any Mercedes or BMW. Volvo has always been a leader in safety features which are excellent in all areas of the XC-90. However, when I discovered the safety features of the Enclave were comparable, my head was turned toward the Buick. I wish the Volvo was a couple of inches wider -- the A pillars, if they are the front ones are too sloped, reducing visibility. It just feels a little cramped, especially in comparison to the Enclave. Also, there has been a documented serious reflection of the dash onto the sloping windshield becoming a safety issue (they changed lighter dash colors to darker to help reduce this). Like the split rear gate on the Volvo. Visibility is better than the Buick, but not perfect. The "black" bumper strips seem to oxidize quickly, even on newer models (I've watched them for a while). This was initially tough, but I think the Enclave outshines the Volvo. Price similarly equipped is about $10,000 more for the Volvo. Bang for the Buck Factor: Enclave 1, XC-90 0.

Mazda CX9 - Was really excited until I got in it. Of any new crossovers, this one has to be the most claustrophobic on the interior. The shift area leading into the center stack is absolutely oppressive and it flares out toward the dash, necessitating resting the right leg against it throughout the driving experience. There is absolutely no way to feel any spatiousness in this car! Imaging yourself on a long trip; in fact, sit in the thing for even 10 minutes and you'll be looking for the ejection seat. IMHO designers should be forced to sit in this car until the confining design forces them to beg for a straight jacket, since it has more room to move around. I don't need to say more here. My opinion: E 1, M 0.

Acura MDX - frequently compared to the Enclave. At least $10K more similarly equipped. Nice interior materials. The center stack is a joke. I was going to count the buttons, but forgot my calculator. We presbyopic elders would need quadro-focals to see the controls and there is no way to learn their position within a 5 year period - I could be in the home by then. If you're not supposed to use a cell phone while driving, you shouldn't be able to adjust the radio on this car for the same reason. As is well known, the front is not elegant. Difficulty folding the seats and what is worse, there is a permanent slope from the front to the back of the cargo area with the seats folded down. The effect is like driving up on some ramps so the cargo will roll out the back -- sorry, not practical and for those of us who actually load things like keyboard cases, it simply wouldn't work. The drive is supposed to be good, but I and others are looking for overall practical applications as well as driving experience. As architect genius Frank Lloyd Wright said, "Form follows function." Actually, the Enclave in many respects (rear vision) violates this principle. That being said, the MDX is a more egregious offender. Clearly, Bang for the Buck Factor: Enclave 1, MDX 0.

Honda Pilot - I really wanted to see the design revision to see if I could fit in the thing. I can't with the current version. Sadly, it wasn't there. With the noise problems in our Odyssey, we won't likely be considering the new Pilot. Many have criticized the design make over. For me, it at least has good vision in all quarters. Would like to see one, but hard to believe with quiet tuning the Pilot could compete with the Enclave.

Toyota Sequoia - the only Toyota I can fit in. Ho hum design. This thing is a real boat and if I recall the city estimated mpg is 13 city. See you at the pump. I like the interior of Toyotas; the materials are good and fit/finish the same. Towing cap. is huge, but not a factor for my 5x8 utility trailer. No bling. No bling. I'm getting older; I need some. Enclave 1, Sequoia 0.

Toyota Highlander - can barely fit. Still needs to be bigger. Good interior materials. Head hits the ceiling. Boring design. It will sell like hotcakes. Limited storage. The cute removable center console is NOT practical -- stows under center front console. I was hopeful on this one until I saw it. Like the Lexus, overall material quality beats the Enclave in many respects, but is the eventual loser. Bang for the Buck Factor: Enclave 1, Highlander 0.

Land Rover; LR2, LR3, Range Rover - How's your credit rating. Thought I heard Ford was trying to unload the company. From my Colorado days I always wondered what the attraction was and I know they are legendary off-roaders. But, some of the design features and unusual and some downright impractical. For example, on the LR2 I think, the door cup holders stick out so far that passengers rub their shoes on them getting in and out. The wear was easily seen on the show cars with all the traffic in and out of them. Even on the very expensive Range Rover, the window controls were positioned, almost as an afterthought on the top of the left door in a position difficult to reach. Did I win Powerball last night? If so, I'd consider a Range Rover or LR3 since I could start wearing a cowboy hat for the first time and get in without taking it off. They'd be great fording streams or surviving Armegeddon, but in my small midwest community, this is not necessary. I guess I just don't get the attraction, but I do live in flyover country... Cost, style, value; Bang for the Buck Factor: Enclave 1, all Land Rovers 0.

Chrysler/Dodge products - no serious review here. I want you all to do one thing only: Open and close the rear door on an Enclave and any Dodge/Chrysler CUV/SUV. Feel the weight of the door. Case closed. Enclave 1, all Chrysler/Dodge 0 (even with the drivetrain guarantee).

Lincoln MKX and similar - way too pricey for what you get. With this and the Ford Edge, it's like they started off with a good design and then simply quit. Daughter liked the Edge. I really do like how Ford cleans up the interior design of the dash elements. They seem to be well thought out in terms of function. Limited space again with uninspiring design. If it were just for the TV model in the ads, I'd buy a Mercury, but she won't be riding along, so.... Sorry Ford lovers, the Enclave wins hands down; much better value than Lincoln.

Ford Flex - so glad I was able to finally see one. Thought this would compete favorably with the Enclave, although obviously a radically different design. I do like the cleanliness of the design again. It has the Microsoft link and hug interior. Surprisingly the blingqueen (daughter) loved the somewhat retro look - bring on the Woody version (you know what I mean). But, and it's a big one for me, the wheelbase is so long and ground clearance so low that even moderate snow could lead to high centering. For us acreage types, I don't think it will work, even with AWD. It has a sortof hearse look, but is distinctive. Very different from the Enclave but priced to be competitive. I think it's a love it or hate it car. Enclave still wins.

Enclave rep conversation - There were 3 Enclaves there, in addition to the cutout most of you have seen (yes, the second row console is still in the model). The red jewel was on a turntable with a black and brown available for pawing/manipulating. I found the GM rep right away and was able to have a generally civil conversation with him about my appreciation and concerns about the vehicle. A few points:
- he was well-aware of camshaft and transmission problems and admitted they were getting attention.
- the DI engine will be in the 2009 models for sure.
- he thought ordering of 09s would be possible some time in April and dealers should have info on the exact timing.

THE SUMMARY: We spent a few hours critically examining the above vehicles. If you're still reading, it's clear I believe the Enclave to be the superior car among them related to bang for the buck. I am profoundly critical and analytical and opinionated related to many issues, as some know. Recall, I have not owned an American produced car since the 70s.

We looked at the red jewel turning and listened to the demo. The Enclave is not only elegant looking compared to most other vehicles, it is the most practical, as well. The cargo floor was flat and offered the most practical utilization of load space of any in the building. And the capacity is greater than cars costing thousands more. The Traverse looked great in the green, but it's no Enclave. Nice looking though, and better than other Lambdas, IMO. We picked out the red months ago and we were not disappointed seeing it again on display.

We always have a Golden Retriever as part of our family and take Joanna (Joey) along on vacation trips. Breeders prefer to have their dogs crated for safety. We hedge a bit and wanted to know if a dog bed would fit behind the captains chair behind the driver with the "stupid slide" seat in the folded position. In that way the daughter could sit in the right rear seat with a Rubbermaid 12 volt cooler next to her while getting the dog on the floor for greater safety. Good news, the "stupid slide" seat moves to its most forward position anod does not, in fact, even touch the driver's seat when it is all the way back (my driving position). Now we know we won't need a second row console because of the need for optimal room for the dog. This is our special need, but some of you may find the information useful. I must criticize the stupid slide - the worst feature of the car. It creates all kinds of problems keeping things out of the canyons the seats slide on. Anybody on the design team have any kids?

I have legitimate concerns about Left door fit, leaking sunroof, clank/clunk tests, fluid replacement in brake system, auto opening rear hatch door, tranny issues (big deal!), torque curve, accurate mileage estimates, and very importantly the cam shaft issues. ALL OF THESE ARE VERY IMPORTANT, GM!

Still we came away from the Twin Cities auto show firmly convinced the Buick Enclave is the car for us. If they don't do something stupid in the next few weeks, we'll be attempting to be one of the first to order a 2009 CXL red jewel (without sunroof), luxury, drivers conf., convenience and the 10 speaker system. Let's hope for rear camera WITHOUT the nav. on the 2009s. I have researched this purchase more than any other. Am I nuts? Probably for a number of reasons, but I can confidently recommend the Enclave after all this exploration. Will I still be picky? Absolutely. Do we ALL have the right to be? Are you kidding? $40,000 for a car? Do I have a right to invoke the Lemon Law or any other remedy, should things go south (see camshaft posts)? Yes.

All considered folks, this is one great, practical, bling-filled vehicle and I hope to be the proud owner of one in the near future. Absent some other revelations in the near future, I can't imagine overall a better purchase decision. Again, comments appreciated if you've survived the read. Hope this helps others.

BB

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Wow, BB, you sure did your (and, thank you, our) homework. Great review!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great Job on the review ! I fell for the Enclave, know I should've waited for the 09's, with the faults I read on this forum, I still had to have the Enclave, I'm not as old as some on the forum nor as young as other's, 61 years young. But the Enclave is my favorite car since my 1972 TR-6. Had 18 other vechiles in between then and now. I certainly admire your will power ! I picked her up on 2/25/08, and only have 917 miles on her, a little hunting on the tranny, no other issues (I keep knocking on wood). What a joy in-town and on the byways, avg mpg 19.4 mostly residental lets give it 60/40 residental/highway. Don't have a big roadtrip scheduled until, a grandson's college graduation in May in New Jersey. Really want to see the mpg over the road. Thank's again for the review..

Opa

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Opa. We're in the same age range. Always nice to hear that someone is enjoying their Enclave. Sounds as though your city mileage is excellent; could only be better on the highway. Cheers.

BB

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Re: For what it's worth: A trip to the Twin Cities auto show. Warning: it's lon

Thanks BB, wow what a write-up. I could not even remember all of those cars to write about them later unless I took notes. I think you are ready pal, order her up. I have a WDT and love the color, lots of reds it seems on this site, any thought of the crimson with cashmere, that seems like it would be a beauty although hard to keep clean I am sure.

Thanks again, did you make it to the MOA?

PS. My 13 year old daughter really loves the Enclave and seems proud of it, weird concept really...

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Great job BB, I really enjoyed reading your comparisons. I also think you have/are making a wise choice and the best "bling for your buck" with the red jewel. My wife talked me into it, and I still just stare at her right after cleaning her (the Enclave that is) ;D Are you getting cashmere/cocoa interior? Good luck with the ordering / waiting process!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

bsox said:
Thanks BB, wow what a write-up. I could not even remember all of those cars to write about them later unless I took notes. I think you are ready pal, order her up. I have a WDT and love the color, lots of reds it seems on this site, any thought of the crimson with cashmere, that seems like it would be a beauty although hard to keep clean I am sure.

Thanks again, did you make it to the MOA?

PS. My 13 year old daughter really loves the Enclave and seems proud of it, weird concept really...
Thanks, bsox. Actually, I already had nearly all of the brochures for the cars acquired over the past year. I was so high on the Volvo until I discovered internet posts on the Enclave concept car. Somehow, I found this site and was one of the first members, although until recently I haven't really posted very much. The Twin Cities trip allowed us to walk back and forth among vehicles of interest, so it was worth it.

No MOA this trip. My practice manager has a daughter who is good friends with mine, although two school years older and living in a nearby community. All 4 "girls" plan on a trip up there before school starts to do some serious shopping. Like most of us guys, I find the idea as much fun as hitting myself in the face repeatedly with a log chain. More power to them and bless them every one, Tiny Tim.

We did go a bit out of the way to the Spam museum. I have to tell you, I was looking for those 6 foot spam statues and I'm a little POed that you shattered my expectations by lying to me. :eek:hno: It actually is a really interesting place - more posts elsewhere.

GM must have something going here when our 13 year olds think the Enclave is "cool." Maybe this opens the next marketing opportunity?!

BB

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
ccaats said:
... and I still just stare at her right after cleaning her (the Enclave that is)
:happy: :happy: :happy: :cheers:

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ccaats said:
Great job BB, I really enjoyed reading your comparisons. I also think you have/are making a wise choice and the best "bling for your buck" with the red jewel. My wife talked me into it, and I still just stare at her right after cleaning her (the Enclave that is) ;D Are you getting cashmere/cocoa interior? Good luck with the ordering / waiting process!
Thanks, ccaats! You have great taste in both interior and exterior color. ;) The red jewel has always looked the best to us in any light - there is one in our town so we see it occasionally. That green is really elegant on the Traverse, but I probably won't wait long enough to see one in person on the Enclave. The chrome is simply stunning against the red color. It's bright enough to hide most of the grime; better at that than the darkest colors. We, too will be getting the towing package, although no plans on heavy towing; just wanted the factory install and tranny cooler. I think we're going to pass on the nav and may go with #3 ent if I'm remembering the options correctly. Do you like the factory nav. Definitely will get the chrome wheels -- that's never been that important to me before, but on this car, I just can't resist -- looks too good. I'm glad you read the post, so you know how much effort I've put into the research and how excited we are about the car. Now, if I get a little critical about problems in the future, hope you understand. :)

BTW, glad you clarified that cleaning issue! Whew! :eek: ;D ;D

BB

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

2MuchCoffee said:
Right ye r, lad!

Just want to thank you BB for the thorough, if not unbiased, walk through the toys at the auto show. It's probably true that many of us had our heads turned a time or two by some of the beauties you mentioned, but also, like many, when I saw Enclave, I knew I had found the One for Me (automobile, that is)! Your thumbnail summary of each of the contenders is a keeper! :thumb:
I hope it was unbiased, 2MuchC. I know I started a year ago with a completely open mind. As I said in the post, the initial "winner" for us was the XC-90 and we were attracted to it because of build quality and safety. But, we sat in, evaluated, drove, poked, prodded most of the vehicles mentioned. Also, I read Edmunds, Consumer sites, Road and Track, etc., etc., so it was more than the recent trip that led to the ultimate selection of the Enclave as the cream of the crop. It was fun to go and reinforce through another first hand experience the selection that was made. Honestly, as objective as we can be for our needs, the Enclave is the best. If I were still backpacking Colorado as I did for many years, we would have moved to a ladder on frame, true off-road SUV. Now, in the bird call stage of life, the Enclave offers the best of all worlds, while being fun to look at and drive. :thumb: Don't drink too much green liquid today, 2MuchCoffee. :beer:

BB

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks BlurryBill for your opinions. Interesting reading. Something I noticed when I went to the auto show in Calgary last week. The Enclave which has been on the market for almost 1 year had 3 times as many lookers as the Pontiac G8 which is just hitting the market. I would stand around the Enclave just to listen to peoples comments & questions. The sad part was how some of the questions were answered by salespeople. Exterior looks probably drew the most comments on the Enclave.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
"The sad part was how some of the questions were answered by salespeople."

You have touched on one of my pet peeves, Womps. From the beginning, I've had to educate sales people about the Enclave. If my livelihood depended on sales of the car, I would know it top to bottom and, sadly, most do not. At an auto show promoting the Enclave, the responses to consumers are even more important one would think. Thanks for your input.

BB

·
Registered
166 Posts
BB,

In January I went to the Washington DC car show. I went on a Friday night knowing Saturday morning I would be picking up my new Enclave. So I was apprehensive that I may find something better than the Enclave. After viewing all the competitors I walked away saying I made the right choice.

I was surprised at all the other 3 row vehicles that either the 3rd row seat was impractical or there was little or no storage behind the seat. By far the best looking vehicle was the Enclave. As a long time BMW owner, I too wanted to like the X5, but had problems with the cargo area and the finish didn't hold up, but the car does handle well . I still have a 95 BMW Touring that beats the X5 in many ways, more room, better handling and a great dual sunroof that my kids love and it just turned 150k yesterday.

In January we didn't have the Traverse, so I appreciate your review. Great job.

Press

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looks like many of us "made it through" your review...and are the better for it. Well done. I went to the Houston Auto Show a few weeks ago and at that time we were targeting a new Accord or the Saturn Outlook so I didn't take much time on the Enclave...also because my 6 year old daughter was about worn out when getting by the Buicks.

Like you, I research probably to a fault. But I like being able to look at such an investment knowing I made the best possible call on what was available at the time.

Have you been provided with any expectation of timelines if you order an 09 in April? I'd love to think of taking advantage of the DI engine and hopefully a bit more revision to the drivetrain and cam issues.

Thanks again for the info sharing and efforts!

·
Registered
644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, Bowzer and welcome to the forum. I was "quiet" at first, but with more research have been posting more. As I understand it, the key to receiving the car is whether or not the dealer has an allocation. There are several threads with info on this. I will NOT be placing an order with a dealer who cannot confirm the allocation for what I want. Apparently, some dealers have strung customers along or used their allocations for new customers, knowing they have a sold order. Actually, if the local dealer hadn't had an employee "confuse" the allocation for ours, we would have one by now. However, I'm glad we don't, since, like you, I prefer the "new" DI engine, as well as hope the various problems will be resolved.

Like you, I research probably to a fault. But I like being able to look at such an investment knowing I made the best possible call on what was available at the time.
Couldn't agree more. I know there are meds to help with the obsessive/compulsive traits; oh, well.......... ;)

BB

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
bb, we do like the NAV. It does have some frustrating characteristics (such as the lock out when driving), but all in all is pretty accurate and helpful. I think the other thing we like is the LARGE display it provides for the XM song id and cd info, etc. We need that with our poor vision (old Buick drivers) ;D Also, the "touchscreen" operation is so much easier than the "buttons" of the standard audio unit (just my opinion).

·
Registered
45 Posts
We had a similar experience at the 2007 auto show in sunny Cleveland. We actually ordered a CX-9 then, purely by chance my wife saw the Enclave concept. (I would have never, in my wildest dreams, considered a Buick!) That was it! We cancelled the Mazda order and took delivery of the CXL last June. It has been a wonderful car! (How could anyone have a car without OnStar, for example? ...and XM #73 is the best!)

I'm surprised no one else mentioned the Chinese-designed Buick Riviera they were showing, at least here in Cleveland. I'd buy one to cruise Boca and South Beach in a flash!

Jay

·
Registered
2,662 Posts

We have discussed that Riviera earlier, I would buy one right now!

·
Registered
92 Posts

I adore your review. You obviously put plenty of time and effort into it. However, I would like to add/comment on a few things. I actually just purchased a Red Jewel CXL AWD (Ent #4, confidence, luxury, chromes, sunroofs, net/shade) and love it. The color really shines phenomenally in the sun, and I can't even begin to tell you the amount of Enclave Envy I have witnessed to the date. The best was when I started the E @ the gas station, and the articulating HIDS ran through their test cycle--The kids on their bikes all gaped in amazement. Haha. Anyway, I can tell you that the transmission is very sketchy. Even in the flat suburban area I live in, I can feel the hesitation and or shifting issues in under 40MPH driving. And the pedal is very sensitive while going over bumps which causes the car to jerk sometimes. Overall, however, I love the car. It is my favorite yet. Also, having moved from a G35X with a backup camera to the E with the backup camera, I will tell you the difference. Forget about even getting the backup camera in the mirror. It is so minuscule that it is in a sense superfluous. I feel they mount them up there to get people to use their rear view mirrors more. My friend has an Expedition with it, and to be honest, I can't even see it. I do miss the guidelines from the G35X's cam which would show you where you were going and how close with colors. The E only uses the PDC to show you warnings of what you already know exists in the picture. If you are set on getting a rearview cam I would recommend getting the nav. Now to comment your car reviews. Bravo. I love the Enclave, but I can't say that it would beat all of those cars. Even though the prices of the Cayenne and BMW are high, they do drive much more sturdy and shift much better. And for fit and finish, the Enclave is not taking the cake there either. I love the vehicle, but an example is how the steering wheel wood doesn't even match the faux wood of the dash. A BIG turnoff. Or how the second and third row head-rests don't adjust. The nav is too a bit tech challenged. Coming from the G I can tell you the nav is much worse. But I should remember that this is American and not necessarily as techy as the Japanese. Good luck on whatever you do!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts