EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prior to a long trip, I added a couple of bottles of fuel sysyem cleaner with Techron. Just wondering if all, or any of the many products available are really worth it? Today I saw gum-out concentated fuel injector cleaner for $1.99 and many other pruducts ranging from $1.35 to $7.99 a bottle. Marketing?

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Chevron with techron is the only one I buy and use.
the other stuff- I just pass up.

I also ran a bottle right before my last oil change- prior to driving LA-FL.
I like to run the Fuel System cleaner version- to keep the fuel level float sensor clean.
But Techron is what I use and recommend.

Techron is good enough that BMW and GM (and others I think) resell it in their own bottles.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
Ive also read that GM does not recommend FUEL injector cleaners/services... and only recommends some GM cleaner with a part # they gave-- and I suspect that its the one shown above.... which is basically techron. (anybody remember reading this?)

·
Registered
10,405 Posts
rbarrios said:
Ive also read that GM does not recommend FUEL injector cleaners/services... and only recommends some GM cleaner with a part # they gave-- and I suspect that its the one shown above.... which is basically techron. (anybody remember reading this?)
This was discussed on the Acadia board that GM does not recommend the fuel injector cleaner and I think someone identified where they read it.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
techron I believe also uses the PLUS name too- which correlates to this....
(yup- its right on the Techron bottle -PLUS)
(theres also a GM top end cleaner).

GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS
Beginning in October 2005, GMSPO is filling orders for GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS p/n 88861011 (88861012 in Canada).

The PLUS portion of GM Fuel System Treatment is the addition of a "filmer" additive that, when used regularly, can protect fuel sending units from the corrosive effects of sulfur contaminants found in some of today's gasoline.

Sulfur contamination may disrupt electrical continuity of fuel sending units and lead to erratic or false fuel gauge readings (fig. 11). When used regularly, GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS provides protection against the effects of harmful sulfurs in gasoline (fig. 12

One bottle of GM Fuel System Treatment PLUS added to the fuel tank at each oil change:

Cleans:Â sulfur corrosion from fuel gauge sending units.

Prevents:Â harmful sulfur components from attacking sensitive fuel system electronics.

Protects:Â by coating metallic surfaces of the fuel system.

Removes:Â engine deposits left from use of poor quality fuels.

TIP:Â Fuel System Treatment PLUS replaces GM Fuel System Treatment p/n 12345104 (89020804 in Canada).

·
Registered
848 Posts
I don't know if the sale is still going, but I picked up a couple bottles at Advance Auto a little over a week ago. It was buy one, get one free on the smaller bottles (12 gallon).

·
Registered
101 Posts
There are benefits to the use of a quality fuel system cleaner, but with DI engines, the intake valves never get fuel sprayed on them like conventional engines....

Take a look at the Audi DI engine intake valve problems, etc and a fuel cleaner won't do anything to clean them.

Chevron, Redline, and Amsoil are the best out there. use anything with PEA in it !

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
along with the above mentioned I really like Seafoam

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Sailfish said:
This was discussed on the Acadia board that GM does not recommend the fuel injector cleaner and I think someone identified where they read it.
Funny my dealership tried to sell me on a fuel injection cleaning at my last service

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
thats what I read about the fuel not being sprayed on top for the reason you mention.
But im hoping it does something for these DI injectors. and more important- that the fuel level sender stays clean. dont need any issues with having to replace the fuel pump (this was a widespread problem on the Trailblazers/Envoys.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So...all the directions seem to basically read the same. Add to fuel tank when almost empty...prior to filling the tank with gas. Is this done to maximize the concentration at the fuel sender and engine components? Seems to me the cleaner would be mixed when fuel is added to the tank.

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
its done to mix the solution with the gas.
note that techron is sold in 12 gallon treatments and 22 gallon treatments.
I like the bigger bottle because well our tanks are about 22 gallons.

Also- check walmart- they sell Techron fuel system cleaner. They dont always carry the 22 gal treatment bottle-- but it is cheaper than auto parts.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
Is the GM Fuel System Treatment automatically added to the tank at the Maintenance I and Maintenance II (or their equivalent-my dealer claims that GM is abandoning that recommendation in favor of what is essentially the equivalent of Maintenance II at every oil change now) services at the dealer? ???

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
I add a bottle of techron about every 10K- or every 2 oil changes on the Traverse.
I add it 1 tankful before its due for an oil change.

I did the same on my Trailblazer... also about every 10-11K... which was every oil change on that car(OLM at 0% = up to 11,500 on that vehicle)

·
Registered
101 Posts
In addition to Redline SI-1 at 1 oz to 5 gallons of gas, I use Redline Water Remover and System Antifreeze at 1 oz to 10 gallons.

After long talks with Dave at Redline, the product uses "emsulsion" properties vs. "demulsification". Huge debates on diesel forums about this, but the redline product will break down the microscopic water molecules and surround them so the emulsified water can safely pass the fuel pump and injector without damage or cause damage to the high pressure injector.

I've been using these products for years in cars and boats and have very pleased. The main reason for the water remover was the lubrication properties of it for the fuel and since these DI engines are very close to a common rail diesel fuel system, I wanted the best protection that I could find for the vehicle.

This is just my opinion

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
I think
adding prior to--- you put it in. and then pump gas-- thorough mixing
adding After fill up---- they would mix less. the techron would take time to mix with the gas. and its possible it could sit at too high a concentration if it didnt mix thoroughly.

Thats how I see it.

·
Super Moderator
21,164 Posts
The gushing flow of the gasoline into the tank will stir and mix the tank's contents (cleaner+fuel) much more vigorously for more thorough mixing of the cleaner compared to relying on the swishing action of the car's driving motions. Pouring the small contents of the cleaner bottle into a full tank would also provide relatively little stirring of the tank's contents.

The bottom line is to add the cleaner after pulling up to the pump, but before pumping the fuel. ;)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Looking to purchase a couple of bottles of Chevron with techron soon and I am Waiting for the buy 1 - get 1 free sale usually offered at autozone or other parts store. Please post when there is a sale for all to stock up. Thks

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
12 Participants
rbarrios
EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community
We’re a forum community dedicated to Buick Enclave SUV owners & enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about upgrades, towing capacity, reliability, and more!
Full Forum Listing