EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, up here in Canada (Toronto) we've entered the 6 months of winter that we usually have... sigh.

Anyways, we've had 2 decent snow falls in the last 30 days, and temps are now below freezing at night. I've noticed that on more than one occasion, after the vehicle has sat over night, there is a layer of frost on the INSIDE of the windshield in the morning!! So much so that you can scrape it off and have a snow filled dash. This makes it extremely difficult to drive as it takes much longer for the defroster to melt it all away... All doors are closed fully, and windows are all up as far as they'll go - after all its winter! I've never had a vehicle with frost building on the inside. I'm hoping to hear from anyone else in a cold climate, or any info as to WHY this would be happening or how to prevent? I have a 2015 work vehicle which I park outside right beside the E and this does not happen to that vehicle.

Thanks

·
Registered
398 Posts
Do you leave the HVAC in defrost mode when you exit the vehicle? How about the air intake cowling, is that clear? Make sure there is nothing blocking the air intake by the wipers.
Also, leave the HVAC in floor heat mode to see is that solves it.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
Grab some shaving cream... smear it on the inside windshield glass. spread it around and then wipe it clean.
This will keep moisture from setting up on the glass.... and freezing.
Do this to any glass surface you dont want moisture to build up on.
You can also use rain X- but im sure you have Shaving cream at home.

Then- to find out if you have a leak--- possibly wetting the carpet-- thus the high amount of moisture

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you leave the HVAC in defrost mode when you exit the vehicle? How about the air intake cowling, is that clear? Make sure there is nothing blocking the air intake by the wipers.
Also, leave the HVAC in floor heat mode to see is that solves it.
Thanks guys. I don't know where my wife leaves the HVAC settings, its likely set to face & floor vents, and on mid to high heat. The air intake cowling is most likely clear, the only thing that MIGHT be covering it is.. SNOW. Will tell the wife to leave it on floor/heat mode and see what happens.

@JayS - We do have weathertech rubber mats up front (haven't put them in yet - wife's fault!) so that will be changed out this weekend. However the carpet mats that are in now aren't that wet.. maybe a tad bit, but not soaked or anything.

@rbarrios - The shaving cream on the windshield is an interesting concept... never heard or knew about that, so I will have to tell the wife and see if she's willing to give it a try.

·
Registered
6,554 Posts
the shaving cream also works on your bathroom mirror.... when you take those hot showers...

here they try several items.

here straight foam.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, up here in Canada (Toronto) we've entered the 6 months of winter that we usually have... sigh.

Anyways, we've had 2 decent snow falls in the last 30 days, and temps are now below freezing at night. I've noticed that on more than one occasion, after the vehicle has sat over night, there is a layer of frost on the INSIDE of the windshield in the morning!! So much so that you can scrape it off and have a snow filled dash. This makes it extremely difficult to drive as it takes much longer for the defroster to melt it all away... All doors are closed fully, and windows are all up as far as they'll go - after all its winter! I've never had a vehicle with frost building on the inside. I'm hoping to hear from anyone else in a cold climate, or any info as to WHY this would be happening or how to prevent? I have a 2015 work vehicle which I park outside right beside the E and this does not happen to that vehicle.

Thanks
I have a 2017 Buick Enclave SUV that I bought new in July 2016. It has the same problem as your vehicle. I live in Florida. I noticed the moisture on the inside of the windshield just by chance. It doesn’t matter if it’s been running previously, if the weather is hot, cold, raining, day or night! I never know what I’ll find when I go out to get in the vehicle. I took videos and pictures to show the dealership. I didn’t they would believe me. I could hardly believe what I was seeing! I never had a vehicle that did that. I even wrote on the inside of the windshield and had the windshield wipers going to show the moisture is actually on the inside. I also had occasions in the winter where the moisture froze and had to be scraped! I took my vehicle to the dealership because of this problem. On multiple occasions they had it for almost a month. According to the service manager they checked everywhere for moisture. They couldn’t find anything. I talked with the folks who work with Florida Lemon Law issues and talked on several occasions to the Buick contact in Detroit. After 1 1/2 years of trying to get my vehicle repaired/replaced I received an email from my Buick dealership with a response from the Buick (Detroit) engineers. Bottom line and my take away is that since I can drive the vehicle there’s no problem. I can’t begin to tell you how frustrated, irritated and tremendously disappointed I am that the folks at the headquarters of Buick have taken this stand. I think the fact that there’s moisture on the inside of the windshield is a big problem! It actually has started accumulating on the inside on 6 of the windows on occasion. Again, there’s nothing that can make this happen and it’s by chance that I see it when I happen to go outside to get in the vehicle. To me, it’s a health issue. There’s moisture coming from something but no one can find out where!!! I think that there’s a high possibility of mold and mildew build up SOMEWHERE. They’ve had quite a lot of chances to find the problem. Just as a side note, the service manager sent me pictures of several 2019 Buick Enclave SUVs showing the same moisture problem on the inside of the windshield. I know this probably doesn’t help except to let you know there’s someone else with the same problem. After I noticed the moisture, I Googled the problem and found there was at least one other report of it in south Florida. I'm still in disbelief that Buick is willing to settle on having a problem like this. Good luck!

·
Registered
117 Posts
There is moisture in air. Relative Humidity is how much humidity air can hold. When it reaches 100 percent then you get the condensation. It will reach 100 percent when either the temperature drops or the moisture increases. Glass tends to cool faster especially under a night sky. Try noticing what the RH and temperature is in your location when this happens. I don't know if there is a way to close the AC baffles but they that if you can. Also buy two RH gauges and put one inside and one out to see if the readings are different. This may help you diagnose the issue.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts