EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. My wife is the primary driver of our Enclave which she drives mostly around the city. She doesn't have a lead foot since the kids are always with her. We are getting 13.4 mpg so far at 450 miles on the odo. I noticed that people in this forum with higher miles on their odo have better fuel efficiency. Why is that? I've just never heard of getting better fuel efficiency as the car gets broken in.

2. Also, the fuel gauge was almost on E so she filled it up last night. She said it took almost 17 gallons of fuel. I know the tank takes 22 gallons. Then, she checked the range on a full tank (the needle is past full). The computer says 267 miles. Shouldn't it be closer to 300 miles? Are all these normal?

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Flipsonic said:
1. My wife is the primary driver of our Enclave which she drives mostly around the city. She doesn't have a lead foot since the kids are always with her. We are getting 13.4 mpg so far at 450 miles on the odo. I noticed that people in this forum with higher miles on their odo have better fuel efficiency. Why is that? I've just never heard of getting better fuel efficiency as the car gets broken in.

2. Also, the fuel gauge was almost on E so she filled it up last night. She said it took almost 17 gallons of fuel. I know the tank takes 22 gallons. Then, she checked the range on a full tank (the needle is past full). The computer says 267 miles. Shouldn't it be closer to 300 miles? Are all these normal?
The milage should improve as the car gets broken in, loosened up some etc. When that occurs, everyone seems to have thier own number, but I have always heard around 2-3000 miles. As far as the range goes, that is just a mathematical equation based on your average mpg so at 13.4 times 22 gallons that should put you around 294 as you thought. Maybe the current milage right before fill-up was less than the 13.4 average over the 450 miles so the calculation is off. I am sorry you are getting such poor city milage.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I also only get 13 mpg city and 16 hgwy. I just had the transmission flash upgrade done on Saturday so I am praying to see a change for the better. The dealer said the winter grade gas will also give lower mileage amounts. I have 4k miles on mine now.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Enclavious, i just had the tranny flash done last week and my mpg went down to 13 and 16-17. I read your other post and our vehicles are eerily similar.....

·
Registered
37 Posts
On my first 252 miles, no freeway driving we got 12 mpg. It is a AWD and I was not expecting such a low MPG but hopefully after break-in we will get better.

·
Registered
358 Posts
God lord if my mpg DROPS with this trany flash I will seriously trade it in. I love the car but I'm not going to sacrifice that much gas each week. It's sad that my sister's Tahoe gets better mileage than I do.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have almost 10k on my FWD Enclave. I switched to Mobil 1 synthetic oil at 3K miles, and I'm at 40% oil life awaiting the second oil change. I've been averaging 19.5 MPG. I drive about 75% HWY and 25% city. I reset my DIC at each fill up. I think it's important to reset it at each fill up to properly gauge your MPG's. I manually compare the DIC MPG to my own calculations. They are pretty much right on. I don't have a lead foot, but I don't drive like a grandpa either. I'm happy with my mileage.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
We only have 10% ethanol gas available in St. Louis. We average about 16.4 mpg on in-town driving. I averaged 21.6 mpg on a highway-only trip of about 520 miles when the Enclave only had a few miles on it. I've been pretty satisfied with the mileage so far, especially considering we are running a 10% ethanol blend.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I have gotten about 15.5 mpg in the first 400 miles. This has been mostly in town. Hope to get better mpg after I stop sitting in the driveway idling for while I play with all the neat stuff.

·
Registered
379 Posts
We haven't been getting great mileage either. Although, my partner does mostly interstate driving and gets about 17.5 as a rule.

·
Registered
103 Posts
For the first few hundred miles we achieved between 11 and 13 mpg - all city in the San Fernando Valley (Southern California). Now with just under 800 miles, seems no matter what we do (floor it or nurse it) we are at 15.5 mpg - all city. Where we are now is what I had anticipated. No major road trips yet. We took on short FWY trip doing around 65 t0 75 - I reset the DIC when we got on the FWY and it was registering 22.5 mpg. We have had the car for about 45 days. If it gets better, I would be surprised. We love the car though and don't really drive that much. Under a different post, the difference in mileage between what we had (1998 Olds Minivan) and the Enclave works out to about 2 mpg, which amounts to less than $300 extra in gas per year (at 3.25 per gal and 10,000 per year). Not a large amount at all.

·
Registered
200 Posts
A recent 1400 mile trip from NJ to FL produced 20.5 mpg at freeway speeds, i.e. 70 mph. Odometer started at 200 miles. "Brown Bess" is FWD and I use regular gas.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I have noticed the following highway mileage "trend". Averaging 68-72 mph gives us about 23-24 mpg and 74-78 gives about 21-22, over 80 and it drops off dramatically to about 18-19 mpg. City mileage is consistently about 14 - 16.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Now at 13,000 miles; MPG average is 21.6. Last trip was 300 miles, mostly at 70-75 mph, 24.1 mpg. City driving is 17 mpg. Transmission program updated.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
bsox said:
The milage should improve as the car gets broken in, loosened up some etc. When that occurs, everyone seems to have thier own number, but I have always heard around 2-3000 miles.
So when Buick advertise 16 mpg city, do they mean after 2-3000 miles? I thought break in ends at 500 miles? Can someone please give a more technical explanation why the car needs to get loosen up before getting better gas mileage? Seriously, this is the first I've heard of this.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Our recent trip from Orange County, CA to Las Vegas at an average hwy speed of 70-72 mph and downtown Vegas strip driving, we averaged 19.6 mpg for the 550 mile trip. We now have 1525 miles on the Clavemobile. We use regular fuel.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
In 2200 miles, mostly city or heavy freeway traffic, I'm at 16.5. I'd like it to be better. Am planning a road trip later this week - will see how I do on the freeways.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I reset the DIC at fill up. Now it's worse at 12.2 mpg with city driving.

·
Registered
28 Posts
ON I-40 in Oklahoma (only slight inclines) we got 25.7 mpg. :happy:

1 - 20 of 116 Posts