EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is driving me crazy. I had two different dealers check it and they found nothing. I hear a rattling sound from front end but only over small bumps or pot holes. Going over speed bumps or larger dips I hear nothing. Had the sway bar link bushings replaced yet I still hear the noise. Had the wheels aligned and tire balanced too. At highway speed I get a slight vibration in front end but that’s going over 75. Car is 2011 with 65000 miles but I had struts replaced about 25000 miles ago and tires replaced about 20000 miles ago. Guess at 65000 and 8 years old the slight vibration should be expected. As far as the slight rattle it’s really annoying. Makes the car sound like a piece of junk! Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
I started to get a metallic thud. I would not call it a rattle.
But inside the cabin I could tell it was metal related.
Was very apparent in slow speed driving. Any little bumps in the road and I could hear it. I dont really recall hearing it on speed bumps. It was the little bumps in the road- that really made it stand out. At speed-- it was probably there- but too much road noise.
I began to replace parts. I was nearing 150,000. Replacement of the parts would have happened regardless.
Sway bar bushing.
Sway band endlinks
Tie Rod Ends

Front control arm bushings.
Lower control arms (with new ball joints).
Noise was still there....
My struts had 49,000 miles.
I emailed the company because while I was doing all the work- I noticed the jounce bumper had come loose on the strut rod.
I received replacements under the lifetime warranty.
I removed a strut..... and I think I found the source of the sound.
Once driven- the sound was gone.

Turns out the rubber mount that isolates the coil from the metallic base, both moved and was worn through.
So it was metal coil on metal base. Allowing the coil to tap. Metallic thud.....

note the rubber moved down.
Also notice this coil was now metal to metal.. so any small movement of the coil--- resulted in metallic thud/tapping.
You can actually see where the coil was tapping.
You may want to raise vehicle and look at the area and see if youre rubber bushing has shifted.

the coils end-- wore right through the rubber.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. If I am able Ill raise it up and take a look or show this post to the dealer so he can check it out. Thanks a lot!!

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
just raise one side and look up with a flashlight.
you may need to remove wheel if you need a better view.

You should be able to see if the rubber gasket has slipped out... giving a clue to inspect further...
Im thinking that using a mirror on a telescoping wand may give a better view if needed.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. You’re are always very helpful. Appreciate it much. It may not be until next week but I’ll let you know what I find. Thanks again.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Someone sent me a message
Join: Feb 2019

about 1 hour ago
Rattle noise
I just started having the same thing. There are heat plates next to front tires and a few other places. I feel the same way when they come loose it makes the car sound cheap. The mechanic should have spotted this easily!!

I never heard of heat plates. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
heat plates next to front tires?

no idea what hes referring to.

Wheel well liner?
There are Heat shields found along the exhaust and body?
Those sometimes come loose and rattle.

But I dont recall metal heat shields by the tires.
Though he says heat plates. What heat are the tires being protected from?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree. I know the exhaust may have heat shields but as far as tires I do not know. I do thank the person for the input though. Guess Ill check anything that may be loose but I would have expected the techs to do that if it was brought in for inspection. Then again never assume. I have had my tires rotated several times at same place and they never reset the TPS. From now on I always ask before leaving if it was done.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally fixed

Don't know how two dealers missed it but went back to second dealer on Staten Island as I was still getting noise and vibration at 65-70 MPH and faster. This time a different mechanic at the Staten Island dealer found my two tie rod ends were bad (he actually showed them to me). I don't' know how an issue such as bad tie rod ends can be missed when you ask for a front end inspection? Well the noise is fixed but I was charged for an alignment again after having it done only a month ago after I was told there was nothing wrong with the front end. I think I should be refunded the cost of the new alignment. Do you think that would be fair? If so I may contact them and ask them for a refund of the second alignment as it was their missed front end diagnosis the first time. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Really.... they missed that?

Maybe theyd didnt grab and pull?

But I would go back- and say- Howd you miss that?

The alignment was what $100-150?

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes 99 dollars and I assume tax so lets say 108 dollars. Would I be wrong to ask for that back? I don't think so and I would think if they want my return business it would be fair. I agree with you, how can you miss that if you are checking a front end for noise. Please advise eme if you think it is fair for me to ask for the alignment cost back. Thanks again. I sent them an email and I am waiting for their response.

·
Super Moderator
500 Posts
Yeah, they definitely owe you either the alignment no charge this time or a refund on the one they did a month ago that they shouldn't have done because you had bad tie rods.

I'd do this over the phone or in person though. I feel like you're not going to get anywhere via email.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I called and tried to explain but I feel I should have gone there in person. They said they are going send me a refund check. Hopefully they will honor what they said over the phone. Thanks. Amazing how two different dealers can miss a common front end part such as that. Makes me wonder if its worth paying the premium prices of dealer service centers. Labor is 134 dollars per hour!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
No refund

Here it is almost a month later and no refund check. Either they lied or they forgot to send me the refund they promised over the phone. Should I go there in person and complain or call Buick? Also the steering wheel is slightly off center after the alignment. I addressed this concern immediately and tech said he got it best he could but it is still slightly off center. Am I being to picky? I would think they should be able to center your steering wheel when it is aligned. Open to any advice on how to handle this without sounding like I'm too picky but I cannot understand how with all the front end work plus the alignment I had done the steering wheel cannot be perfectly centered. Thanks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I've had a similar experience as @rbarrios. 2010 Enclave with 160k miles. Been chasing front end noises for too long. My tied rod ends were only 3 years old, but it turns out they were responsible for my noise. I replaced sway bar bushings (which needed it) and the front LCA bushings which were only two years old. Previously replaced struts. I checked a bunch of bolts on the bottom. Several were not at correct torques. I thought my power steering rack could be moving, so checked/tightened those. The PS had been replaced under warranty, so I thought that could be it.

I have an old "noise detector" that I finally got out and led me to the tie rod ends. You now the things doctors use to listen to your heart? I have one that has a probe on the end of it, and you place it on a part (touch the end of it on the suspected noisemaker) to try and figure out source of noises. Works like a charm. Should have used it a long time ago.

I just unhooked the tie rod ends and greased them like crazy and moved them around a lot while I pushed grease in. That fixed it. If I would have been charging myself an hourly rate, this would have cost thousands! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts