EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having problems with my air conditioner. The driver side vents the one by the door and one in the center are blowing hot air while the passenger side and the rear are blowing cold air. Does anybody have any idea how to fix this?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a similar problem with my a/c. The dealership indicated that I need to replace the rear evaporators. I was shocked how much they want to fix it. They wanted 1200. My car only has 45k miles and the Warranty just expired. We live in the northeast and we don’t use the air conditioning very often. I wonder if it is a manufactured defect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a similar problem with my a/c. The dealership indicated that I need to replace the rear evaporators. I was shocked how much they want to fix it. They wanted 1200. My car only has 45k miles and the Warranty just expired. We live in the northeast and we don’t use the air conditioning very often. I wonder if it is a manufactured defect.
OK. The AC on our 2015 Enclave is driving us nuts. It has failed 3 times since we bought it new In January of 2015. All 3 times it has been due to a rear evaporator failure. The cause of this is fine copper particles being ejected from the rear blower motor on to the rear evaporator unit. This coupled with normal condensation causes the evaporator to corrode rather quickly and leak the refrigerant out. Here is the GM service bulletin. It claims that in applies to Enclaves built in 2015 or earlier but I’m beginning to wonder if it is more extensive than that:

Here is the kicker. We were under the impression when this was fixed for the second time in 2018 that both the blower fan and rear evaporator were the newly designed parts. Come to find out after the 3rd repair this week that we still do not have the rear evaporator installed that matches the part number in the service bulletin. Something appears to be wrong here. Are dealers still installing the older version of the rear evaporator 3 years after the above bulletin came out? Also, why didn’t the newly designed blower fan (which we did get installed in 2018) apparently not prevent another failure? We will be contacting GM if we don’t get some solid answers from the dealership shortly. This is a design defect, no question. Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My is a 2016 Buick. Like I say we live in the northeast so it’s not that hot here. I can’t believe the air conditioner failed so quickly. We also paid 140 for the dealership to diagnose the problem. It is the 4th GM car I‘ve owned. This has never happened before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Spoke with our service advisor at the dealership today. He said the TSB part number for the evaporator I posted above has been superseded multiple times. He assured me that the blower motor and rear evaporator we have in are the most up to date parts.

Since there is clearly no defense for this component failing 3 times in 5 1/2 years, the advisor admitted that they believed the root of the problem is the design of the evaporator itself. The redesigned blower fan may help, but it is not the main problem.

I will get in contact with GM and see if there is any traction on this with them. I expect that, given the history and our driving patterns, the rear evaporator will fail again in the summer of 2022. I have paid out of pocket for the fix once, covered by warranty luckily twice. I’ll get rid of the vehicle prior to the next “scheduled” failure if need be.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It sounds like the Buick a/c problem is part of a widespread problem at gm. There is class action lawsuit against gm for the a/c failure for their other brands and the warranty was extended. I wonder why Buick was not included.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having problems with my air conditioner. The driver side vents the one by the door and one in the center are blowing hot air while the passenger side and the rear are blowing cold air. Does anybody have any idea how to fix this?
I have a 2018 Avenir that had the exact same problem. It was a "plug" in the AC system that was leaking freon. It was replaced and all is good. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2011 Enclave had a similar problem and the dealership fixed it. They said there are some doors in the vent tubes that direct either the hot or cold air from the source out to the vents and a couple of those doors were not working correctly (or at all!). I bought my Enclave in 2012 with 14K on it and this was fixed in 2012. Apparently, the original owner never bothered to have it fixed. It was owned by some travel agency who used it to deliver people to the airport down here in SE Florida. Must have the A/C !!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
OK. The AC on our 2015 Enclave is driving us nuts. It has failed 3 times since we bought it new In January of 2015. All 3 times it has been due to a rear evaporator failure. The cause of this is fine copper particles being ejected from the rear blower motor on to the rear evaporator unit. This coupled with normal condensation causes the evaporator to corrode rather quickly and leak the refrigerant out. Here is the GM service bulletin. It claims that in applies to Enclaves built in 2015 or earlier but I’m beginning to wonder if it is more extensive than that:

Here is the kicker. We were under the impression when this was fixed for the second time in 2018 that both the blower fan and rear evaporator were the newly designed parts. Come to find out after the 3rd repair this week that we still do not have the rear evaporator installed that matches the part number in the service bulletin. Something appears to be wrong here. Are dealers still installing the older version of the rear evaporator 3 years after the above bulletin came out? Also, why didn’t the newly designed blower fan (which we did get installed in 2018) apparently not prevent another failure? We will be contacting GM if we don’t get some solid answers from the dealership shortly. This is a design defect, no question. Good luck.
I took the service bulletin to my dealer for my 2013 and found that bulletins only affect cars still in warranty.

·
Registered
144 Posts
There is an old post about this. It is an actuator door. I believe there are three under the dash. They are accessible but hard to do because of confined space. I did mine myself but was a bit of a struggle but definitely can be done.

·
Registered
144 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
There’s no doubt that it’s a design flaw. They have the same issue in their other brands. They actually extended the warranty in the Tahoe,Yukon and Escalade brand. There also a class action lawsuit out there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts