EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my Enclave into the shop today to have the CID buttons fixed. They offered me a free month of Onstar. Is this normal? They said GM was offing it. I also got a letter in the mail. It told me without onstar the car could no longer call the police in I'm in an accident? Did anyone else get this?

What all can onstar do? Is it worth it?

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Turn by turn direction is awesome. Check out OnStar website for full capabilities.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Besides directions....

If you leave your keys in the car- you call them, they unlock your car.
If you have phone Onstar APP, you can unlock the car with your phone. (having set it up etc).
Or locate your car in a huge parking lot.
Or remote start your car with the phone.

Or send directions to your car with the phone.

If youre in an accident, the vehicle will contact Onstar- who will contact local PD/Fire/EMS.

We have used the Onstar Emergency button.
Weve witnessed accidents (severe one, like vehicles colliding and flipping over, car full of teens that rearend another car- front passengers head hits windshield, and a child being hit in cross walk).
We immidiately hit Onstar Emergency and within seconds we are talking to an operator who in turn gets on the line with local 911.

While everyone else is on the cell phone waiting- were already on the phone with local dispatch. Getting the ball rolling.

This is significant, because in California, last I read, Cell phone 911 calls are routed to 2 call centers manned by CHP.
So you can imagine the call volume and holding times.

Onstar even sent me some decal or something- "ONSTAR GOOD SAMARITAN"

If youre on the road, and your vehicle sets CEL, you can hit the onstar button and have them run a diagnostic on the vehicle. theyll tell you what the issue is. (if its set a Code).

Theres other stuff too.
Like if the vehicle is stolen- they can send an engine shut off command.
I believe they still do some sort of tracking for your kids, if you set it up.

Some years ago, I was a beta tester for the vehicle locate feature.
I tried it out on a day my wife was driving the vehicle.

the Map that came up- I recognized the location right away.....
I called her up- and said--- "What are you doing at the Starbucks Drive Thru Window????" :devil:
Yeah- she was a little surprissed....

·
Registered
131 Posts
A few months ago, Onstar offered me three months free on my wife's 2010 Malibu, which has under 14k miles on it. I ignored the offer because she doesn't drive it often enough to warrant the cost after the trial period.

The new Enclave came with 30 days free. The only thing I kept is the Wi-Fi, which is handy to have in the vehicle and not that expensive. If you have built-in navigation, then I don't see a reason to pay for Onstar's turn-by-turn nav plan. As to emergency notification in the event of a crash, unless you are in a remote area, or don't have a cell, or are unable to call for help, most other motorists seeing a crash will call police/ambulance.

So for me, other than Wi-Fi, Onstar just isn't worth it. Your situation may differ.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you do with WIFI? How much is it? I was told today at dealer they are offering one month free ONSTAR to all GM owners with equipped vehicles so they can update firmware in modules whatever that means. Why do they need to do these updates.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Wi-Fi can be handy if you are away from home or on a long trip and don't have a data plan on your cell, or if you have to pay by the GB. If the vehicle is Wi-Fi hotspot capable you can download specific apps, receive email and visit any websites on a tablet or laptop. There are two plans available at $10/month for 1GB of data or $20 for unlimited data.

There are computers in the vehicle that can be updated to fix problems or add new features, when available, just like home computers and tablets. They can use the vehicle's wi-fi to do these updates without having to visit a dealer, and at no additional expense.

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Well, with 2008-16 MY's, Wi-Fi wasn't/isn't an option.......

·
Registered
5,907 Posts
Any vehicle over the air software updates do not require wifi. The downloads are sent to the vehicle via Onstar.
I am aware of this. I was simply stating that I do not have the luxury of wifi for use on my cell via my 2008 Enclave.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Good to know, jeepgrady. Also, the Enclave wi-fi will connect to any hotspot, and I'm pretty sure that won't eat up your paid data. When in my driveway it connects to my home wifi router.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't have WIFI on the 2015. Tried Onstar to request directions. They sent it to the GPS. Since the screen is locked during driving this could be handy. But it took three tries to get it to work so putting address into GPS would be better. Not sure it worth it.

Guess they must need to push an update to all vehicles now so want to turn onstar on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
5 Participants
Emmen
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing