EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone I am looking for some advice.
I am finding I am getting terrible mileage on my new Enclave. Here are the stats on my DIV.
Used- 62.3 L of gas
average speed -35.6
Range left- 162 km
Average economy- 16.8 L/100km
Which means I will get only 530 km per tank.

I got it last Friday and did basic running around in my neighbourhood and used more than a quarter of a tank. I picked my daughter up from school yesterday and went to the gym and home and used over a quarter tank in less than 20 km. There has to be something wrong.
Did I not read here that some owners had to had software fixed?
Everything else about this car is awesome. It rides like on air and is so quiet. Help.

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you just got it I would not be concerned. Your milage is going to look bad on the first tank. However (excuse me but I am going to work in miles), if you say you are on target to get 530km per tank, this is 330 miles per tank. It is a 22 gallon tank so that would equate out to 330/22 equals 15 miles per gallon. That is actually pretty good for your first tank if you have only been doing city driving.

When I got mine, the DIC said 12-13 miles per gallon because they run it a bit at the assembly plant without putting miles on it therefore skewing your milage for the first tank. I am averaging around 19-20.5 mile per gallon on mine with mostly highly some city mixed in. My milage improved noticably after about 2500 miles.

·
Registered
33 Posts
hello my friend, may I suggest you burn 89 octane at least twice a month alternating between 87 if you can. thanks

·
Registered
14 Posts
We all started the same way - poor mileage, great ride. As you drive it, the mileage improves! I just went over 11000km, and, at times, I get better than 7L/100km(30+ mpg!). Be patient; enjoy the ride and the changes will astound you! :thumb:

·
Registered
14 Posts
dorothyl said:
That's funny, my husband calls it the beast. Why is the mieage so bad and why does it improve?
I'm told it's a combination of "breaking in" the motor and getting the transmission and engine adjusted to your driving habits. Once those two things get into sync, the vehicle "tunes" itself for the best mileage possible. It's either computer-related or MAGIC!! ;)

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Dorothyl, sorry I don't have time to do the conversion right now, but from Jerlem1 conversion work, you are getting what you should, around town! If you have a heavy foot like me, you can get it down to 10-12 MPG, around town! (I had trans re-flash done as mine was built before Aug 25th. Little affect on mileage, good affect on shifting!) Don't expect more than 13-15MPG around town w/ stop and go, 10-30 MPH speed. It's a heavy (5,000 lbs) cruiser and achieves it's good mileage only on the highway at 55-65 MPH w/ cruise on. Then I get 23-25 MPG!

As mentioned give it time. You can't drive it like a 4 passenger Ford Focus @ 2800 lbs ;) In my own experience with 89 octane, it yielded a very tiny, extra amount of power, but not enough to justify prices. No mileage difference noticed.

Good luck and enjoy!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've had my Enclave for 1 1/2 months now. Receiving 10.5 mpg. Yes I do mostly driving around town mileage, however, this is not close to the 16 mpg advertised for city driving. Current miles is 600. I basically do 4000 miles per year --- lots of driving around town with kids to sports. Will this mileage get better????

·
Registered
222 Posts
Make sure that you reset your DIC for MPG every once in a while. I have been doing it either every other tank or sometimes every tank depending on the driving prior. If you were getting lower mpg in the beginning and are now starting to get better it is going to take longer to get the average up. If you have not reset it since the break-in period, try resetting it and see if you are now getting better mpg.

I average between 19 - 21 mpg, 18 after my husband drives it >:D mostly major route driving - no highways average posted speed beteen 40 - 55 mph, but not much stop and go.

Just for the experience I put 89 octane in today and reset the DIC. See if there are any noticable differences.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
mtenclave08 said:
I've had my Enclave for 1 1/2 months now. Receiving 10.5 mpg. Yes I do mostly driving around town mileage, however, this is not close to the 16 mpg advertised for city driving. Current miles is 600. I basically do 4000 miles per year --- lots of driving around town with kids to sports. Will this mileage get better????
mtenclave, you're not close to "broken in", yet. Tranny "learns" our driving and adjusts, too. But depending on how "local" and how "heavy" your foot is, driving w stop/go can yield 10-12 MPG w/ this bruiser! Real test to see if all is working would be to get on a highway (55-60 MPH) and reset DIC (hold down Arrow button on dash) to see what you get now. ( tune to the Average MPG view!) If you get 21-25 MPG, you're good!

:thumb: Good luck and let us know

·
Registered
158 Posts
I reset my DIC with every fill up. I also reset the amount of fuel used because it's a full tank. I think you need to reset just about everything related to fuel consumption on each fill up to get an accurate reading. I could be wrong. I also noticed that I get better mileage after I reached 1500-2000 miles, and using synthetic oil.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
We have gone from averaging 13 mpg on all city driving on the first couple of tanks, to averaging 15.5 - 16 MPG on the last tank. We have also been driving more agressively after hitting 500 miles, so this is a good trend. We now have 800 miles on her. I am looking forward to the BIG jump after 2000 miles or so.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Funny, after 2500 miles it appears I am going down in mpg. I am averaging around 18.4 now which is a full mpg less then since I have owned it. I have been using the remote start every morning for the past week as it has been chilly around here (yes, frost) and I am wondering of this is throwing off the mpg reading. I also put 89 octane in my last fillup so no noticable difference with that either.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
When the car is idling it gets a big ZERO mpg, so that definitely lowers the average. You can actually sit and watch the average mpg drop while sitting at idle.

·
Registered
158 Posts
ccaats said:
When the car is idling it gets a big ZERO mpg, so that definitely lowers the average. You can actually sit and watch the average mpg drop while sitting at idle.
I've noticed that. Especially after you just fill-up and reset all the DIC's. Try sitting at a red light within the 1st mile. You'll see it drop .3 every 3-5 seconds you sit. Ha!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I dunno, folks -- I'm getting around 20 mpg. But I learned hi-mileage driving habits back in 1973. I take my foot off the gas and coast up to red lights; I accelerate slowly; I build up speed when approaching a hill and coast part of the way up; I take my foot off the gas and coast downhill. A "light foot" adds many mpg's.

Big Larry[/color]
:beer:

·
Registered
313 Posts
Using 89 octane will not improve your mileage any. If anything, it is harder for the engine to burn completely. Higher octane is meant for higher compression (which the Enclave certainly isn't), nothing more.

Stick to 87, that is what the engine is designed to us, and what it uses best.

G

·
i learned hi milage driving um NEVER, i slam on the breaks or floor it and run through a stop light i average 25 mph above speed limit and i accelriate quickly just to show the guy next to me that an suv aint slow :angel:

·
Registered
222 Posts
I am with Big Larry on driving habits - Although I was only 2 in 1973 :angel: - so my habits developed a little later (during my mini-van years).

Prior to using the Remote Start on a regular basis I was between 19 - 21 mpg. I have not extended the running time so it does not run more then the first 10 minutes.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts