EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On page 6 of the big Enclave sales brochures (the one with the two page dash photo) it plainly states that the NAV price includes 2 free updates.
Look for the small * (asterisk) note below the info paragraph.
That's one of the things that sold ne on the Enclave!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
743 Posts
Thanks newtobuick......I will sure check it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
newtobuick said:
On page 6 of the big Enclave sales brochures (the one with the two page dash photo) it plainly states that the NAV price includes 2 free updates.
Look for the small * (asterisk) note below the info paragraph.
That's one of the things that sold ne on the Enclave!
Sales literature is not "fact." Somewhere they state that they reserve the right to change information, etc. etc. In this case, they did. Your owners manual (or maybe the Nav book) page, with info on free updates, was covered with another paper that tells how to buy updates. The free program was dropped with the debut of the 2008 model year.

Richard
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
This question is also available for viewing online at http://xlr-net.com/kb/questions/42/


2008 XLR: Service Bulletin: Change in the GM Nav Disc Update Program

To: Dealer Principals, General Managers, Sales Managers, Service Managers (Chevrolet, Pontiac, GMC, Buick, Saturn, and Cadillac)

Subject: Change in the GM Nav Disc Update Program

Models: All 2008 models with factory-installed, in-vehicle navigation -- either standard or optional (Cadillac CTS, SRX, STS, XLR, Escalade, Escalade EXT, Escalade ESV – Hummer H2 and H3 – Buick Lucerne and Enclave – Pontiac Grand Prix and Torrent – Saturn Outlook and Relay – GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon XL, Envoy, and Acadia – Chevy Silverado, Avalanche, Tahoe, Suburban, Trailblazer, Equinox, Uplander, and Corvette)

The purpose of this bulletin is to inform GM dealers and dealership personnel of a change to the GM Nav Disc Update Program. The program previously included two free DVD map updates for customers who purchased a GM vehicle with a factory navigation system, installed when the vehicle was built.

The program has been modified for the 2008 model year and beyond. Free DVD map updates are no longer included. This does not affect the original DVD map disc which is provided with the new vehicle. This also does not affect the owners of 2006 and 2007 model year vehicles with factory in-vehicle navigation. Those owners are still eligible to obtain a free update or updates.

DVD map updates will continue to be offered by the GM Nav Disc Center. The data on the DVD map disc ages at a rate of 15-20% per year. As the data ages, the functionality of the navigation system declines. The DVD map updates are available annually at the beginning of the new model year. The updates are currently priced at $199 + shipping.

The GM Nav Disc Center can be contacted for both disc orders or for assistance with nav system operation. Order discs via the website, www.gmnavdisc.com, or by phone, 1-877-NAV-DISC (1-877-628-3472). Contact information for the Center is also included in the Navigation Owner's Manual Supplement (in the glovebox) and on the face of the DVD disc included with the new vehicle.

Any feedback on this program change should be provided to your Field Sales or Service contacts.

General Motors bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, not a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform those technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, do not assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See a General Motors dealer servicing your brand of General Motors vehicle for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Smokin SRX said:
TKS (I think) rwagoner . Read it and wept :(
It's always fun to fight city hall. ;D
I was influenced to order the NAV by the "2 free upgrades" note in the brochure.
I was never notified before or on delivery that the policy had changed ...
Therefore, I expect to get the 2 free upgrades or be compen$ated..
What do you think ... good case? ;D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
388 Posts
newtobuick said:
It's always fun to fight city hall. ;D
I was influenced to order the NAV by the "2 free upgrades" note in the brochure.
I was never notified before or on delivery that the policy had changed ...
Therefore, I expect to get the 2 free upgrades or be compen$ated..
What do you think ... good case? ;D
Certainly worth a try. I didn't notice them lowering the price of the system when they removed the benefit!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
newtobuick said:
It's always fun to fight city hall. ;D
I was influenced to order the NAV by the "2 free upgrades" note in the brochure.
I was never notified before or on delivery that the policy had changed ...
Therefore, I expect to get the 2 free upgrades or be compen$ated..
What do you think ... good case? ;D
I know many have tired of this issue... but if you want to "fight city hall" here's some ammunition:


From the Buick Online Brochure (2008_Buick_Enclave.pdf downloaded 6/29/2008)

"The graceful, organic design of Enclave’s instrument panel is totally captivating. Sculpted arches, Warm Camphor Burl wood tones, Buick’s signature lapis blue gauge
lighting. Even the classic art deco design of the quartz analog clock exudes a sense of order and harmony. But behind all the beauty and craftsmanship, past the
available Mahogany power tilt and telescope steering wheel, there’s a wealth of high-tech intelligence ready to serve you. Like the available touch screen DVD
navigation system. It has the data on almost seven million miles of U.S. and Canadian roads.* It’s quite sophisticated, but simple to use. It can be voice activated.
And it comes with an unobtrusive rearview camera that sends images to the navigation screen. All to help you navigate your way into those tight parking spots.
*Two annual updates are included."


From the Online Navigation Manual (2008 Acadia, Enclave, Equinox, Lucerne, OUTLOOK, Torrent and VUE Navigation System - which I downloaded on 8/26/08)

"The map DVD in your vehicle is the most up-to-date
information available when your vehicle was produced.
The map DVD is updated periodically, provided that
the map information has changed. You will receive
two free DVD map disc updates with the purchase of
your new vehicle. Updates are necessary to make sure
that your vehicle’s navigation system has the most
accurate information available about streets/roads,
points of interest, and business locations."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
rpasetto said:
From the Online Navigation Manual (2008 Acadia, Enclave, Equinox, Lucerne, OUTLOOK, Torrent and VUE Navigation System - which I downloaded on 8/26/08)
Can I ask from where you downloaded this? My printed copy has an insert glued over the existing page and there's no mention of free updates.

Thanks
Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
SonnyJim66 said:
Can I ask from where you downloaded this? My printed copy has an insert glued over the existing page and there's no mention of free updates.

Thanks
Mike
The info given by the members above is accurate. My '08 manual had the glued insert also............many did not. Final word: GM had decided to NOT offer the 2 upgrades and many were misled. many have tried to get them anyway, and some DID, as a courtesy, by the Dealer/GM area rep. I suspect this will be rare outcome :(

They do have the right to change the Manual's offerings/specs at any time. The case of being "misled" is the best way to proceed, if you want to fight it. Yes, it sucks.

Meanwhile, welcome here and best wishes w/ your Enclave. You will soon forget the Nav discs..................
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
SonnyJim66 said:
Can I ask from where you downloaded this? My printed copy has an insert glued over the existing page and there's no mention of free updates.

Thanks
Mike
I do not recall where the Nav PDF came from.. it might have been the Buick owner center but I looked and could not find it now. I notice that there's mention of the online Nav manual in the Acadia Forum (Sept 9) but I have not found the URL. I think that I downloaded the Enclave 08 Brochure directly from Buick website.. can't find that anymore either. Anyone know?

.. RP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Smokin SRX said:
Meanwhile, welcome here and best wishes w/ your Enclave. You will soon forget the Nav discs..................
Thanks for the welcome. I've actually been a lurker here for over a year and an Enclave owner for a year now. :)

As for the Nav disk, I thought I'd provide an update on my quest to get the updated disk.

I called the Nav Disk center (1-877-628-3472) and spoke to a representative who wasn't overly helpful. I informed her of the conversation I'd had at the dealership when I purchased the vehicle (I specifically had asked them about updates and I was told I would receive two annual updates). I also told her about the brochure. It didn't help. She still flatly refused to provide an update, so I asked to speak to her supervisor. Her supervisor was 'busy' but she promised she'd have her call me back. The supervisor never did, but the rep did call and request that I fax them a copy of the brochure. I duly obliged (apparently the Nav Disk center is the only business in North America with no access to e-mail or the web).

After hearing nothing for a few days, I called back and spoke to another representative. He looked up my original case information and went off for a few minutes. He then provided me with an order confirmation number and told me I'd be receiving the disk in 4-7 business days. So, fingers crossed I'll have a happy ending to report in a few days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,853 Posts
If this works, would you be willing to scan and post the brochure here so others of us could try? Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
rockyp said:
If this works, would you be willing to scan and post the brochure here so others of us could try? Thanks!
An excellent idea.. Perhaps if enough of us call them on this they'll recant and start honoring their original commitment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,999 Posts
SonnyJim66 said:
Thanks for the welcome. I've actually been a lurker here for over a year and an Enclave owner for a year now. :)

As for the Nav disk, I thought I'd provide an update on my quest to get the updated disk.

I called the Nav Disk center (1-877-628-3472) and spoke to a representative who wasn't overly helpful. I informed her of the conversation I'd had at the dealership when I purchased the vehicle (I specifically had asked them about updates and I was told I would receive two annual updates). I also told her about the brochure. It didn't help. She still flatly refused to provide an update, so I asked to speak to her supervisor. Her supervisor was 'busy' but she promised she'd have her call me back. The supervisor never did, but the rep did call and request that I fax them a copy of the brochure. I duly obliged (apparently the Nav Disk center is the only business in North America with no access to e-mail or the web).

After hearing nothing for a few days, I called back and spoke to another representative. He looked up my original case information and went off for a few minutes. He then provided me with an order confirmation number and told me I'd be receiving the disk in 4-7 business days. So, fingers crossed I'll have a happy ending to report in a few days.
Way to go SonnyJim66 . Pls let us know. I'd love the new one! But I'm not paying $165. :confused:

Glad you joined up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
SonnyJim66 said:
Thanks for the welcome. I've actually been a lurker here for over a year and an Enclave owner for a year now. :)
As for the Nav disk, I thought I'd provide an update on my quest to get the updated disk....
......After hearing nothing for a few days, I called back and spoke to another representative. He looked up my original case information and went off for a few minutes. He then provided me with an order confirmation number and told me I'd be receiving the disk in 4-7 business days. So, fingers crossed I'll have a happy ending to report in a few days.
Pardon me for shortening your quote, but I wanted to comment on your last paragraph as it seems to support a possibility of a change in the "No free copies for 2008 & 2009 disks" that I was given on Sept. 12. Pasted below is report on my efforts and its results at that time. As it indicates many of the comments in this topic where made in a similar topic previously. Enough introduction, here is the paste:
Technical Discussions / Audio, Video & Nav / Re: Newer NAV disc version? on: September 12, 2008, 11:54:38 AM
No answer in 2009 Navigation System manual, see section 2, pg 41. Just references to their website of www.gmnavdis.com and telephone number of 1-877-628-3472. Website gives follow statement:

[/color]"GM is pleased to offer a subscription program including all new North American 2006 and 2007 model year GM vehicles (excluding Saab) with factory installed navigation systems. Owners of qualified GM vehicles will receive two (2) free update discs for the navigation system on your first and second anniversary. If your vehicle was purchased in 2006 you have until December 31, 2008 to take advantage of this offer. If your vehicle was purchased in 2007 the offer will expire on December 31, 2009."[/color]

A telephone call to number given above gave a little more information. Upon being asked if the free upgrades would be available for the 2009s, the following answers were given:

[/color]"No decisions have been made as to continuing with free upgrades on 2008 & 2009 models. When they reach their respective one year maturity date, decisions will be made at that time. When pressed with fact the 2008 models were now over one year old, she just stated no decision has been made on them yet. These statements were given after I was placed on hold twice for her to verify her answers".[/color]

So, where does this leave us? No decision yet made, but for we optimists, at least hope. Especially if we apply the 1 yr period criteria for free replacements after the first anniversary date in the existing program one the 2006 & 2007 models. Remember we are referring to all GM products.(excluding Saab).
Bd

The results you received after your diligent pursuit, may have resulted in you giving us the results of the decisions forecasted in the conversation I had with the Nav Rep.. Many thanks for your efforts. I hereby award you today's Gold Star for service to your fellow forum members.
BD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
The brochure in question is still available for download on the Buick site (http://www.buick.com/pdf/2008_Buick_Enclave.pdf- thanks to rpasetto for bringing it to my attention). All I did was download it and then fax it to them at 1-313-957-5140 at the request of the rep.

I don't think that what I have achieved has anything to do with any change to policy or suggests the the policy doesn't apply to 2008 owners. In fact, given that an insert was glued to my Navigation manual when I purchased the car back in October last year, my guess is that the no-update policy has been in effect for a long time.

My approach was simply to impress upon them that when I bought the car, I was told by the dealership that it included two updates. I did in fact specifically ask the dealership at the time of purchase about the update policy, and I was specifically told that I would be entitled to two annual updates (probably information they themselves took from the brochure). I had nothing in writing to support that until rpasetto posted his comments to this thread.

My advice would be for 2008 owners to do the same. Tell them that at the time of purchase your dealership stated that two updates were included and wave the brochure under their noses as proof that the information came from Buick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
SonnyJim66 said:
The brochure in question is still available for download on the Buick site (http://www.buick.com/pdf/2008_Buick_Enclave.pdf- thanks to rpasetto for bringing it to my attention). All I did was download it and then fax it to them at 1-313-957-5140 at the request of the rep.

I don't think that what I have achieved has anything to do with any change to policy or suggests the the policy doesn't apply to 2008 owners. In fact, given that an insert was glued to my Navigation manual when I purchased the car back in October last year, my guess is that the no-update policy has been in effect for a long time.

My approach was simply to impress upon them that when I bought the car, I was told by the dealership that it included two updates. I did in fact specifically ask the dealership at the time of purchase about the update policy, and I was specifically told that I would be entitled to two annual updates (probably information they themselves took from the brochure). I had nothing in writing to support that until rpasetto posted his comments to this thread.

My advice would be for 2008 owners to do the same. Tell them that at the time of purchase your dealership stated that two updates were included and wave the brochure under their noses as proof that the information came from Buick.
Thank you for the URL, SonnyJim66. Someone had asked me a while back where I had downloaded that PDF and I had forgotten.. didn't bookmark it then but now everyone has the info. I checked the file date of the PDF I had downloaded originally.. it's 6-28-08, and today, over 3 months later the info is still there.

Yes, I agree, we should all get after the GM Nav disk center to do the right thing.

.. RP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,875 Posts
ok... so I just wrote to the GM Nav Disk Center (https://www.gmnavdisc.com/overview.do)... see below.
We'll see what happens. :thumb:

Your printed brochure for the 2008 Buick Enclave as well as the online brochure for this vehicle (http://www.buick.com/pdf/2008_Buick_Enclave.pdf) states that:

"... there’s a wealth of high-tech intelligence ready to serve you. Like the available touch screen DVD navigation system. It has the data on almost seven million miles of U.S. and Canadian roads.* It’s quite sophisticated, but simple to use. It can be voice activated. And it comes with an unobtrusive rearview camera that sends images to the navigation screen. All to help you navigate your way into those tight parking spots.
*Two annual updates are included."

I want you to confirm that we owners of 2008 Enclaves _will_ be entitled to our two free annual updates.[/color]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
My new Nav Disk arrived today. Hoorah! Evidently the brochure did the trick.

For other 2008 owners who decide to call the Nav Disk center for an update, you might want to ask to talk to John at extension #6190. He was very helpful when I called.
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top