EnclaveForum.net: Buick Enclave Online Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading the threads and seems like the AWD models have had more issues the the FWD. Does anyone see the benifit of having AWD or would having a FWD be a better choice? I have driven both and I could not notice a difference in the Enclave. I have gotten AWD or 4X4 in the past as I go to the ski areas but I have also had FWD and done fine. Just wanted to see how current owners felt about theirs.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Jas4slk said:
I have been reading the threads and seems like the AWD models have had more issues the the FWD. Does anyone see the benifit of having AWD or would having a FWD be a better choice? I have driven both and I could not notice a difference in the Enclave. I have gotten AWD or 4X4 in the past as I go to the ski areas but I have also had FWD and done fine. Just wanted to see how current owners felt about theirs.
Wouldn't notice the difference until you ran up on a "road condition" - which, in Los Angeles, would most likely be rain! :rofl: (Sorry, couldn't resist with the drought and all......) :angel: Anyways, I live in Camarillo - about 40 min. south of Santa Barbara on the coast - we ordered the FWD - 1) Haven't needed 4wd; 2)Saved $2000. However, if I was going to be heading up into the mountains frequently to ski - personally I would have gone with the AWD - just my own opinion....... :cheers:

·
Registered
17 Posts
That is always a troublesome decision.

The last time I bought a 4-wheel drive Jeep, it seemed like snow never accumulated again. :)

Here in Michigan, our FWD Chevrolet van has been excellent in light snow. It has never been stuck.

However, when we have big snow, I just drive over whatever is in the way using a 4-wheel drive pickup truck, which was recently traded-in.

I expect to drive in areas subject to heavy snow, so my Enclave was ordered in the AWD format.

It seems OK to sacrifice 1-2 MPG of fuel economy, especially with a warranty to cover the more complicated components.

There's a certain peace of mind when you have an AWD vehicle. I could not resist.

Bill

·
Registered
134 Posts
I owned 2 consecutive AWD Chrysler Pacificas before the Enclave.
One day mine was in for sercice on a very rainy day, and they gave me a FWD loaner. When I accelerated from the first traffic light the front wheels slipped like crazy ... never happened with the AWD.
Of course you may have heard the rumor that we get snow in the Buffalo NY area. That, and frequent trips to local ski areas, make AWD a no brainer.
Just don't discount the value of AWD in any low traction situation.
:blob: let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! :blob:

·
Registered
484 Posts
My new yet to be here Enclave will be my first AWD. I wanted an AWD due to the fact my 94 yr old father lives on the other side of a number of snowy mountain passes in Northern California and when he gets sick, I must go, no matter the weather. I test drove the FWD and so am hoping the AWD will drive just as smoothly. It was good to see that one person drove both and felt no difference. Any other experiences out there with regard to Enclaves FWD vs AWD handling?

My blue-gold crystal baby is due to arrive between 11/26 and 12/7. I am patiently waiting after months of searching for the exact one and finally having to order to get what I wanted.
It is taking longer than waiting for a new grandchild.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I started a thread on this a long time ago both here and I think over on the Acadia forums...we went with AWD even though we live in Atlanta...like the extra traction in wet conditions and I have noticed no issues vs. FWD at all (have driven both because as luck would have it my neighbor down the street has one also - I think we have two of the 8 or so that have been sold on our side of metro Atlanta! what are the odds...).

We have driven ours for 4k miles now and had no issues and like the AWD even though it was not a necessity where we live...

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
we live in the mid section of the country and can get some pretty heavy snow, up to 12 or 13 inches at a time, and my dad has a fwd car that has never had any problems, my mom has a 4wd suburban with auto 4wd and it has never really kicked in on the road, but it is helpful on gravel roads.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I live in NYC / LI area and have had driven FWD cars in snow, those didn't even have any stability control, Traction control or ABS!! But of course those vehicles didn't have those choices available otherwise I would have definitely gotten 'em.

Front wheel drives can still survive in snowy conditions, specially in a city/surburban kind of area. However, if spending $2000 more and extra tax on gas mileage doesn't bother you, I would highly recommend getting AWD. Not only you get better traction but also you can easily tow a boat etc.

So far I haven't heard of any problems related with Enclave's AWD system.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we have a fwd acadia and an awd enclave, i can tell that the awd enclave feels much more safer and more glued to the road then the fwd. but the only reasion i have 4wd on my yukon is for MUD

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Gmoney_2010 said:
my mom has a 4wd suburban with auto 4wd and it has never really kicked in on the road, but it is helpful on gravel roads.
How would one know that if it is Auto 4WD? That is the point of it being Auto - it does it on demand, as needed. I am confused.

·
Registered
743 Posts
zman said:
How would one know that if it is Auto 4WD? That is the point of it being Auto - it does it on demand, as needed. I am confused.
He probably means AWD. I've never heard of Automatic 4WD.
My Sierra Denali and my Enclave is AWD and I wouldn't have it any other way.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yup i have auto 4wd, its called auto trak . not stabilitrak auto trak. you push that and you remain in 2wd until the rear wheels ship and it ingauges 4wd until the rear wheels stop spinning. if you want i will get you a pic of the system.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
rocketman said:
He probably means AWD. I've never heard of Automatic 4WD.
My Sierra Denali and my Enclave is AWD and I wouldn't have it any other way.
Well then, this is the right time for you ;)

I have Auto feature in my 2001 Pathfinder 4WD. Set it on Auto and the vehicle mostly drives in RWD, until it senses a slip, up on then it transfer the some of the power (as much as 50%) to Front wheels. In addition to Auto, I have 4H and 4Low options and simply 2WD (RWD).

Enclave AWD works similar. FWD most of the time and can transfer as much 90% to rear wheels (i could be wrong with the % though).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
here are pics, to prove it.

it has been around since they got electronic shifting on all gm trucks and suvs

suburbans and yukons xls dont have awd, enless its a yukon denali. same with the sierras, you get 2wd or 4wd with auto trak, enless its the hd then its 2 4hi or hlo no auto 4wd. its a really confusing world to sombody new, thankfully im not new to the 4wds. now my sierra has no knob to turn because its awd, and a denali.

·
Registered
743 Posts
My Bad !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol you learn somthing every day

just as a rule of thumb with gm trucks and suvs

if its not a denali or esclade, its got eather 2wd or selectable 4wd with auto 4wd, only gmc makes the denali and only cadillac makes the esclade.

sierra had eather 2wd or selectable 4wd with auto 4wd enless it is a heavy duty model then it has no auto 4wd. enless its a denali, then its eather 2wd or AWD.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts